Write off Disco - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 06:01   #1 (permalink)
Bootneck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Write off Disco

Hi I had my TD5 written off recently due to the Storms of Jan, two windows
broke and it was exposed to salt water spray for 12 odd Hours. I have tried
to buy it back as I live on a Scottish island and it would come in useful
for allsorts of things. However my Insurance company have stated it is a
class A write off, now I thought that was burnt out or chassis damage. I
drove my vehicle to the ferry and had been using it for 3 months or so with
no problems. Any comments on why its a class A the engineers just says it
because of the salt water but that could be repaired

Many thanks

Bootneck

--
Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2005, 06:01   #2 (permalink)
SimonJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco

> Hi I had my TD5 written off recently due to the Storms of Jan, two windows
> broke and it was exposed to salt water spray for 12 odd Hours. I have

tried
> to buy it back as I live on a Scottish island and it would come in useful
> for allsorts of things. However my Insurance company have stated it is a
> class A write off, now I thought that was burnt out or chassis damage. I
> drove my vehicle to the ferry and had been using it for 3 months or so

with
> no problems. Any comments on why its a class A the engineers just says it
> because of the salt water but that could be repaired
>

Salt water damage is automatically a category A write off, because of unseen
affects within the wiring loom etc.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
Bootneck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco

Thanks for that,, I take it there is no way for anyone to buy a class A,,
its just I have a feeling the engineer had sold the vehicle on before I had
even been made an offer as it disappeared from the garage forecourt at 9am
on the Monday morning after I had asked to buy iy on the Friday.. or maybe I
being paranoid.

Many thanks

Bootneck


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:01   #4 (permalink)
SimonJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco


> Thanks for that,, I take it there is no way for anyone to buy a class A,,
>

Not unless you have a scrap disposal licence!

> its just I have a feeling the engineer had sold the vehicle on before I

had
> even been made an offer as it disappeared from the garage forecourt at 9am
> on the Monday morning after I had asked to buy iy on the Friday.. or maybe

I
> being paranoid.
>

Once they have decided that its a Cat A, it will get disposed of
immediately, so they don't have to continue paying storage charges at the
garage.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:01   #5 (permalink)
Lee_D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco

"SimonJ" <me@mine.net> wrote in message
news:d9mhhb$6sg$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Once they have decided that its a Cat A, it will get disposed of
> immediately, so they don't have to continue paying storage charges at the
> garage.


H'mmmm,

Exactly how much salt water is required to get it written off?

;0)

Lee D


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:01   #6 (permalink)
Derry Argue
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco

"Lee_D" <newsgroupNOSPAM@NOSPAMlrproject.com> wrote in
news:3i86eoFk3ibuU1@individual.net:

> "SimonJ" <me@mine.net> wrote in message
> news:d9mhhb$6sg$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Once they have decided that its a Cat A, it will get disposed of
>> immediately, so they don't have to continue paying storage charges at
>> the garage.

>
> H'mmmm,
>
> Exactly how much salt water is required to get it written off?
>
> ;0)
>
> Lee D
>
>
>


Rather my sentiments. If the insured hadn't agreed a settlement and hadn't
taken money, how has the insurance company suddenly acquired ownership of
the damaged vehicle? From my days in college, I seem to recall there needs
to be something called "offer, acceptance, and consideration".

What if the insured decided he would like to dispute the valuation and get
in a private assessor? How is that to be achieved when the "evidence" has
been spirited away?

Maybe this is in the small print of the insurance policy and I am just
being paranoid....

But the company involved wasn't based in Inverness by any chance, was it??

Derry
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:01   #7 (permalink)
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco


"Bootneck" <bootneck81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d9m5cp$131$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi I had my TD5 written off recently due to the Storms of Jan, two windows
> broke and it was exposed to salt water spray for 12 odd Hours. I have
> tried to buy it back as I live on a Scottish island and it would come in
> useful for allsorts of things. However my Insurance company have stated it
> is a class A write off, now I thought that was burnt out or chassis
> damage. I drove my vehicle to the ferry and had been using it for 3 months
> or so with no problems. Any comments on why its a class A the engineers
> just says it because of the salt water but that could be repaired
>


I don't know all the ins and outs of the different write-off classes, BUT
until you accept an offer from the insurer it is still legally your
property. The way forward is to inform them that you do not accept their
offer due to the minimal damage and to inform them that you are unhappy with
the Cat A assessment and insist that they re-assess it. Remind them of your
legal rights to good title of the vehicle and that the longer they delay
they are costing themselves excess storage fees. BTW, rule 1, do not allow
the vehicle out of your posession until you accept a settlement offer!
Badger.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 13:02   #8 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco

Tell that the owners of old Fergies who use them for beaching boats.

Tell that the owners of boats for that matter, for whom salt water is little
hazard.

The more I lern about insurance companies, the less I want to bother with
them,


--
T

L'autisme c'est moi

"Space folds, and folded space bends, and bent folded space contracts and
expands unevenly in every way unconcievable except to someone who does not
believe in the laws of mathematics"


"SimonJ" <me@mine.net> wrote in message
news:d9m7nc$1ge$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Salt water damage is automatically a category A write off, because of

unseen
> affects within the wiring loom etc.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 14:02   #9 (permalink)
SimonJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco

>
> Tell that the owners of boats for that matter, for whom salt water is

little
> hazard.
>

So let me try and understand this concept.........

A boat, which is designed to be immersed in salt water, will not be damaged
by salt water.
A car interior, which is designed not to get wet, will be damaged by salt
water.

Chalk=Cheese.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 23:01   #10 (permalink)
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Write off Disco

What all that vinyl ???? and what about the Fergie tractors slowly rotting
back to a natural state yet still working ?

It is about time the goverment acted on this environmentally damaging policy
of writing of vehicles as if they were used condoms.


--
Larry
Series 3 rust and holes






"SimonJ" <me@mine.net> wrote in message
news:d9n16g$i6q$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> So let me try and understand this concept.........
>
> A boat, which is designed to be immersed in salt water, will not be

damaged
> by salt water.
> A car interior, which is designed not to get wet, will be damaged by salt
> water.
>
> Chalk=Cheese.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Land Rover



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.