ultimate land rover - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 06:20   #1 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

Thumbs up ultimate land rover

ok pipe up and let us know what you think is the ultimate landy i recon the 101" forward control gets my vote and second would have to be the 80" series1 also lets hear how u would like to modify your fave landy if u had endless funds mine would have to be a land rover ninety lifted to the heavens fited with a v8 ford diesel bronco trans/transfer dana diffs front and rear on the legondary landrover coils with hinged top plates to alow for some serious wheel travel with at least 35" tires or maybe 900x16 rubber on stock wheels.. then again i could just get a bronco lol but its just not a landy
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2003, 06:30   #2 (permalink)
Cookie Boy

Well, Id go for a Disco Chassis and internals (I like having a heater) with a 90/110 body ( know as an IBEX in the UK) Would be looking at extreme suspension (14 inch travel) and a 4 inch spring lift.

Some nice ARB Lockers would not go amiss along with strengthened half shafts and a lower range in the transfer box.

An understanding wife, bank manager and spare time would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil
Old 04-30-2003, 06:38   #3 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

i have seen ibex in lroi in a few issues i think look like a good machine . only land rover transmissions dont seem to take the punishment of the jap machines . i have gone throu 2 rear diffs and rear short half shaft in 7 years tho wasent even pushing hard when thay broke tho the axel broke after 6 months in diff that i welded solid for a compition and never changed it back so 6 months on bitumen road locked solid is not bad for a half shaft .. hmmm im rambleing again
Old 04-30-2003, 06:48   #4 (permalink)
Cookie Boy

I must be lucky, I give commercial off road instruction here and the only thing I've broken (bar brakes and tyres) is a front spring and a few seized bushes.

The A frame ball joint gave up the ghost, but I was pulling a 4 tonne trailer off road at the time :)
Old 04-30-2003, 06:59   #5 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

yeah i killed one of those a frame joints too .. was easy to replace tho :) . where i live most of the bush tracks are very steep and rocky with lose gravel very hard on drive lines. real bad when a wheel with out traction finds real good traction. tho each and every one of my broken diffs had the same problem every one had one or two teeth broken off the side gears and allways the rear diff
Old 05-02-2003, 00:51   #6 (permalink)
Cookie Boy

Easy to replace??????

I was there with a hot torch for 30 minutes warming the joint up :-)

As for the snapping of diffs, I can only guess wind up on the short shaft side. Which entry into the diff was broken?

Cheers,

Neil
Old 05-06-2003, 03:06   #7 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

biggrin

hard to tell cause after ya drive home to replace it all the gears have teeth off
Old 05-07-2003, 03:00   #8 (permalink)
Cookie Boy

Point taken, I'm usually crying into my beer by then.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:39   #9 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

tho the last diff i built up was around $250au useing second hand parts complete centers are around $ 300/350au and are hard to find around my way hence why i made the home made locker the axel is still stuck in side it i cant get it out
Old 05-08-2003, 04:34   #10 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

drove a uni mog today what a hell of a truck i want one bad now but would prefer a 101 still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover