Anyone installed LPG - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 17:33   #1 (permalink)

Anyone installed LPG

Gday,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted LPG to an E series I6, particuarly an EF?
I know off 2 ppl who have installed it themselves but never got the chance to ask them about it, so i assume its legal to fit yourself, just wondering if its a huge job etc?
EF_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 19:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: Anyone installed LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Ghia
Gday,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted LPG to an E series I6, particuarly an EF?
I know off 2 ppl who have installed it themselves but never got the chance to ask them about it, so i assume its legal to fit yourself, just wondering if its a huge job etc?
well worth it , the money will be recovered under 20k and with a little work you wont have any powerloss
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 19:49   #3 (permalink)

yea cheers, been quoted a thousand bux for the parts, minus the tank, but 3500 to fit it, from Gas Research... very pricey fitting, i just need to find out somehow if it possible to fit it myself, im fairly good with mechanics but dont know what i need to know for the job.
Old 07-03-2006, 00:52   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
yea cheers, been quoted a thousand bux for the parts, minus the tank, but 3500 to fit it, from Gas Research... very pricey fitting, i just need to find out somehow if it possible to fit it myself, im fairly good with mechanics but dont know what i need to know for the job.
well I wouldnt bother with that price ,, are you anywhere near Newcastle ?
a new install complete wont run much over 2k.. anything more is a rip off..
I have three fords on gas and did part installs myself and had the conection completed , but then I do know the guy :)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15   #5 (permalink)

Hey yea im actually in Morisset, but i work in newcastle.

Where abouts are you? Yea i wouldn't mind being able to instal it myself, if i could ask anyone if its possible i think it'd be you! Cheers mate.

What brand are your gas systems? did you lose much power at all, cheers.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:28   #6 (permalink)

I dunno about other states, but in WA I don't think it is actually legal to install the gas yourself... you need a ticket, correct me if i'm wrong guys.

But there is kind of a loophole, where the gas guys will turn a blind eye if you rock up with your gas system all fitted but leave the actual gas line disconnected. I think it is about 50 bucks or so and they will go over the setup and make sure it's all good, connect up the lines and give you some shiny new compliance plates.

I'm fitting an impco setup to my cortina, apparently impco doesn't have as much go as the gas research equivilant but it's cheaper.

If you tune your car to run on gas you can get as good power as you would on petrol, but it uses a tad more. Lpg has different spark requirements, likes different intake and exhaust durations as well I think. Lol I'm not a pro at all this engine stuff, but I'm giving it a shot hehe

Hope that helps
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 16:24   #7 (permalink)

Cheers Benno, that does help me alot.

Would you be able to give me a bit of an idea whats involved in fitting the gas setup? Bolt in a tank, run lines to the engine bay, instal carb, plug in wires etc? is this the kind of thing involved and how much more complicated does it get. Also with the tank if its installed in the boot do i open the boot to fill it up each time? Cheers
Old 07-03-2006, 16:30   #8 (permalink)

Kit includes the following :
Carburettor (Throttle Body), Convertor, High Flow Lock-off, Adapter, Electric Primer, Bracketry, Closed Loop Processor System and Idle Speed Control System where applicable.

This is what the GasResearch kit includes, do you know Benno whether this is everything necessary (besides tank) also i assume i buy the lines with the tank?
Old 07-03-2006, 20:37   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Also with the tank if its installed in the boot do i open the boot to fill it up each time? Cheers
Pretty sure you have to have an external filler.
81XD351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 16:50   #10 (permalink)

Anyone attempted to instal LPG themself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech