1996 XJ6 Radio Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2005, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
Hank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
1996 XJ6 Radio Question

I need to put in a new radio as the origional is working less then
half the time. Question is is there a wire harness adapter availaible
for Jaguar ? Or does someone have the wire color codes as to which
wire goes where off the back of the radio. I know they sell the
adapters for Ford, GM ect just cant seem to locate one for Jaguar.
1996 XJ6 model
Thanks
Hank
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-11-2005, 14:02   #2 (permalink)
Blake Dodson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.

In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange
program.

Blake

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Hank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

On 11 Dec 2005 12:49:53 -0800, "Blake Dodson" <DieInterim@gmail.com>
wrote:

>A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.
>
>In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange
>program.
>
>Blake


No I was not aware of that however I want to put my JVC in as it plays
MP3 cd's which is what I usually only listen to. Since I can no longer
use the JVC in my busted up Fiero I figure I should put it in the car
I now have to drive plus the Jag's is broken.

Do you have any more details for the exchange program ?
Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Hank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

On 11 Dec 2005 12:49:53 -0800, "Blake Dodson" <DieInterim@gmail.com>
wrote:

>A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.
>
>In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange
>program.
>
>Blake



I have looked almost all over cannot find anything on it I went to
Circuit City they do not list Jaguar and I was told my the Gentlemen
who claims to be an expert thet Jaguar's have a positive ground system
not a negative ground system so the JVC radio would not work any way.
He claims that is one of the first things they teach them where he got
his schooling. So I drove home in my Grand Marqui and opened the trunk
of my Jag and was so suprized to find the ground connected to chasis.
How could he be wrong a man of schooling in this field.

SO again any help in finding a wiring diagram of the connector on the
back of the radio would be a great help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
Jon A
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:32:24 GMT, Hank <hank@guess.net> wrote:

>On 11 Dec 2005 12:49:53 -0800, "Blake Dodson" <DieInterim@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.
>>
>>In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange
>>program.
>>
>>Blake

>
>
>I have looked almost all over cannot find anything on it I went to
>Circuit City they do not list Jaguar and I was told my the Gentlemen
>who claims to be an expert thet Jaguar's have a positive ground system
>not a negative ground system so the JVC radio would not work any way.
>He claims that is one of the first things they teach them where he got
>his schooling. So I drove home in my Grand Marqui and opened the trunk
>of my Jag and was so suprized to find the ground connected to chasis.
>How could he be wrong a man of schooling in this field.
>
>SO again any help in finding a wiring diagram of the connector on the
>back of the radio would be a great help.


Hank;
I can only guess what other fields of expertise this gent has! Anyone
care to ask his wife? Your car, as well as cats many years older
have negative grounds. Please go to a real car stereo store. One
that deals only in automobile electronics and maybe one of the most
least experienced apprentices' there can help you properly.



  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
davidb@nomorespam.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

In <nk1sp1lh69mirica0hfq76ejsaihqtj210@4ax.com>, Hank <hank@guess.net> writes:
>On 11 Dec 2005 12:49:53 -0800, "Blake Dodson" <DieInterim@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.
>>
>>In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange
>>program.
>>
>>Blake

>
>
>I have looked almost all over cannot find anything on it I went to
>Circuit City they do not list Jaguar and I was told my the Gentlemen
>who claims to be an expert thet Jaguar's have a positive ground system
>not a negative ground system so the JVC radio would not work any way.
>He claims that is one of the first things they teach them where he got
>his schooling. So I drove home in my Grand Marqui and opened the trunk
>of my Jag and was so suprized to find the ground connected to chasis.
>How could he be wrong a man of schooling in this field.
>
>SO again any help in finding a wiring diagram of the connector on the
>back of the radio would be a great help.


I sent you an zipped electrical PDF only to realize that it was the wrong year! If your mailserver can handle it I will send the one for 1996.

--
Best Regards,

David
C.M. Con******ts, Inc

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
WayneC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

Hank wrote:
> I need to put in a new radio as the origional is working less then
> half the time. Question is is there a wire harness adapter availaible
> for Jaguar ? Or does someone have the wire color codes as to which
> wire goes where off the back of the radio. I know they sell the
> adapters for Ford, GM ect just cant seem to locate one for Jaguar.
> 1996 XJ6 model
> Thanks
> Hank


Most newer radios use a common color code (see below). I found a couple
of diagrams for radios on the internet, which both showed that same
color scheme, and I used that to compare to my original 84 XJS radio. My
original Jaguar radio had a connector chart pasted on top of the radio
(see below). The original Jaguar radio did not accept the vehicle
harness directly, but had a pigtailed setup with two male connectors...
wires extended from the radio to the connectors, which plugged into two
vehicle harnesses. My goal was to have one generic connector so that I
could replace the radio with either of two radios I had acquired and
wanted to try. So I made an adapter harness for each radio... I
purchased two identical generic pairs at an electronics store... I used
the female half of one generic 2-part M/F connector and the old male
radio connectors to form a short vehicle harness extension (when
installed, the single generic female connector now combined and
terminated the radio end of both vehicle harnesses). Using the chart
from the old radio and the wiring info from the new radio, I soldered
the wires from the first "new" radio to a generic male connector. I did
the same with the second radio, so that I could plug either radio into
the now-extended vehicle harness without disturbing the original Jaguar
harness connectors. I could have just made an adapter harness to go from
one of the radios to the old radio's male harness connectors. If your
vehicle harness(es) plugs directly into the back of the radio, then
you'll likely be forced to replace the connector(s) at the end of the
vehicle harness(es).

