XJS Brake Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 05:01   #1 (permalink)
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
XJS Brake Problem

I have a 1984 XJS V12, after approx. 30 miles the brakes lose nearly all
pressure with the pedal travel almost to the floor! They do still stop the
vehicle but it's a bit scary!

It' not an intermittent problem, any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2005, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Blake Dodson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: XJS Brake Problem

Rebuild your master cylinder or.. somehow air has been introduced into
the brake system. Recent work?

Stop driving until it is resolved.

BD

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: XJS Brake Problem

Hi Blake,

Many Thanks,

Is it likely that it is the Master Cylinder? I don't know.

There's no recent work been done and it has just flown through it's MOT test
with flying colours. I was thinking along the lines of the brakes probably
binding, overheating and the fluid losing viscosity? although it doesn't
appear to be that when spinning the wheels off ground.

It is consistent, 30-35 miles, if there were air in the system surely this
would be a permenant problem. Again, I don't know.

The car is in A1 condition throughout having covered only 48k miles from
new, I know this means nothing re the problem but it has always been Main
Dealer serviced bang on time, every time and they are at a loss as to what
the cause is.

Cheers,

Mark.

"Blake Dodson" <dieinterim@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1125328006.790799.131810@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Rebuild your master cylinder or.. somehow air has been introduced into
> the brake system. Recent work?
>
> Stop driving until it is resolved.
>
> BD
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Chris Halpin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: XJS Brake Problem

I had a similar problem and it turned out that the Master Cylinder was
corroded.
Replace it as soon as possible.
Cheers
Chris

Mark wrote:
> Hi Blake,
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Is it likely that it is the Master Cylinder? I don't know.
>
> There's no recent work been done and it has just flown through it's MOT test
> with flying colours. I was thinking along the lines of the brakes probably
> binding, overheating and the fluid losing viscosity? although it doesn't
> appear to be that when spinning the wheels off ground.
>
> It is consistent, 30-35 miles, if there were air in the system surely this
> would be a permenant problem. Again, I don't know.
>
> The car is in A1 condition throughout having covered only 48k miles from
> new, I know this means nothing re the problem but it has always been Main
> Dealer serviced bang on time, every time and they are at a loss as to what
> the cause is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark.
>
> "Blake Dodson" <dieinterim@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:1125328006.790799.131810@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Rebuild your master cylinder or.. somehow air has been introduced into
>>the brake system. Recent work?
>>
>>Stop driving until it is resolved.
>>
>>BD
>>

>
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
tes@test.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: XJS Brake Problem

could be a crappy flex line expanding after braking a few times.

Chris Halpin wrote:
> I had a similar problem and it turned out that the Master Cylinder was
> corroded.
> Replace it as soon as possible.
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> Mark wrote:
>
>> Hi Blake,
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>>
>> Is it likely that it is the Master Cylinder? I don't know.
>>
>> There's no recent work been done and it has just flown through it's
>> MOT test with flying colours. I was thinking along the lines of the
>> brakes probably binding, overheating and the fluid losing viscosity?
>> although it doesn't appear to be that when spinning the wheels off
>> ground.
>>
>> It is consistent, 30-35 miles, if there were air in the system surely
>> this would be a permenant problem. Again, I don't know.
>>
>> The car is in A1 condition throughout having covered only 48k miles
>> from new, I know this means nothing re the problem but it has always
>> been Main Dealer serviced bang on time, every time and they are at a
>> loss as to what the cause is.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark.
>>
>> "Blake Dodson" <dieinterim@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:1125328006.790799.131810@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>> Rebuild your master cylinder or.. somehow air has been introduced into
>>> the brake system. Recent work?
>>>
>>> Stop driving until it is resolved.
>>>
>>> BD
>>>

>>
>>
>>

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
T.G. Lambach
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: XJS Brake Problem

Suggest you consider the possibility of an exhaust pipe too close to, or
leaking upon, a brake line and so causing the brake fluid to boil -
after driving thirty miles or so. Alternatively, a stuck caliber could
cause the brake on one wheel to drag and so boil the brake fluid after
some distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: XJS Brake Problem

The Problem was the rear calipers sticking and boiling the fluid!
This has now been resovled after having them overhauld by a local dealer and
alls well!

Many Thanks to everyone

Mark


"T.G. Lambach" <tlambach@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:RZydnd100fKnJYbeRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> Suggest you consider the possibility of an exhaust pipe too close to, or
> leaking upon, a brake line and so causing the brake fluid to boil - after
> driving thirty miles or so. Alternatively, a stuck caliber could cause the
> brake on one wheel to drag and so boil the brake fluid after some
> distance.



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
Andy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: XJS Brake Problem

And your main dealer did not pick this up at a service? And it sailed
through an MOT? - the rolling road brake tests are designed to catch just
this.

Actually thinking about it, it comes as little surprise that your main
dealer failed to notice. We probably all have our horrendous stories we
could tell about a Jaguar Main Agent and certainly my experience of them
(1995 x300 and 1987 XJ40) is evidence of their technicians not being the
brightest on the block.

Andy

"Mark" <rcn@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:RG0Ve.10492$Y06.167@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
> The Problem was the rear calipers sticking and boiling the fluid!
> This has now been resovled after having them overhauld by a local dealer
> and alls well!
>
> Many Thanks to everyone
>
> Mark
>
>
> "T.G. Lambach" <tlambach@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:RZydnd100fKnJYbeRVn-jg@comcast.com...
>> Suggest you consider the possibility of an exhaust pipe too close to, or
>> leaking upon, a brake line and so causing the brake fluid to boil - after
>> driving thirty miles or so. Alternatively, a stuck caliber could cause
>> the brake on one wheel to drag and so boil the brake fluid after some
>> distance.

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Jaguar



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.