What do you know about Hydrogen on demand ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Y-block and Flathead Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42   #1 (permalink)

What do you know about Hydrogen on demand ?

I have it in my 56 bird have over 8k miles on it. I've been working with it for six years now and notice increase in mpg and lots of power out of it. I would like to hear what others have to say about it.
sirrahnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 14:08   #2 (permalink)

Harley's

Also have it on two Harley's and really had a power gain. One used about 3/4 of a gallon less fuel in 100 miles over have 10k miles on bike now.
Old 10-07-2011, 00:59   #3 (permalink)

Re: What do you know about Hydrogen on demand ?

Hi, I have heard comments both ways; that it works or that it's a scam. Do you have actual numbers as to how much your mileage and power increased? What is the output of your units? How many amps do they draw? Have you rejetted your carbs or reset the timing? Are these vehicles stock or modified? I've read that running HHO causes the exhaust system to rust out faster. What is your experience after six years? What do you use for electrolyte? Inquiring minds want to know!
Thanks, Allan
67Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 13:32   #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem trying to figure it out. I have a Toyota motorhome with a 22R motor... they are everywhere so I used it for my test engine. Most people on the internet are just making the gas but have not put it in use. This is HHO drycell that is used as a supplement to gas or diesel fuel on internal combustion engines.

I have my HHO unit on a 1985 Toyota motorhome, two Harleys, four diesels (including a tractor-trailer), a 2007 Gulf Stream motorhome with a Ford V10, 2000 Dodge Neon, and also did a friend's 2002 Dodge truck... almost forgot my 1956 T-Bird. I'm not afraid to put it on anything. Every vehicle has a different reaction, the Toyota was going up a long grade 40-45 mph at 13 mpg. It could not pass anything... it would see the hill and slow down. It gave me enough power to shift up into fourth gear and take it to 65 mph and it gets 16 mpg. Thats more than a 20% increase in mileage, and LOTS more power. The Neon was 28-30 mpg... now 41 mpg. That's more than a 40% increase in mileage, but didn't gain any notable power. The Toyota I had to adjust carb fuel/air mix and I bumped the timing up (was able to put it at 3 degrees btdc and it never ran better... had to put it back to 6 degrees for smog).

All vehicles have been stock factory except one of the Harleys was bored and stroked to 95 c.i. and was a hard starter and lots of vibration. After the addition of HHO it started with a touch of the button and is much smoother running. Don't have good mileage numbers but lots of power and definitely increased mpg. Close as I can say, about 3/4 of a gallon less in 100 miles. Going through canyon roads used to constantly downshift and now can just leave it in 5th gear and roll the throttle on. Have the Harleys pulling 5 amps...they can't draw much. Very happy with power increase.

On a 30,000 lb. deisel box van it was hauling a lot of equipment and could only go 15mph over the pass. The other vehicles in the caravan would get home and eat dinner before that poor guy pulled up. Now, they call ahead and tell him to slow down cause they can't keep up...LOL. He was gonna retire that truck and let me put HHO on it just to experiment. Now it runs great and has no smoking issue anymore.

My units are producing up to 4 liters/minute at 20 amps. I use sodium hydroxide as an electrolyte...approximately 1/480 in distilled water. This ratio can be adjusted to whatever amperage you want to pull...more amps=more production.

Don't know much about the exhaust, but I haven't had an issue with the motor home at 25,000 miles of HHO usage. Still need more miles on vehicles to see long term effects. Tailpipes are clean with a bit of surface rust, but no real issue. Can have worse than that from normal condensation. I did pull the heads off the Harley after about 800 miles and saw that it was starting to scrub the head clean. It seems to get progressively better performance when adding the HHO up to about 5000 miles, then levels out. I think having more complete combustion in the cylinder keeps from accumulating buildup and will lessen valve issues as well as lengthen spark plug life. I know the exhaust temperatures are lower on the turbo deisel and engine running temp is down too. Exhaust emissions are also lower, and I have found a couple of smog guys who won't fail me on the visual with the unit in place...otherwise I have to disconnect the unit to have it smogged.

