351 Windsor on LPG? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 03:49   #1 (permalink)

351 Windsor on LPG?

G'day guys
I've been wanting to put LPG on my F150, but have now been put off cos one company says that EFi engines don't run well on gas. I know I can have it converted to a carby system, but I would rather not if I can help it. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks
Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2006, 16:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: 351 Windsor on LPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie
G'day guys
I've been wanting to put LPG on my F150, but have now been put off cos one company says that EFi engines don't run well on gas. I know I can have it converted to a carby system, but I would rather not if I can help it. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks
I dont agree , dependant on the conversion the motor will run well if the installer knows what they are doing , there are now gas injection systems availible although I have not yet used one , the great thing about lpg is if you decide to run boost its a great fuel , I normally run dedicated lpg and suggest you consider doing the same as you can make some small mods to the motor and reap the benifit , good luck and enjoy .
The only down side is 10% more fuel consumption for a large saving after around 20klm (when the system is paid for)

atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:34   #3 (permalink)

Then again,
you can do it absolutley properly, and go even further than Atec suggests. LPG has a higher octane rating than Petrol, and a correctly built engine can provide the same power on similar fuel consumption. I have seen engines here in Oz with over 500 hp, that burnt only 2% more fuel than a similar engine on avgas.

As atec says, it comes down to the knowledge of your installer...and yes dedicated LPG is the only way to go for full benefit.

With the right equipment, you will only reap the benfit of fuel savings.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31   #4 (permalink)

Smile Re: 351 Windsor on LPG?

Thanks guys!
I guess there is so much business for gas installers these days that they can pick and choose what jobs they want.
Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:07   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie
Thanks guys!
I guess there is so much business for gas installers these days that they can pick and choose what jobs they want.
The problem you will have is finding a competent one, just like finding a decent mechanic ( and why I do most of my own)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech