Ford Forums banner

AUII XR8 ute LPG conversion

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  XR9UTE 
#1 ·
Hi,

After filling up the tank the other day and admiring the LPG price I was wondering if this would be a good thing to do or would it suck.

Would I lose much/any power?
Do you use a similar amount of gas as you would petrol?
Anyone done this to their XR8?

What are thepositives and negatives of the conversion?

Thanks

#2 ·
I have an XG XR6 ute converted to an Impco system about 20K ago, and I have lost some power but this is in both Petrol and Gas, and is porbably due to the air flow restriction from the Impco gas carby sitting in front of the Throttle Body.
But during the daily drive to work the car still performs more than adequatley, being about to overtake pretty quickly and can still hit the speed limiter pretty quick when overtaking downhill.
There is a lot of choices to make though, Parnell system or Impco (most taxis seem to like the Impco system), where to mount the tank (underbody of in the tray), etc.
GasResearch australia do make performance systems, but I dont know how they're priced in relation to the standard systems, but they may be worth a look.
Good Luck

#3 ·
Cost is around $2000 for a conversion. You would have to plan to keep your vehicle for quite a while to make your money back on this. I don't think it adds any resale value to the vehicle. Best to go straight gas if you are going to convert, dual fuel is a compromise and you will lose more performance/mileage.
I had LPG (dual fuel ex taxi) on my Xf and it used to use around $25 worth of fuel a week (approx 350km). Car was a slug, motor was worn (over 300,000km) but I fitted a new motor and things didn't improve dramaticaly in the performance stakes.

G
#5 ·
I have dual fuel on my EECIV 351C ute.
Ive designed my own mixer which does not restrict like commonly available types so, I only lose 7-9hp.
I get 7.5k/L on petrol and 6.75k/L on gas. I get around 420k range around town on gas and about 360k on petrol.

This mild cleveland made around 307 RWHP on std. unleaded when it was in good shape but now has a knackered valve train/camshaft(thanks to a dodgy head shop).
It makes only 255 RWHP petrol/248 RWHP gas now.

About the only thing I don't like about gas is the increased engine bay clutter and the weight of the gas tank and how long it takes to fill up.

BTW I'm setting up to make these mixers if you are interested.
They are made from 6061-T6 alloy and will fit inline between your MAF and throttlebody.

Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.