V8 Alternator problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-05, 05:01 AM
Rob Hunt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
V8 Alternator problem

I have the following symptoms on a 1984 3.5 V8 90:

Charge light comes on as normal before starting engine, When I start the
engine it goes dim but as you rev the engine it gets brighter. According to
the bible it is the main output diode that has gone open circuit. Is this
something that

1. I can do anything about (without complete new Alternator)
2. My normal landrover garage can deal with

or do i need a specialist auto-electrician to refurb the alternator.

also why does my alternator not look like any of the ones in the manual

Any advice is appreciated

Rob

--
http://www.4x4-fun.co.uk - for the Boys
http://www.fairyfriends.co.uk - for the Girls




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-05, 05:01 AM
Richard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8 Alternator problem

What does the alternator look like? Is it not a Lucas one? Any numbers etc
on it?
Richard


"Rob Hunt" <rob@visualr.co.uk> wrote in message
news:4307096a$1$1282$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
>I have the following symptoms on a 1984 3.5 V8 90:
>
> Charge light comes on as normal before starting engine, When I start the
> engine it goes dim but as you rev the engine it gets brighter. According
> to
> the bible it is the main output diode that has gone open circuit. Is this
> something that
>
> 1. I can do anything about (without complete new Alternator)
> 2. My normal landrover garage can deal with
>
> or do i need a specialist auto-electrician to refurb the alternator.
>
> also why does my alternator not look like any of the ones in the manual
>
> Any advice is appreciated
>
> Rob
>
> --
> http://www.4x4-fun.co.uk - for the Boys
> http://www.fairyfriends.co.uk - for the Girls
>
>
>
>



 
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-05, 01:01 PM
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8 Alternator problem


"Richard" <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
news:q0ENe.9199$Il.2484@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> What does the alternator look like? Is it not a Lucas one? Any numbers etc
> on it?
> Richard
>
>
> "Rob Hunt" <rob@visualr.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:4307096a$1$1282$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
>>I have the following symptoms on a 1984 3.5 V8 90:
>>
>> Charge light comes on as normal before starting engine, When I start the
>> engine it goes dim but as you rev the engine it gets brighter. According
>> to
>> the bible it is the main output diode that has gone open circuit. Is this
>> something that
>>
>> 1. I can do anything about (without complete new Alternator)


Quite likely, assuming parts are available.

>> 2. My normal landrover garage can deal with


Yes, if they are competent and not just "change the broken bit monkeys".

>> or do i need a specialist auto-electrician to refurb the alternator.


Might be best solution, at least they know what they are doing and generally
give some sort of warranty on their work.

>> also why does my alternator not look like any of the ones in the manual


'Cos it's been replaced at some time??
Badger.


 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-05, 06:01 PM
Samuel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8 Alternator problem


"Badger" <brianhatton@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:de7rii$65j$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
> "Richard" <NO.SPAM@AT.NOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:q0ENe.9199$Il.2484@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > What does the alternator look like? Is it not a Lucas one? Any numbers

etc
> > on it?
> > Richard
> >
> >
> > "Rob Hunt" <rob@visualr.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:4307096a$1$1282$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...
> >>I have the following symptoms on a 1984 3.5 V8 90:
> >>
> >> Charge light comes on as normal before starting engine, When I start

the
> >> engine it goes dim but as you rev the engine it gets brighter.

According
> >> to
> >> the bible it is the main output diode that has gone open circuit. Is

this
> >> something that
> >>
> >> 1. I can do anything about (without complete new Alternator)

>
> Quite likely, assuming parts are available.
>
> >> 2. My normal landrover garage can deal with

>
> Yes, if they are competent and not just "change the broken bit monkeys".
>
> >> or do i need a specialist auto-electrician to refurb the alternator.

>
> Might be best solution, at least they know what they are doing and

generally
> give some sort of warranty on their work.
>
> >> also why does my alternator not look like any of the ones in the manual

>
> 'Cos it's been replaced at some time??
> Badger.
>


If the Alternator is getting a bit old, a complete recon is probably worth
it for piece of mind. i had a large diesel alternator completely reconned
about six months ago (cost a little over $200 AUS) and it came back looking
brand new. i reckon you'll probably save in the long run if you get the
whole thing done at once. Just my thoughts anyway, and i dont know what your
alternator wil cost but i can't imagine it will be all that much more.

Cheers.

Sam.


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome