why i wish I still had a Land Rover - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2005, 05:01   #1 (permalink)
MVP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
why i wish I still had a Land Rover

tried to take the wife into work this morning...
lesson 1, cornwall county council don't have a clue about how to deal
with snow and ice.
lesson 2, jaguars are hard work in snow and ice.
it took every ounce of driving skill to get as far as I did, before
deciding that I didn't fancy doing the same trip again in a few hours
to pick her up again. have to admit, it'd be well within my abilities
to make that trip in a land rover.
cornwall is currently closed for business.
bugger.

--
Mark.
www.mvp-fine-art.co.uk
www.markvarleyphoto.co.uk
www.mvp-gallery.com
www.4x4info.info
www.beautifulbondage.net
www.shoot-to-thrill.com
www.bespoke-bondage.com
"nec aspera terrent"



.................................................................
Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2005, 08:01   #2 (permalink)
Austin Shackles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

On or around Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:28:02 +0000, MVP
<mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> enlightened us thusly:

>tried to take the wife into work this morning...
>lesson 1, cornwall county council don't have a clue about how to deal
>with snow and ice.
>lesson 2, jaguars are hard work in snow and ice.
>it took every ounce of driving skill to get as far as I did, before
>deciding that I didn't fancy doing the same trip again in a few hours
>to pick her up again. have to admit, it'd be well within my abilities
>to make that trip in a land rover.
>cornwall is currently closed for business.


so's this area, or rather the schools are.

If we're really going to have a hard winter with lots of snow and ice, we
need a bit of a rethink about how we deal with it. I'm buggered if I'm
going to lose more then a few days income 'cos of an inch of snow on the
road. I reckon I could have done my school route this morning...

it's just not practical for more than a couple of days to say "we can't get
there 'cos of the snow".

Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
Dave Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

Austin Shackles wrote:
> On or around Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:28:02 +0000, MVP
> <mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> enlightened us thusly:


>>cornwall is currently closed for business.


> so's this area, or rather the schools are.


> Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.


It's all part of being British, to follow these simple rules :-
- act completely surprised when we get any snow even though the weather
man has been saying it for the last few days,
- lose all ability to drive safely (not that many had that ability
anyway considering some of the stupid driving I've seen in the rain)
- panic and abandon your car when you get the slightest wheel spin so
others with better grip can't get past even if they were able to
- still go out in just a T-shirt to pop into the shops then get
hypothermia when you're stranded
- have a reactive gritter system rather than the usual proactive system
most country's seem to have no problem with,

the list goes on ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:02   #4 (permalink)
hugh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

In message <oe7eo1l33bqopdgg98h678lf14erf8u2j6@4ax.com>, Austin Shackles
<austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> writes
>On or around Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:28:02 +0000, MVP
><mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> enlightened us thusly:
>
>>tried to take the wife into work this morning...
>>lesson 1, cornwall county council don't have a clue about how to deal
>>with snow and ice.
>>lesson 2, jaguars are hard work in snow and ice.
>>it took every ounce of driving skill to get as far as I did, before
>>deciding that I didn't fancy doing the same trip again in a few hours
>>to pick her up again. have to admit, it'd be well within my abilities
>>to make that trip in a land rover.
>>cornwall is currently closed for business.

>
>so's this area, or rather the schools are.
>
>If we're really going to have a hard winter with lots of snow and ice, we
>need a bit of a rethink about how we deal with it. I'm buggered if I'm
>going to lose more then a few days income 'cos of an inch of snow on the
>road. I reckon I could have done my school route this morning...
>
>it's just not practical for more than a couple of days to say "we can't get
>there 'cos of the snow".
>
>Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.

Don't understand it. As a kid I lived in a rural village in the Pennine
Dales and we very rarely missed a day at school in the Winter - and the
roads were covered with packed snow.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid at the time of posting
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:02   #5 (permalink)
Paul S. Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

hugh wrote:

>>
>>Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.

> Don't understand it. As a kid I lived in a rural village in the
> Pennine Dales and we very rarely missed a day at school in the Winter
> - and the roads were covered with packed snow.


Ditto here across most of Scotland.

I have a distinct feeling that the average aptitude of any given driver
has dropped over the last few years. What has caused this I couldn't
say, but I'm going to blame electrickery and the fact that a car is now
seen as a right rather than a privilege as it used to be.

P.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:02   #6 (permalink)
rads
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:38:09 +0000, "Paul S. Brown"
<usenet060103@geekstuff.tv> wrote:

>hugh wrote:
>
>>>
>>>Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.

>> Don't understand it. As a kid I lived in a rural village in the
>> Pennine Dales and we very rarely missed a day at school in the Winter
>> - and the roads were covered with packed snow.

>
>Ditto here across most of Scotland.
>
>I have a distinct feeling that the average aptitude of any given driver
>has dropped over the last few years. What has caused this I couldn't
>say, but I'm going to blame electrickery and the fact that a car is now
>seen as a right rather than a privilege as it used to be.
>
>P.


Is it also possible that modern cars, with wide low profiles are
actually worse in the snow than their narrow tyred forebears?

David
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:02   #7 (permalink)
Richard Brookman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

....and Paul S. Brown spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...


> hugh wrote:
>
>>>
>>> Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.

>> Don't understand it. As a kid I lived in a rural village in the
>> Pennine Dales and we very rarely missed a day at school in the Winter
>> - and the roads were covered with packed snow.

>
> Ditto here across most of Scotland.
>
> I have a distinct feeling that the average aptitude of any given
> driver has dropped over the last few years. What has caused this I
> couldn't say, but I'm going to blame electrickery and the fact that a
> car is now seen as a right rather than a privilege as it used to be.
>
> P.


No snow in Pembrokeshire this morning, then about lunchtime it came down
thick and fast, about 2" worth. We all got sent home (whooppee) and a
journey that usually takes 20-25 mins took 90. There were no drifts, and no
really slippery conditions, it was just that everyone was driving at 2mph,
then stopping for no reason, then 2mph again. Gridlock over most of the
county. Down here, I think it's because a) no-one has much experience of
it, so it's a "new challenge", and b) the weather people these days make so
much of a meal of any ususual conditions (it may rain tomorrow, so there's a
severe weather warning, and motorists are being advised to stay at home)
that panic sets in before you've even got the stuff scraped off the screen.

As Hugh says, in other parts of the UK we don't think about it. I lived for
many years in East Yorkshire, and the roads were snowbound for weeks at a
time. You learn to deal with it. I never once missed a day's work because
of snow. AND I was driving a 2CV. No Land Rovers for me in those days.

--
Rich
==============================
Disco 300 Tdi auto
S2a 88" SW
Tiggrr (V8 trialler)


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01   #8 (permalink)
Dougal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

rads wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:38:09 +0000, "Paul S. Brown"
> <usenet060103@geekstuff.tv> wrote:
>
>
>>hugh wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.
>>>
>>>Don't understand it. As a kid I lived in a rural village in the
>>>Pennine Dales and we very rarely missed a day at school in the Winter
>>>- and the roads were covered with packed snow.

>>
>>Ditto here across most of Scotland.
>>
>>I have a distinct feeling that the average aptitude of any given driver
>>has dropped over the last few years. What has caused this I couldn't
>>say, but I'm going to blame electrickery and the fact that a car is now
>>seen as a right rather than a privilege as it used to be.
>>
>>P.

>
>
> Is it also possible that modern cars, with wide low profiles are
> actually worse in the snow than their narrow tyred forebears?
>
> David


.... and front wheel drive which doesn't allow you to add weight over the
driving wheels.

.... and too much salt on the roads. If one can't practice on snow/ice
you'll never gain any experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:01   #9 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

In message <mhceo11sbp06655kuedn9ng8httso1pv0h@4ax.com>
rads <radsxxunspamxx@xxunspamxxdavidradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:38:09 +0000, "Paul S. Brown"
> <usenet060103@geekstuff.tv> wrote:
>
> >hugh wrote:
> >
> >>>
> >>>Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.
> >> Don't understand it. As a kid I lived in a rural village in the
> >> Pennine Dales and we very rarely missed a day at school in the Winter
> >> - and the roads were covered with packed snow.

> >
> >Ditto here across most of Scotland.
> >
> >I have a distinct feeling that the average aptitude of any given driver
> >has dropped over the last few years. What has caused this I couldn't
> >say, but I'm going to blame electrickery and the fact that a car is now
> >seen as a right rather than a privilege as it used to be.
> >
> >P.

>
> Is it also possible that modern cars, with wide low profiles are
> actually worse in the snow than their narrow tyred forebears?
>
> David


Not only possible - certain I'd say. Plus they are so highly tuned they
have no torque or engine braking, and drivers are forced to learn to drive
using the brakes and not the gearbox.

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:01   #10 (permalink)
beamendsltd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: why i wish I still had a Land Rover

In message <HQFoHBDXqyhDFAvQ@raefell.demon.co.uk>
hugh <hugh@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> In message <oe7eo1l33bqopdgg98h678lf14erf8u2j6@4ax.com>, Austin Shackles
> <austinNOSPAM@ddol-las.net> writes
> >On or around Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:28:02 +0000, MVP
> ><mr.nice@*nospam*softhome.net> enlightened us thusly:
> >
> >>tried to take the wife into work this morning...
> >>lesson 1, cornwall county council don't have a clue about how to deal
> >>with snow and ice.
> >>lesson 2, jaguars are hard work in snow and ice.
> >>it took every ounce of driving skill to get as far as I did, before
> >>deciding that I didn't fancy doing the same trip again in a few hours
> >>to pick her up again. have to admit, it'd be well within my abilities
> >>to make that trip in a land rover.
> >>cornwall is currently closed for business.

> >
> >so's this area, or rather the schools are.
> >
> >If we're really going to have a hard winter with lots of snow and ice, we
> >need a bit of a rethink about how we deal with it. I'm buggered if I'm
> >going to lose more then a few days income 'cos of an inch of snow on the
> >road. I reckon I could have done my school route this morning...
> >
> >it's just not practical for more than a couple of days to say "we can't get
> >there 'cos of the snow".
> >
> >Most countries seem to manage, don't see why we can't.

> Don't understand it. As a kid I lived in a rural village in the Pennine
> Dales and we very rarely missed a day at school in the Winter - and the
> roads were covered with packed snow.


I used to ride a motorbike 30 miles each way to my signalbox down miles
of untreated roads - no problem with brain engaged.

Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk sales@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
Running a business in a Microsoft free environment - it can be done
Powered by Risc-OS - you won't get a virus from us!!
Boycott the Yorkshire Dales - No Play, No Pay
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:52.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.