Unfortunately my email isn't working today (my ISP is having
difficulties) or I would send you the radio diagrams. Basically the
diagrams show:

Red = fused 12v power from the battery (through ignition switch)
Black = chassis ground
Blue = power antenna
yellow = memory backup (12v battery power, not through the ign sw)
orange = dash light dimmer

White = left front speaker positive (or left, if 2-speaker system)
green/black = left left front negative (or left, if 2-speaker system)
white/black = left front speaker negative in 4-speaker system
green = left rear speaker positive in 4-speaker system

grey = right front speaker positive (or right, if 2-speaker system)
violet/black = right rear negative (or right, if 2-speaker system)
grey/black = right front speaker negative in 4-speaker system
violet = right rear speaker positive in 4-speaker system

The old 84 XJS radio wires were:

white = power antenna
yellow = 12v power ignition-switched (this may have been incorrect on
the diagram)
red = 12v constant (this may have been incorrect, I remember checking
the vehicle harness to see if yellow & red were reversed, I just cannot
recall whether they were)
blue = dash light dimmer
black = chassis ground

brown = rear right
white/brown = rear right common
red = front right
white/red = front right common

orange = front left
white/orange = front left common
green = rear left
white/green = rear left common
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
davidb@nomorespam.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

In <aArnf.29763$6e.10461@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, davidb@nomorespam.net writes:
>In <nk1sp1lh69mirica0hfq76ejsaihqtj210@4ax.com>, Hank <hank@guess.net> writes:
>>On 11 Dec 2005 12:49:53 -0800, "Blake Dodson" <DieInterim@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.
>>>
>>>In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange
>>>program.
>>>
>>>Blake

>>
>>
>>I have looked almost all over cannot find anything on it I went to
>>Circuit City they do not list Jaguar and I was told my the Gentlemen
>>who claims to be an expert thet Jaguar's have a positive ground system
>>not a negative ground system so the JVC radio would not work any way.
>>He claims that is one of the first things they teach them where he got
>>his schooling. So I drove home in my Grand Marqui and opened the trunk
>>of my Jag and was so suprized to find the ground connected to chasis.
>>How could he be wrong a man of schooling in this field.
>>
>>SO again any help in finding a wiring diagram of the connector on the
>>back of the radio would be a great help.

>
>I sent you an zipped electrical PDF only to realize that it was the wrong year! If your mailserver can handle it I will send the one for 1996.
>
>--
>Best Regards,
>
>David
>C.M. Con******ts, Inc
>

Just a follow-up to this post. Your email address bounced so I assume it is just a spam foiler. Oh well, if you want the 1996 electrical spec book in PDF format provide me with a valid address.


--
Best Regards,

David
C.M. Con******ts, Inc

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
Hank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:08:08 GMT, davidb@nomorespam.net wrote:

>In <aArnf.29763$6e.10461@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, davidb@nomorespam.net writes:
>>In <nk1sp1lh69mirica0hfq76ejsaihqtj210@4ax.com>, Hank <hank@guess.net> writes:
>>>On 11 Dec 2005 12:49:53 -0800, "Blake Dodson" <DieInterim@gmail.com>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>A large car stereo store can help with the connectors.
>>>>
>>>>In case you were not aware of it Jaguar does have a radio exchange
>>>>program.
>>>>
>>>>Blake
>>>
>>>
>>>I have looked almost all over cannot find anything on it I went to
>>>Circuit City they do not list Jaguar and I was told my the Gentlemen
>>>who claims to be an expert thet Jaguar's have a positive ground system
>>>not a negative ground system so the JVC radio would not work any way.
>>>He claims that is one of the first things they teach them where he got
>>>his schooling. So I drove home in my Grand Marqui and opened the trunk
>>>of my Jag and was so suprized to find the ground connected to chasis.
>>>How could he be wrong a man of schooling in this field.
>>>
>>>SO again any help in finding a wiring diagram of the connector on the
>>>back of the radio would be a great help.

>>
>>I sent you an zipped electrical PDF only to realize that it was the wrong year! If your mailserver can handle it I will send the one for 1996.
>>
>>--
>>Best Regards,
>>
>>David
>>C.M. Con******ts, Inc
>>

> Just a follow-up to this post. Your email address bounced so I assume it is just a spam foiler. Oh well, if you want the 1996 electrical spec book in PDF format provide me with a valid address.

hfiala@verizon.net
Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:02   #10 (permalink)
Hank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 XJ6 Radio Question

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:12:08 GMT, Hank <hank@guess.net> wrote:

>I need to put in a new radio as the origional is working less then
>half the time. Question is is there a wire harness adapter availaible
>for Jaguar ? Or does someone have the wire color codes as to which
>wire goes where off the back of the radio. I know they sell the
>adapters for Ford, GM ect just cant seem to locate one for Jaguar.
>1996 XJ6 model
>Thanks
>Hank


Still no luck getting color code of the wires here is what is on the
connector

Pink/Green Pink/Violet
Black/White Black/Gray
Gray/Pink Green/Vio
--------- ---------
Gray/Orange Gray/Red
Vio/Red ---------
Vio/Pink ---------
Vio/Orange Green/Black
Black Red/Green
---------- ----------
Blue Red/Vio
Green/Orange ----------
Brown/Green Brown/Green


Thanks for those of you that responded but it was not the solution.
Hank
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:00.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.