forsale 1979 Jaguar mint - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 03:02   #1 (permalink)
JJK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
forsale 1979 Jaguar mint

1979 Jaguar XJS Coupe 400 Chevy motor mint condition for sale details and
photo's at http://79jag.tripod.com/
This Jag has to be seen.
Thank you





  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-14-2005, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
Phil
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: forsale 1979 Jaguar mint

Chuck the boat-anchor yank motor and refit the original, then it might
be "mint" !

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:02   #3 (permalink)
flymx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: forsale 1979 Jaguar mint


"Phil" <philip_barton.geo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1121327799.333119.306310@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Chuck the boat-anchor yank motor and refit the original, then it might
> be "mint" !
>


Original mint maybe... but then you will need two jags.. one to drive while
the other one is in the garage getting fixed .


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 16:02   #4 (permalink)
webserve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: forsale 1979 Jaguar mint

> Original mint maybe... but then you will need two jags.. one to drive
while
> the other one is in the garage getting fixed .
>

Statements like this have always amazed me!!

I have been driving Jaguars since 1973 and I have found them to be as
reliable as any other car around. Currently I have 3 Jags. The XJ40 just
turned 210,000 miles on the clock with no problems and no warning lights. It
is a daily driver. Occasionally I do get a warning light but that is
because of a problem. Many of the parts on this car are interchangeable
with parts from Mercedes and BMWs of the era including the ZF Transmission
and Girling or Bosch brake parts.

The 60s saloon has well over 120,000 miles on it and after a $40 conversion
from a Lucas 3-part alternator to a GM built-in alternator/voltage
regulator, the car has been trouble free. It, too is a daily driver.
Again, the parts for this car are the same as for many of the American cars
of the era and in fact the Borg Warner Transmissions on the Jags were the
same as on MANY American cars to say nothing of the Dunlap and Lockheed
brake systems.

The Nissan has had to have 3 rubber timing belt replacements in the 250,000
miles I have owned it as well as the normal water pump and Mass air flow
meter.

The Dodge truck has nearly 100,000 miles on it and I have had to replace the
oil pump, the water pump, t-stat, serpentine belt, alternator and other
normal wear-out items. The oil pump was the worst because you have to
nearly remove the engine to get to it.

Sounds to me like you need to keep the Jag and find a better garage!!!
Better yet, learn how to do the work yourself so the repairs on the Jag are
no more costly than any other car. The parts certainly aren't any more
expensive than my Nissan or Dodge and the engineering is far superior!!

Webserve


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 16:02   #5 (permalink)
Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: forsale 1979 Jaguar mint

In article <743f3$42d69d46$45282aca$27022@ALLTEL.NET>,
"webserve" <webserve00@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Original mint maybe... but then you will need two jags.. one to drive

> while
> > the other one is in the garage getting fixed .
> >

> Statements like this have always amazed me!!
>
> I have been driving Jaguars since 1973 and I have found them to be as
> reliable as any other car around. Currently I have 3 Jags. The XJ40 just
> turned 210,000 miles on the clock with no problems and no warning lights. It
> is a daily driver. Occasionally I do get a warning light but that is
> because of a problem. Many of the parts on this car are interchangeable
> with parts from Mercedes and BMWs of the era including the ZF Transmission
> and Girling or Bosch brake parts.
>
> The 60s saloon has well over 120,000 miles on it and after a $40 conversion
> from a Lucas 3-part alternator to a GM built-in alternator/voltage
> regulator, the car has been trouble free. It, too is a daily driver.
> Again, the parts for this car are the same as for many of the American cars
> of the era and in fact the Borg Warner Transmissions on the Jags were the
> same as on MANY American cars to say nothing of the Dunlap and Lockheed
> brake systems.
>
> The Nissan has had to have 3 rubber timing belt replacements in the 250,000
> miles I have owned it as well as the normal water pump and Mass air flow
> meter.
>
> The Dodge truck has nearly 100,000 miles on it and I have had to replace the
> oil pump, the water pump, t-stat, serpentine belt, alternator and other
> normal wear-out items. The oil pump was the worst because you have to
> nearly remove the engine to get to it.
>
> Sounds to me like you need to keep the Jag and find a better garage!!!
> Better yet, learn how to do the work yourself so the repairs on the Jag are
> no more costly than any other car. The parts certainly aren't any more
> expensive than my Nissan or Dodge and the engineering is far superior!!
>
> Webserve
>
>


My '71 Jag, which I've had for 34 years, took about 30K miles to wring
the problems out of it. That was when the second fuel pump failed.
(first one failed at 400 miles) Third one, American built (yikes, not
original) is still going strong at 85K. The Lukas electrics have all
worked so far except for the clock, which is a Smith. It died the day
after the warranty expired. It hasn't worked since. The only other thing
which failed was the slave hydralic cylinder in the clutch; it failed
just as I pulled into the garage at home after work!!! Boy was that fun
to replace. I couldn't get it out, so I had to rebuild it under the car.
I think I still have hydralic fluid in my ears.

Al
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 16:02   #6 (permalink)
flymx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: forsale 1979 Jaguar mint


"webserve" <webserve00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:743f3$42d69d46$45282aca$27022@ALLTEL.NET...
>> Original mint maybe... but then you will need two jags.. one to drive

> while
>> the other one is in the garage getting fixed .
>>

> Statements like this have always amazed me!!


What amazes me is when people put there foot in their mouth so easily ..
wait for it..

>
> I have been driving Jaguars since 1973 and I have found them to be as
> reliable as any other car around.


And far more expensive.. but..
This is important.. wait a little longer ..

Currently I have 3 Jags. The XJ40 just
> turned 210,000 miles on the clock with no problems and no warning lights.


"with no problems".. this is key ..

It
> is a daily driver. Occasionally I do get a warning light but that is
> because of a problem.


**Now** there is problems...
So which one is it ...

Many of the parts on this car are interchangeable
> with parts from Mercedes and BMWs of the era including the ZF Transmission
> and Girling or Bosch brake parts.
>
> The 60s saloon has well over 120,000 miles on it and after a $40
> conversion
> from a Lucas 3-part alternator to a GM built-in alternator/voltage
> regulator, the car has been trouble free. It, too is a daily driver.


So... with all those "daily drivers" you must basicaly eat ,sleep and crap
in your car while driving ..

> Again, the parts for this car are the same as for many of the American
> cars
> of the era and in fact the Borg Warner Transmissions on the Jags were the
> same as on MANY American cars to say nothing of the Dunlap and Lockheed
> brake systems.
>
> The Nissan has had to have 3 rubber timing belt replacements in the
> 250,000
> miles I have owned it as well as the normal water pump and Mass air flow
> meter.


Maybe you should find a better garage that knows how to install the belt..
just a thought.

>
> The Dodge truck has nearly 100,000 miles on it and I have had to replace
> the
> oil pump, the water pump, t-stat, serpentine belt, alternator and other
> normal wear-out items. The oil pump was the worst because you have to
> nearly remove the engine to get to it.


Suprised the tranni did not fall out of it as well, mid 90s dodges are
known for their convertors to let go and take the tranni with them .

>
> Sounds to me like you need to keep the Jag and find a better garage!!!
> Better yet, learn how to do the work yourself so the repairs on the Jag
> are
> no more costly than any other car.


Chevy engine .. low Ks from a wreck... 1000.00 .

The parts certainly aren't any more
> expensive than my Nissan or Dodge and the engineering is far superior!!


If it was superior you would not be replacing the parts .. would you
....whats a set of pads worth for a Jag XJS 12.
Expensive Euro cars are treated better so owners do not get the expensive
Euro bill for working on them.. I know the US big three have just reach [
actually a while now ] rediculous on their per hour charge.. but what it the
per hour charge on a Jag.
Ya.. I'm just razzen you .. but ... you know..
I'm just sayin .


>
> Webserve
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 16:02   #7 (permalink)
webserve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: forsale 1979 Jaguar mint

I don't mind razzing.

> What amazes me is when people put there foot in their mouth so easily ..
> wait for it..
> > I have been driving Jaguars since 1973 and I have found them to be as
> > reliable as any other car around.

>
> And far more expensive.. but..


******Actually, I find the parts to be LESS expensive than the parts for my
Dodge.
******You just have to know where to get the parts and the dealer isn't it!!