I guess I could go on and on...been doing it for a few years and just curious about other experiences. I just want to spread what I have found, and share with others.
Old 10-08-2011, 22:14   #5 (permalink)

Interesting information. I have not had personal exxperience with HHO but have read a lot. I have a question, though, on diesels: Since a Diesel does not have a throttle like a gas engine, the intake system runs 'wide open' all the time. Engine speed is only controlled by the amount of fuel injected. The more you push the throttle open, the more fuel is injected and the engine speeds up.. To stop the engine, all fuel is cut off and the engine quits. But as I see it, HHO is being added separately, not controlled by the throttle. So with HHO still flowing at idle, does the engine idle too fast because it is running on the HHO? If you were to shut off the ign. switch but kep the HHO generator going, would the engine continue to run on just the HHO? It seems to me that it would either idle too fast or not stop when you wanted it to, which could be a safety concern..
Allan
Old 10-09-2011, 16:39   #6 (permalink)

No raise in idle speed, smoother idle and never started better. Always hook to switched power for safety.. don't want to ever leave HHO unit running by mistake... lol. So the HHO unit will only be producing while engine is running. The diesel will often have fuel injection computer controlled,and will adjust automatically. If it doesn't you will have to lean out injection pump manually. Otherwise all you will see is increase in power and no substantial mileage gain.

On the Harley I forgot to turn my fuel petcock on a couple of times and it would start and off I went. When I ran out of fuel in the carb it would idle on HHO, but as soon as I wanted to go it would quit as the HHO provided is not enough for the engine to "run" on, just enough to idle. I haven't seen this occur in other vehicles though.

I also have a spark arrestor inline to prevent any backfire through intake from traveling back to the HHO unit. I use an ampere meter and on/off switch on the dash of every vehicle. You can monitor the unit by observing amp draw and if there is ever any issue or question, just shut of power to the HHO unit. I also use a 30 amp fuse and 40 amp relay to connect power to HHO unit as another precaution. Safety is always an issue that I attempt to address in multiple directions. Can't be too safe, right? I have heard nasty stories of people blowing up blocks with this stuff, and I have what I believe is a foolproof system to prevent any HHO buildup in the block during non-running conditions. As long as the key is not left in the "On" position with engine stopped. I have used power from fuel pump that is also not allowed to supply power unless vehicle is running, but that is not always available.

I think that this is a great idea...and have been very happy with results for awhile now. I am happy to answer any questions...if I can :)
Old 10-16-2011, 15:39   #7 (permalink)

Has anybody out there tried it and can input on Hydrogen on demand. Can't believe all would rather pay $4.00 plus for a gallon of gas instead of looking in to the facts on Hydrogen. Nothing compares to the power for something so simple. One gallon of water can make 1800 gallons of Hydrogen gas instead of one gallon of gasoline gives you one gallon of gasoline. Then there's all the raw fuel that goes out the exhaust pipe that the catalytic converter burns so it won't go out the tailpipe. What's wrong with burning it completely in the cylinder and gaining that power and mpg?

Tell me what you think??
Old 10-16-2011, 23:38   #8 (permalink)

Hi again, Ive been looking at some numbers regarding HHO: A one gallon container of hydrogen at room temperature and pressure would have about 42 BTU's of energy but HHO is one third oxygen so we're left with about 28 BTU's. A one gallon container of liquid gasoline has about 120,000 BTU's (some more, some less). A liter and a quart are somewhat close in volume so your unit producing almost 4 liters/min would translate to approximately one gallon.. Let's assume we have a car getting 30 MPG traveling at 60 MPH, which means it is using 2 gallons an hour, or 240,000 BTU's of energy. This works out to 4,000 BTU's a minute. Meanwhile the HHO generator has made about 28 BTU's of energy to add to the 4,000 from gasoline. I don't see how this little bit of added energy can make a noticeable differnece in fuel mileage or power. When you add in the energy needed to run the alternator to produce the electrical current neded for the electrolysis plus the energy lost as heat during the process,it seems like a net loss would result.
Old 10-27-2011, 18:57   #9 (permalink)

Just put a Hydrogen unit on a 2006 VOLVO tracktor trailer. Have to wait for a report, looked great !!!
Old 11-12-2011, 00:02   #10 (permalink)

Any specific results on the Volvo truck yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Y-block and Flathead Tech