56 312 tbird gearbox problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Y-block and Flathead Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 01:29   #1 (permalink)

56 312 tbird gearbox problem

hi guys i have a 56 tbird with a 3 speed manual plus over drive,,it was working ok then all of a sudden i heard a few stange noises a it dissengauged it self and no longer works, does any one know about these boxes ,i should also mention i live in melbourne australia ...............cheers glenn
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 11:31   #2 (permalink)
ynot-yblock

Re: 56 312 tbird gearbox problem

Muggle
those trannies are usually hard to break, but the overdrive units have other issues. It sounds as if the transmission has lost some shift forks, but the overdrive can make life miserabel. as well. Can you tell which component is giving you grief?
Old 09-16-2006, 13:30   #3 (permalink)

Step one: Accurately define the problem
With car in the air or drive shaft removed, depress clutch and rotate output yoke. Is noise and feel in each gear? Reverse?

Tom Compton
Austin, Texas

'56 Victoria, 325 CID Y Block, T5 Overdrive giving the ricers and bow ties fits!

Sooiiee Pig! Go Hogs!
TCompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01   #4 (permalink)

from what you describe, i would bet money that the o.d. was ran with no oil in it. This will cause the planetary and sun gears to weld themselves together. The end result is a nasty noise and a loss of overdrive and reverse
gear.

Remove the fill plug or governor on the o.d. and use a tie wrap or somethig similar to check oil level.

I have seen this happen many times. you have to check/add gear oil quite often to be safe.

Good luck, hope this info is helpful.
mrterry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Y-block and Flathead Tech