V8's n stuff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 03:01   #1 (permalink)
Graham G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
V8's n stuff

On the way back from malvern, my 101 started running like a bag of spanners.
Its been playing up a lot lately. To begin with, periodically you would be
going up through the gears and suddenly find yourself with no power or revs.
The only way I can describe it is as if you had pulled the choke out. This
would only happen occasionally. It would also misfire on decelleration.
Anyway, last night it started this again, except it got worse, coughing to
get up hills, I'm sur it was only running on 5 cylinders some of the time.
It sounded awful, was lumpy and had no power. De celleration was even worse.

Now I'm out of my depth with petrol engines, give me a diesel any day to
work on! So I'm a bit lost as to waht might be causing this. My first
thought is to replace the points, condensor and plugs. I'm also wondering
whether to buy a set of magnecor leads (am wondering whether one or more are
breaking down). Am I looking in the right place, or barking up the wrong
tree entirely?

Also am toying with the idea of a electronic ignition convertion from
newtronics, esp on 101fc R/B that's been gassed, any thoughts??

Graham


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2005, 03:01   #2 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff

In message <deukg0$l0n$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
"Graham G" <NOSPAM@here.com> wrote:

> On the way back from malvern, my 101 started running like a bag of spanners.
> Its been playing up a lot lately. To begin with, periodically you would be
> going up through the gears and suddenly find yourself with no power or revs.
> The only way I can describe it is as if you had pulled the choke out. This
> would only happen occasionally. It would also misfire on decelleration.
> Anyway, last night it started this again, except it got worse, coughing to
> get up hills, I'm sur it was only running on 5 cylinders some of the time.
> It sounded awful, was lumpy and had no power. De celleration was even worse.
>
> Now I'm out of my depth with petrol engines, give me a diesel any day to
> work on! So I'm a bit lost as to waht might be causing this. My first
> thought is to replace the points, condensor and plugs. I'm also wondering
> whether to buy a set of magnecor leads (am wondering whether one or more are
> breaking down). Am I looking in the right place, or barking up the wrong
> tree entirely?
>
> Also am toying with the idea of a electronic ignition convertion from
> newtronics, esp on 101fc R/B that's been gassed, any thoughts??
>
> Graham
>
>


I think you may be in the right area - but it does also sound like
fuel starvation as happened on mine.
Remove the filter element (just for testing purposes) from the fuel
filter - does that make any odds? Also have a look round for in-line
fuel filters (mine had one hidden under the floor where it could
not be seen!) - if there are any, change them - they can look
pristine but be partially blocked.

That should take care of this afternoon and avoid having to visit
Granny.......

Richard

--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Helping keep Land Rovers on and off the road to annoy the Lib Dems
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:01   #3 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff

On or around Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:51:52 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd
<beamendsltd@btconnect.com> enlightened us thusly:

>In message <deukg0$l0n$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
> "Graham G" <NOSPAM@here.com> wrote:
>
>
>I think you may be in the right area - but it does also sound like
>fuel starvation as happened on mine.
>Remove the filter element (just for testing purposes) from the fuel
>filter - does that make any odds? Also have a look round for in-line
>fuel filters (mine had one hidden under the floor where it could
>not be seen!) - if there are any, change them - they can look
>pristine but be partially blocked.
>


since it's on carbs, the symptoms could match one dodgy carb or one carb
starving.

do they have oil dampers in 'em? if so, check there's oil; lack of oil in
the top of carbs which should have such is a source of all manner of ills.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.net my opinions are just that
"There are three sorts of people in the world - those who can count,
and those who can't" (Anon)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Andy Fox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff


"Graham G" <NOSPAM@here.com> wrote in message
news:deukg0$l0n$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> On the way back from malvern, my 101 started running like a bag of

spanners.
> Its been playing up a lot lately. To begin with, periodically you would be
> going up through the gears and suddenly find yourself with no power or

revs.
> The only way I can describe it is as if you had pulled the choke out. This
> would only happen occasionally. It would also misfire on decelleration.
> Anyway, last night it started this again, except it got worse, coughing to
> get up hills, I'm sur it was only running on 5 cylinders some of the time.
> It sounded awful, was lumpy and had no power. De celleration was even

worse.
>


Has it got stromberg carbs? If so may be worth checking the rubber
diaphragms.



>

Now I'm out of my depth with petrol engines, give me a diesel any day to
> work on!


Haven't accidently given it a dose of diesel, have you?!!


For excellent V8 help it's worth signing up to
http://www.v-8.org.uk/forum/default.asp (free).

Andy

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Graham G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff

> I think you may be in the right area - but it does also sound like
> fuel starvation as happened on mine.
> Remove the filter element (just for testing purposes) from the fuel
> filter - does that make any odds? Also have a look round for in-line
> fuel filters (mine had one hidden under the floor where it could
> not be seen!) - if there are any, change them - they can look
> pristine but be partially blocked.


Wondered if it might have been fuel. With diesels it generally is, however
with my limited experience of petrols, it has always seemed to be
electrical. Will give it a whirl. Thanks.


> That should take care of this afternoon and avoid having to visit
> Granny.......


Only just got in from work (3pm) so both are out. A cold beer in the garden
might be the order of things shortly!

Graham


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
Graham G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff

> since it's on carbs, the symptoms could match one dodgy carb or one carb
> starving.