> This is important.. wait a little longer ..
> Currently I have 3 Jags. The XJ40 just
> > turned 210,000 miles on the clock with no problems and no warning

lights.
> "with no problems".. this is key ..
> It is a daily driver. Occasionally I do get a warning light but that is
> because of a problem.
>
> **Now** there is problems...
> So which one is it ...


*******You are Right!!!
*******There WAS a problem!!
*******I have had a coupleTAIL-LIGHT bulbs burn out over the years
*******and the warning came on to tell me!!!
*******Sorry

> So... with all those "daily drivers" you must basicaly eat ,sleep and

crap
> in your car while driving ..


*******No, Actually
*******Now follow this closely -- there is MATH involved.
*******I drive the 60s Jag saloon as my Daily Driver
*******My wife Drives the Nissan as her Daily Driver
*******My 21 year old Daughter drives the Chevy as her daily Driver
*******My 19 year old Son drives the XJ40 as his daily driver at college
*******and my 17 year old daughter drives the Dodge as her daily driver.

*******4 cars, 1 truck
*******5 drivers all going different places in 5 daily drivers.

> > The Nissan has had to have 3 rubber timing belt replacements in the
> > 250,000
> > miles I have owned it as well as the normal water pump and Mass air flow
> > meter.

>
> Maybe you should find a better garage that knows how to install the belt..
> just a thought.


******Nissan recommends tha tthe timing belt be changed as regular
******maintanence every 40,000 miles. If I have actually followed the
****** recommended service, I would have changed the belt 6 times
******so far. Besides, I am the one who changes the belt, I don't have
******a garage do it. And I use ONLY Nissan parts for the timing belt.

> > The Dodge truck has nearly 100,000 miles on it and I have had to replace
> > the
> > oil pump, the water pump, t-stat, serpentine belt, alternator and other
> > normal wear-out items. The oil pump was the worst because you have to
> > nearly remove the engine to get to it.

>
> Suprised the tranni did not fall out of it as well, mid 90s dodges are
> known for their convertors to let go and take the tranni with them .
>
> >
> > Sounds to me like you need to keep the Jag and find a better garage!!!
> > Better yet, learn how to do the work yourself so the repairs on the Jag
> > are
> > no more costly than any other car.

>
> Chevy engine .. low Ks from a wreck... 1000.00 .
>
> The parts certainly aren't any more
> > expensive than my Nissan or Dodge and the engineering is far superior!!

>
> If it was superior you would not be replacing the parts .. would you


********??????? You mean you don't change Brake pads and rotors
******** and spark plugs and air filters and other consumables on the car??

> ...whats a set of pads worth for a Jag XJS 12.


*******1979 XJS V12
*******Fronts: Raybestos #PGD135 $17.85 a set
*******Rears: Raybestos #PGD9 $15.41 a set
*******The Beck/Arnleys are cheaper -- but I don't like Beck/Arnley

*******Top of the line Girling fronts are $51.57 a set
Rears are $39.58 a set

********Depends upon what you want (these are all semi-metallics)
********The equvilant Raybestos fronts for my Dodge van are $14.76
********so they are all in the same ball park

> Expensive Euro cars are treated better so owners do not get the expensive
> Euro bill for working on them.. I know the US big three have just reach [
> actually a while now ] rediculous on their per hour charge.. but what it

the
> per hour charge on a Jag.


********Last time I asked them it was $98 per hour. The independents charge
$75 per hour.
********Another reason I do all my own work!!

******** Webserve

> Ya.. I'm just razzen you .. but ... you know..
> I'm just sayin .
>
>
> >
> >> >

> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 16:02   #8 (permalink)
JJK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: forsale 1979 Jaguar mint

I guess mint was a bad word, that would infer original. All though the car
is not original it is one beautiful car.
www.79jag.tripod.com

"webserve" <webserve00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:5e36d$42d6d59a$45282aca$8889@ALLTEL.NET...
>I don't mind razzing.
>
>> What amazes me is when people put there foot in their mouth so easily ..
>> wait for it..
>> > I have been driving Jaguars since 1973 and I have found them to be as
>> > reliable as any other car around.

