Like to get some ideas on a Y Block stroker - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Y-block and Flathead Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 23:01   #1 (permalink)

Like to get some ideas on a Y Block stroker

I've heard it is a 292 block and a 312 crank I would like to build one for my 56 bird working on getting all the parts together allmost ready to do it. What would be the best combination to the build best motor
sirrahnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 02:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Like to get some ideas on a Y Block stroker

Well, if you grind the 312 mains down to 292 size so it will fit, and then bore out the cylinders to 3.8" (std 312 size), you will have a 312! This may be a cost effective way to build a 312 as 312 blocks are getting scarce, I hear. There are stroker kits to get around 340 cubes, I believe. Check around on the web for "Y-block performance", etc.
67Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 16:12   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your post and yes they say the 312 block was ground down for the bigger crank and it would be better to grind the crank instead of the block. Would like a dependable but fast car. I have the original motor for the car want to keep as stock as I can. By building a stroker I can put the whole old engine in a box and save it forever. I just wanted to get feedback on if it's a good idea or not, will it be dependable or leave it alone.

Like I said, I bought another motor so I could pack the old one up... but could build the other one another way. I like the idea of a stroker but not much local info on Y-Blocks.
sirrahnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 17:36   #4 (permalink)

Try doing a web search for "Y-block stroker kit". You'll find complete kits and information on what to do to come up with your own.
67Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Y-block and Flathead Tech