x type jag - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
nooz@mail.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
x type jag

Hi wonder if any one can help please,my father has bought an X type
desiel, but the oil light keeps coming on, oil level is fine, can
anyone give any indicatiors as to what could be causing this
please.

TIA
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-19-2005, 15:03   #2 (permalink)
C.R. Krieger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: x type jag


nooz@mail.net wrote:
> Hi wonder if any one can help please,my father has bought an X type
> desiel, but the oil light keeps coming on, oil level is fine, can
> anyone give any indicatiors as to what could be causing this
> please.


Failed sensor switch.
--
C.R. Krieger
(BT, DT)

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Rob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: x type jag

C.R. Krieger wrote:
> nooz@mail.net wrote:
>
>>Hi wonder if any one can help please,my father has bought an X type
>>desiel, but the oil light keeps coming on, oil level is fine, can
>>anyone give any indicatiors as to what could be causing this
>>please.

>
>
> Failed sensor switch.
> --
> C.R. Krieger
> (BT, DT)
>


And its most likely showing signs of oil leaking from it, which also
confirms its stuffed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 19:02   #4 (permalink)
Happy Trails
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: x type jag

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:47:10 GMT, nooz@mail.net wrote:

>Hi wonder if any one can help please,my father has bought an X type
>desiel, but the oil light keeps coming on, oil level is fine, can
>anyone give any indicatiors as to what could be causing this
>please.



The oil light's only function is to let you know when it senses a low
oil pressure condition. I love the way the keyboard/armchair
mechanics immediate reaction is to state that the sensor has failed.

While this is indeed a possibility, the most important thing is to
verify that there is adequate oil pressure to lubricate the engine,
otherwise a routine rebuild will be a major replacement of components,
possibly starting with the block and crankshaft, should a main bearing
or connecting rod bearing "fail in flight".

If there is truly a low oil pressure condition, it could indicate
that it is time to replace the crankshaft bearings, or merely that the
PO for some strange reason did not have the correct weight or type of
lubricant in the engine, and possibly the sensitivity of the switch is
marginal.

Have your father check this asap without driving the car very far or
very fast.


Happy Trails To You
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:01   #5 (permalink)
C.R. Krieger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: x type jag


Happy Trails wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:47:10 GMT, nooz@mail.net wrote:
>
> >Hi wonder if any one can help please,my father has bought an X type
> >desiel, but the oil light keeps coming on, oil level is fine, can
> >anyone give any indicatiors as to what could be causing this
> >please.

>
> The oil light's only function is to let you know when it senses a low
> oil pressure condition. I love the way the keyboard/armchair
> mechanics immediate reaction is to state that the sensor has failed.


This 'armchair mechanic' has changed several oil pressure sensor
switches in various vehicles. Since the OP mentioned that the level is
fine, I go to the next logical *and cheapest* (I found it for <$7.)
thing to check - whether it's a spurious reading because of a failed
pressure sensor.

> While this is indeed a possibility, the most important thing is to
> verify that there is adequate oil pressure to lubricate the engine,
> otherwise a routine rebuild will be a major replacement of components,
> possibly starting with the block and crankshaft, should a main bearing
> or connecting rod bearing "fail in flight".
>
> If there is truly a low oil pressure condition, it could indicate
> that it is time to replace the crankshaft bearings, or merely that the
> PO for some strange reason did not have the correct weight or type of
> lubricant in the engine, and possibly the sensitivity of the switch is
> marginal.
>
> Have your father check this asap without driving the car very far or
> very fast.


Sure. Spend about three times what it costs to *replace* the sensor
switch to find out if there's pressure there. OTOH, if it is the *more
likely* cause of a failed sensor, you will *still* have a failed sensor
switch giving a false alarm after you have verified the oil pressure.
I don't know about you, but *before* I go chasing around the innards of
my engine to see if my oil pump is good, I try the simple and *cheap*
expedient of making sure the sensor is good.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; fixed that)

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 19:01   #6 (permalink)
Happy Trails
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: x type jag

On 26 Oct 2005 10:23:52 -0700, "C.R. Krieger" <88.535is@gmail.com>
wrote:

Goodie for you - you've luckily not yet roached an engine farting
around treating the symptoms and not the problem. I suppose you'd also
recommend revving the shit out of it just to see if the sensor is
stuck, huh?

I've never found that it cost a fortune to verify the oil pressure.
Is this difficult in your country? I like to do things logically not
necessarily going by your cheapest first philosophy.

Why do you type with all those asterisks - I never learned that kind
of punctuation in school. Is that supposed to make you look like a
smarter mechanic, or something?


Happy Trails To You
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
C.R. Krieger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: x type jag

Happy Trails wrote:
> On 26 Oct 2005 10:23:52 -0700, "C.R. Krieger" <88.535is@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Goodie for you - you've luckily not yet roached an engine farting
> around treating the symptoms and not the problem.


It has nothing to do with luck. It does have to do with experience.
Even the best manufacturers (Audi, BMW, Toyota, etc.) all seem to use
the same cheap crappy oil sending switches. It takes all of 10 minutes
and under $7 to screw a new one in and start the engine. If the light
stays on, proceed to Step Two (Your plan).

> I suppose you'd also
> recommend revving the shit out of it just to see if the sensor is
> stuck, huh?


I've never puffed an engine, in high speed driving events, in
competition, or on the street. The switches don't stick. They usually
leak (one diagnostic test is to look at them). Revving only makes it
worse as well as risking the engine. Don't make me out to be as dumb
as you are arrogant and condescending.

> I've never found that it cost a fortune to verify the oil pressure.


More than 3.50?

> Is this difficult in your country? I like to do things logically not
> necessarily going by your cheapest first philosophy.


Your logic will cost you a lot more to diagnose a failed switch than it
does to simply change it. If you change out a good one, you've done
two things: 'wasted' $7 and gotten yourself a 'spare'. When the
solution is so simple and so much cheaper than even the diagnostic
tests, I doubt you'd find anyone, aside from yourself (You work for a
Jaguar dealership, perchance?), who thinks it's not a good place to
start.

> Why do you type with all those asterisks - I never learned that kind
> of punctuation in school. Is that supposed to make you look like a
> smarter mechanic, or something?


You must be new here. It's a common usenet usage for emphasis (Some
use _underscores_; even fewer use >carats<.). Would you rather I
SHOUTED? FWIW, I'm probably the best mechanic who practices bankruptcy
law that you know.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.