> do they have oil dampers in 'em? if so, check there's oil; lack of oil in
> the top of carbs which should have such is a source of all manner of ills.


Er, not sure, as I said petrols really aren't my thing. Call me stupid (I'm
waiting) but how would I know? Any particular type of oil needed?

Give me a tractor engine any day. Would have stripped and re-built it by now
:o)

Graham


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Graham G
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff

> Has it got stromberg carbs? If so may be worth checking the rubber
> diaphragms


???? Pass, like I said, treat me like a novice on this one.

> Now I'm out of my depth with petrol engines, give me a diesel any day to
>> work on!

>
> Haven't accidently given it a dose of diesel, have you?!!


You're the second person to suggest that, but no, deffinately not. As I said
this has been an ongoing problem that appears to have got worse. My first
instinct was points. I know from experience what an effect worn points can
have. I'm fine with nice simple things like that, I can even cope with the
whole spark plug and ignition thing, but carbs and diagnosis with petrol
engines and i'm affraid it might as well be a foreighn language. I've taken
lawnmower carbs to bits to clean them, but thats about as far as it goes.
Generally take Martyn's approach and get a "warren" if carbs are involved.

Graham


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff

"Graham G" <NOSPAM@here.com> wrote in message
news:deukg0$l0n$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> On the way back from malvern, my 101 started running like a bag of
> spanners. Its been playing up a lot lately. To begin with, periodically
> you would be going up through the gears and suddenly find yourself with no
> power or revs. The only way I can describe it is as if you had pulled the
> choke out. This would only happen occasionally. It would also misfire on
> decelleration. Anyway, last night it started this again, except it got
> worse, coughing to get up hills, I'm sur it was only running on 5
> cylinders some of the time. It sounded awful, was lumpy and had no power.
> De celleration was even worse.
>
> Now I'm out of my depth with petrol engines, give me a diesel any day to
> work on! So I'm a bit lost as to waht might be causing this. My first
> thought is to replace the points, condensor and plugs. I'm also wondering
> whether to buy a set of magnecor leads (am wondering whether one or more
> are breaking down). Am I looking in the right place, or barking up the
> wrong tree entirely?
>
> Also am toying with the idea of a electronic ignition convertion from
> newtronics, esp on 101fc R/B that's been gassed, any thoughts??
>
> Graham


I find this on my Ambi and now I'm looking towards two potential causes.

Having finally got the dizzy bolted down tight (the Ambi compressor
prevented it being tightened previously) I've now slowly begun replacing the
odd spark plug lead. I fitted a full set and started to get symptoms like
yours. The main give away was that once the engine is off remove one lead at
a time and see if it's any worse.

Does she get worse when hot? This is probably the leads breaking down due to
the heat.

The biggest give away was running the engine in the dark with the lid off.
The thing lit up like a christmas tree! I replaced two or three of the new
leads with come from a donor engine that were as old as the ark and we've
been relatively ok since.

I now have to sort the O rings on the carbs as they are creating a strong
pong of petrol and I'm sure they are leaking so it's pointless trying any
further tunning until thats sorted. Find out what carbs you have. The Haynes
Range rover classic manual should assist with this or check to see if they
are the same as the standard 101 ones on the free to download mannuals.

I'm saving coppers for the dogs wotnot leads as we speak.

Also worth checking vacume advance hoses haven't come adrift or perished.

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff

"Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in message
news:3ngo8dF1e21sU2@individual.net...

> Also worth checking vacume advance hoses haven't come adrift or perished.
>
> Lee D


Did you have the lid off at Malvern? Could someone have leaned on the dizzy?

Also check the inside of the dizzy cap.. they need to be clinically clean..
The run may have dislodged something pooey.

It could also be the cam shaft on the way out but I'd expect that to be a
more gradual symptom.

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:01   #10 (permalink)
Andy Fox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V8's n stuff


"Graham G" <NOSPAM@here.com> wrote in message
news:3ngkidF1d8jaU1@individual.net...
>As I said this has been an ongoing problem that appears to have got worse.


If you can see the tops the Strombergs usually have Stromberg or Zenith on
them. If they are, the diaphragm controls the fuel/air mixture for all
engine speeds - if the diaphragm on one carb has torn it will affect 4
cylinders, hence the feeling it is only running on about 5. The faulty carb
will usually be reasonable at tickover but as the engine load increases it
gets worse.

Also, it can start as a small tear in the rubber and grow over a few weeks.

If your v8 has SU carbs instead then forget all the above as they don't use
diaphragms!

If you can get the plugs out, that might tell you something. If any are wet
they have been getting fuel but no spark. If they look OK they may have been
sparking but have no fuel to burn.

I think you need to work out when the problem occurs whether:
all cylinders are struggling - possibly fuel supply (pump/filter),
coil/points/condenser ie something common to all pots.
4 cylinders are struggling - one of the carbs - each carb feeds 4 cylinders
independently.
1 cylinder missing - plug, lead or distributor cap.

I'm not sure about accessibility on 101's so can't suggest where to start
first, but ignition bits are really service items anyway so there's no
effort wasted there. Carb diaphragms are very easy to change and even easier
to check, you don't have to remove the carbs from the engine.

I've no idea why, but I've noticed on my v8 if one plug stops firing the
power seems to drop to about 25 per cent of normal! On a 4 cylinder it only
seems to drop to about 75 per cent!

Andy Fox
110 V8

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.