Upper tailgate needs a good slam - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 05:01   #1 (permalink)
Pacman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Upper tailgate needs a good slam

My upper tailgate takes quite a bit of effort to get it to close
properly. I have to give it a good slam in order for it to lock into
place. Are there any adjustments that can be made so it takes less
effort?


--
Thanks,
Paul
--------------------
1992 RRC Vogue SE

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upper tailgate needs a good slam

During stardate 31 Oct 2005 04:06:55 -0800, "Pacman"
<p_a_cherry@hotmail.com> uttered the imortal words:

>My upper tailgate takes quite a bit of effort to get it to close
>properly. I have to give it a good slam in order for it to lock into
>place. Are there any adjustments that can be made so it takes less
>effort?



I had this with Alfie. It's a bit of a bugger on a Rangie of your age
as the issues which can cause this are many.

1. Spring within the lock it's self failed. You will be able to tell
this by grabbing the lock and pulling it away from the car. If it
raises around 1cm then the spring is stuffed. To be extra sure lock
the lock and then shut the boot. If it's corroded away, when unlocked
as you slam the lid it opens it's self at the same time due to the
momentum of the tailgate.

2. Rust / Corrosion around the catches where they go through the
tailgate. This causes the mechanisims to jam up into the open
position. Cure, remove and clean-up if your lucky you can refit

3. Worn catches either end. Reveals it's self as one catch catching
and the other doesn't. Though this could also be indicative of 2
above.

4. General corrosion in the tailgate frame allowing movement of the
tailgate sufficent to allow the rods to move and open the latches in
the moment when you least want them too.

Check your tailgate for corrosion. I just replaced my 1990 Rangie
Tailgate before selling it with an Ally one. 299 but well worth it if
your keeping it. Also factor in getting new catches as I'll bet they
are corroded through on the section where there rods go through the
tailgate. Most importantly. When you adjust the any alterations, first
close try with the bottom tailgate down, especially if you have a dog
guard /rear shelf fitted. It takes a while to get the rods adjusted
right so that the tailgate will open again.. bummer if you have to
climb in to pull the rods.

Once you think your sorted if you do fit a new tailgate beware the
fitting of the rubber water seal on the lower edge as this usually
requires reagustment all over again.


Have fun!


Lee D
--
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

www.lrproject.com
'76 101 Camper
'64 88" IIa V8 Auto
'97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd
'01 Laguna
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
AJG
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upper tailgate needs a good slam

In message <nrecm19u1g8rsmufogpi3ksd9o76f0hist@4ax.com>, Lee_D
<leeNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> writes
>During stardate 31 Oct 2005 04:06:55 -0800, "Pacman"
><p_a_cherry@hotmail.com> uttered the imortal words:
>
>>My upper tailgate takes quite a bit of effort to get it to close
>>properly. I have to give it a good slam in order for it to lock into
>>place. Are there any adjustments that can be made so it takes less
>>effort?

>
>

And the one thing Lee and most others fail to mention ... make sure the
bottom tailgate is well seated first. If the catches have gone a bit
sloppy you will be using the top tailgate to pull up the bottom as well,
obviously making it harder to shut. It's well worth checking - just shut
the bottom tailgate and give it a good push and pull and tweak the
catches if necessary.

--
AndyG
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Pacman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upper tailgate needs a good slam


>
>
> I had this with Alfie. It's a bit of a bugger on a Rangie of your age
> as the issues which can cause this are many.
>

<big snip>

Sorry, forgot to mention that the tailgate was replaced by an LR dealer
about 5 years ago...no sign of corrosion!

--
Thanks,
Paul
--


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:01   #5 (permalink)
willie@macleod-group.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upper tailgate needs a good slam


Pacman wrote:
> My upper tailgate takes quite a bit of effort to get it to close
> properly. I have to give it a good slam in order for it to lock into
> place. Are there any adjustments that can be made so it takes less
> effort?


No-one else seems to mention closing it by pressing it down at each end
instead of using the handle till you diagnose & fix it with all the
methods every else Lee D lists?

Regards

William MacLeod

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 18:01   #6 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upper tailgate needs a good slam

Pacman <p_a_cherry@hotmail.com> uttered summat worrerz funny about:
>> I had this with Alfie. It's a bit of a bugger on a Rangie of your age
>> as the issues which can cause this are many.
>>

> <big snip>
>
> Sorry, forgot to mention that the tailgate was replaced by an LR
> dealer about 5 years ago...no sign of corrosion!
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Paul


Did they fit new catches??

like these..

<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/projectpercy/howto/thumbs/imagepages/image7.htm>

or just fit the old ones on? If they fittef the old ones then they may be
past their best.

Lee D
--

www.lrproject.com
Toy list--
'76 101 Camper (Just don't mention it was a prototype!)
'64 88" IIa V8 Auto
'97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd
'01 Laguna


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Derek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Upper tailgate needs a good slam


"Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in message
news:3st6tvFpqjb6U1@individual.net...
> Pacman <p_a_cherry@hotmail.com> uttered summat worrerz funny about:
> >> I had this with Alfie. It's a bit of a bugger on a Rangie of your age
> >> as the issues which can cause this are many.
> >>

> > <big snip>
> >
> > Sorry, forgot to mention that the tailgate was replaced by an LR
> > dealer about 5 years ago...no sign of corrosion!
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Paul

>
> Did they fit new catches??
>
> like these..
>
>

<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/project...ages/image7.ht
m>
>
> or just fit the old ones on? If they fittef the old ones then they may be
> past their best.
>
> Lee D
> --
>
> www.lrproject.com
> Toy list--
> '76 101 Camper (Just don't mention it was a prototype!)
> '64 88" IIa V8 Auto
> '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd
> '01 Laguna
>

Are you closing the tail gate using the patented method of pushing down at
both sides simultaneously rather than just pushing the handle down. That way
engages both locks simultaneously rather than allowing the frame to flex as
it does when you just hang on to the handle .
Derek


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.