Ford Forums banner

ultimate land rover

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  FTEfan 
#1 ·
ok pipe up and let us know what you think is the ultimate landy i recon the 101" forward control gets my vote and second would have to be the 80" series1 also lets hear how u would like to modify your fave landy if u had endless funds mine would have to be a land rover ninety lifted to the heavens fited with a v8 ford diesel bronco trans/transfer dana diffs front and rear on the legondary landrover coils with hinged top plates to alow for some serious wheel travel with at least 35" tires or maybe 900x16 rubber on stock wheels.. then again i could just get a bronco lol but its just not a landy

#2 ·
Well, I’d go for a Disco Chassis and internals (I like having a heater) with a 90/110 body ( know as an IBEX in the UK) Would be looking at extreme suspension (14 inch travel) and a 4 inch spring lift.

Some nice ARB Lockers would not go amiss along with strengthened half shafts and a lower range in the transfer box.

An understanding wife, bank manager and spare time would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil

#3 ·
i have seen ibex in lroi in a few issues i think look like a good machine . only land rover transmissions dont seem to take the punishment of the jap machines . i have gone throu 2 rear diffs and rear short half shaft in 7 years tho wasent even pushing hard when thay broke tho the axel broke after 6 months in diff that i welded solid for a compition and never changed it back so 6 months on bitumen road locked solid is not bad for a half shaft .. hmmm im rambleing again

#4 ·
I must be lucky, I give commercial off road instruction here and the only thing I've broken (bar brakes and tyres) is a front spring and a few seized bushes.

The A frame ball joint gave up the ghost, but I was pulling a 4 tonne trailer off road at the time :)

#5 ·
yeah i killed one of those a frame joints too .. was easy to replace tho :) . where i live most of the bush tracks are very steep and rocky with lose gravel very hard on drive lines. real bad when a wheel with out traction finds real good traction. tho each and every one of my broken diffs had the same problem every one had one or two teeth broken off the side gears and allways the rear diff

#6 ·
Easy to replace??????

I was there with a hot torch for 30 minutes warming the joint up :)

As for the snapping of diffs, I can only guess wind up on the short shaft side. Which entry into the diff was broken?

Cheers,

Neil

#9 ·
tho the last diff i built up was around $250au useing second hand parts complete centers are around $ 300/350au and are hard to find around my way hence why i made the home made locker the axel is still stuck in side it i cant get it out:box: :beer2:

#16 ·
D90s are now available here in Australia.
For my ultimate LR I would use a 300TDI Disco, auto. Wolf or Rapier military axles, can't remember which ones are better. ARB lockers both ends. Trick suspension mounts for flex. OME LTR shocks and heavy duty coils. The trick steering and swaybars with disconnects. Wolf rims with Michelin XCL rubber for offroad and the 16" XS Alloys with BFG All Terrian KOs for general use. ARB bar work with Warn winch. Safety Devices Camel cage. Cibie and Hella HID lights. Comms gear that makes the Army green with envy. Oh and a Safe-n-Sound child seat in the back for when we have kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.