>>
>> And far more expensive.. but..

>
> ******Actually, I find the parts to be LESS expensive than the parts for
> my
> Dodge.
> ******You just have to know where to get the parts and the dealer isn't
> it!!
>
>> This is important.. wait a little longer ..
>> Currently I have 3 Jags. The XJ40 just
>> > turned 210,000 miles on the clock with no problems and no warning

> lights.
>> "with no problems".. this is key ..
>> It is a daily driver. Occasionally I do get a warning light but that
>> is
>> because of a problem.
>>
>> **Now** there is problems...
>> So which one is it ...

>
> *******You are Right!!!
> *******There WAS a problem!!
> *******I have had a coupleTAIL-LIGHT bulbs burn out over the years
> *******and the warning came on to tell me!!!
> *******Sorry
>
>> So... with all those "daily drivers" you must basicaly eat ,sleep and

> crap
>> in your car while driving ..

>
> *******No, Actually
> *******Now follow this closely -- there is MATH involved.
> *******I drive the 60s Jag saloon as my Daily Driver
> *******My wife Drives the Nissan as her Daily Driver
> *******My 21 year old Daughter drives the Chevy as her daily Driver
> *******My 19 year old Son drives the XJ40 as his daily driver at college
> *******and my 17 year old daughter drives the Dodge as her daily driver.
>
> *******4 cars, 1 truck
> *******5 drivers all going different places in 5 daily drivers.
>
>> > The Nissan has had to have 3 rubber timing belt replacements in the
>> > 250,000
>> > miles I have owned it as well as the normal water pump and Mass air
>> > flow
>> > meter.

>>
>> Maybe you should find a better garage that knows how to install the
>> belt..
>> just a thought.

>
> ******Nissan recommends tha tthe timing belt be changed as regular
> ******maintanence every 40,000 miles. If I have actually followed the
> ****** recommended service, I would have changed the belt 6 times
> ******so far. Besides, I am the one who changes the belt, I don't have
> ******a garage do it. And I use ONLY Nissan parts for the timing belt.
>
>> > The Dodge truck has nearly 100,000 miles on it and I have had to
>> > replace
>> > the
>> > oil pump, the water pump, t-stat, serpentine belt, alternator and other
>> > normal wear-out items. The oil pump was the worst because you have to
>> > nearly remove the engine to get to it.

>>
>> Suprised the tranni did not fall out of it as well, mid 90s dodges are
>> known for their convertors to let go and take the tranni with them .
>>
>> >
>> > Sounds to me like you need to keep the Jag and find a better garage!!!
>> > Better yet, learn how to do the work yourself so the repairs on the Jag
>> > are
>> > no more costly than any other car.

>>
>> Chevy engine .. low Ks from a wreck... 1000.00 .
>>
>> The parts certainly aren't any more
>> > expensive than my Nissan or Dodge and the engineering is far superior!!

>>
>> If it was superior you would not be replacing the parts .. would you

>
> ********??????? You mean you don't change Brake pads and rotors
> ******** and spark plugs and air filters and other consumables on the
> car??
>
>> ...whats a set of pads worth for a Jag XJS 12.

>
> *******1979 XJS V12
> *******Fronts: Raybestos #PGD135 $17.85 a set
> *******Rears: Raybestos #PGD9 $15.41 a set
> *******The Beck/Arnleys are cheaper -- but I don't like Beck/Arnley
>
> *******Top of the line Girling fronts are $51.57 a set
> Rears are $39.58 a set
>
> ********Depends upon what you want (these are all semi-metallics)
> ********The equvilant Raybestos fronts for my Dodge van are $14.76
> ********so they are all in the same ball park
>
>> Expensive Euro cars are treated better so owners do not get the expensive
>> Euro bill for working on them.. I know the US big three have just reach [
>> actually a while now ] rediculous on their per hour charge.. but what it

> the
>> per hour charge on a Jag.

>
> ********Last time I asked them it was $98 per hour. The independents
> charge
> $75 per hour.
> ********Another reason I do all my own work!!
>
> ******** Webserve
>
>> Ya.. I'm just razzen you .. but ... you know..
>> I'm just sayin .
>>
>>
>> >
>> >> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.