Crank trigger on a Clevo & LPG injection? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2003, 18:15   #1 (permalink)

Crank trigger on a Clevo & LPG injection?

What's the best way to rig up a crank trigger on a clevo? Most EFI systems don't seem to offer crank wheels that fit clevo's. I can kind of understand that given the lack of EFI systems on Clevo's.

Pete would probably know this one.

Do the windsor ones fit? Are there any made for clevo's?

I'm looking at putting a programmable, multicoil, distributorless, CDI ignition on my clevo cause it's going to be running straight gas. No point going for the EFI computer when a 3D ignition curve will do for a gas carby. :s6:

The various LPG injection people don't seem to have it sorted out yet and I've been hoping that they'd have a good product in production for over a year now.

Anyone heard any news about LPG injection systems in Australia?

Liquiphase have gone quiet. I got an email from them saying that they hoped to have a product on the market in 6 months but they told me the same thing over a year ago. Investment funding seems to be their hurdle for now.

Thanks,

Chris.

There are two types of fools.
The first, who thinks that because it is old, it is good
And the second, who thinks that because it is new, it is better.
Chris Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 05:09   #2 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

I run an MSD Ignition System on my Cleveland (with CDI). I use the MSD Crank Trigger Kit to suit a Windsor (takes a bit of work to get to fit). You will also need to run a MSD Programable Timing Computer with it. A bit of work to get it to all fit, but well worth it in the end.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:30   #3 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Re: Crank trigger on a Clevo & LPG injection?

Hey shane, whats an MSD prgrammable timing kit worth?

And do they have to be used with a crank trigger or can the hall effect sensor in a TFI dizzy be used?

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:32   #4 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

In round figures, a Crank Triger Kit is worth $500-00 and a Programable Timing Computer is worth $500-00. I don't know if they make a Crank Trigger Kit for a Six Cylinder though.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Yeah I didnt think they would have, thats why I was wondering if you could use the hall effect sensor within the TFI distributor.
It does basically the same thing doesnt it?

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 16:05   #6 (permalink)

lpg injection

hey chris with the lpg injection i would not hold my breath. i dont know if you have already heard but in the late eighties early nineties a company called gas developement australia pioneered the gas injection. however after they pissfarted around for about a year they used a efi system that was modified to run a water heating system. The end resualt was they had the system working although it had extreme trouble first starting up first thing because of the water being cold. they overcame that by running a modified exhuast manifold with a alloy water jecket in it which heated the water almost immediately and the injectors would not freeze. But they found after all their work that lpg does not burn in liquid form and with injecting they gas by the time it had entered the cylinder and the engine fired the lpg was still liquid about 85%.they found that you need at least 6 inches of travel time in a 1 1/2 inch pipe under the vacuum of 8500 rpm for the lpg to 100% turn to gas. the main reason for such a long distance is lpg turns to gas at abient air pressure however in you gas system you would have the vacuum of the engine this lowering the air pressure and the lpg needs longer to turn to gas. this is the reason for your converter. I don't mean to burst your bubble in any way but i have looked into this many times.my father has been a professional engine builder both here and in america for the last 30 years and he was one of the original guys working on gas injection and as hey said many times "take my word for it don't waste your time sunny". i dont know you can argue with that but i have tried and in 1996 sprint gas told me they were only weeks away from having there gas injection ready. personally i believe that gas injection has been tried and tested and it does not work! other wise they would stop bullshitting us and have it finished. I hope they prove me wrong one day i reaaly hope, currently my 302 clevo runs quad converters off a 130 litre tank with overfill into twin impco 450 carby mixers. my old boy built they engine for me it is in my xe ghia toplader shortened 9" at the rear wheels 678bhp and proud of it.hope it helps.
cheers.
hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 16:53   #7 (permalink)

sorry mate ment to say quads converter and with no overfill on the tank, probably a few more typo's not a keyboard person.
cheers
hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:38   #8 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Chris,

What type of crank trigger do you want?

Pete.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:22   #9 (permalink)

It's become a mute point now, Pete. The guys that are going to fit the LPG system reckon that it's not really worth it for a street car. The engine's already got electronic ignition and never revs over 5000RPM anyway. So I'm sticking with that. I might dig the Jaycar rig out once I get it working again and have a play with that but the cost of doing the CDI rig is a bit over the top for what I need anyway.

Thanks all the same,

Chris.

There are two types of fools.
The first, who thinks that because it is old, it is good
And the second, who thinks that because it is new, it is better.
Chris Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 22:18   #10 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brooks
It's become a mute point now, Pete. The guys that are going to fit the LPG system reckon that it's not really worth it for a street car. The engine's already got electronic ignition and never revs over 5000RPM anyway. So I'm sticking with that. I might dig the Jaycar rig out once I get it working again and have a play with that but the cost of doing the CDI rig is a bit over the top for what I need anyway.

Thanks all the same,

Chris.
Well actually a multiple spark unit has definite advantages in the low to mid range and then switches to a fatter single spark at higher rpm.
So get yourself a Crane Hi-6.

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech