cross flow LPG turbo in tc cortina! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 21:19   #1 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

cross flow LPG turbo in tc cortina!

I have a 250 tc cortina, pre xflo, on gas, 3 spd bw auto, 2.77 open centre diff.

I want to turbo it. I am pretty sure I need to scrap the pre x flo and sling in an x flo.

So what x flow is best suited for the turbo application? (cast iron, alloy head etc)

I want to run a GRA throttle body and twin convertors. Can you use an intercooler with this set up?

Do you recon there is a better/cheaper way?

What turbo would be best? I need a larger one as I want the boost to start at 2500-3000 so I can still cruise around on the street off boost most of the time. Then get a big hit when boost comes on.

What would be the max boost without touching the internals? Im thinking about 5-7 psi?

I want to run a very mild turbo set up for awile (2-3 years), get used to it save some cash and then go all out. (300+rwkw).

Can you tell me everything I will need? I know about turbo, external wastegate, custom exhaust manifold, intercooler, oil lines, all connecting piping, bov. I am sure I have missed a few things.....

i have done a search on x flo turbos but I still want to know more. Especially anything and everything about LPG turbos!

any help is much appreciated thanks,
thek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2004, 23:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: cross flow LPG turbo in tc cortina!

I can't answer everything here, you'll have to search, but having a big turbo/low compression to give the big kick when the turbo kicks in gets a bit frustrating after a while(esp. on the street). With the 2.77 diff, you'll get blown away off the mark by a lot of cars- once you get going it might be alright, but can you afford to race people up to 160km/h all the time? You're better off having a more responsive set-up for the street, and 9 times out of 10 you'll go quicker anyway.
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 00:54   #3 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

[QUOTE=shano6]having a big turbo/low compression to give the big kick when the turbo kicks in gets a bit frustrating after a while(esp. on the street). With the 2.77 diff, you'll get blown away off the mark by a lot of cars- once you get going it might be alright, but can you afford to race people up to 160km/h all the time? QUOTE]

yeah I see what you mean, it might be better having boost come on at around 1500-2000. I wont be running the 2.77 diff either. Hopefully Ill have a 3.23 disc brake lsd from an ed xr 6.

I have been giving a whole lot of thought to turboing the pre-crossflow now. Why, you ask? It would be something a bit different, though I am sure it has been done before. And I already have that motor bolted to the car!

Would I be able to get the same amount of power from the pre-crossflow as the crossflow, for the same amount of money? Would using the 2v head offer any advantage? I would be using the lpg set up again. Are there any forseeable problems I might encounter doing the pre-crossflow turbo?

What would you guys recommend, using the pre x flo or the xflo?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2004, 15:53   #4 (permalink)

I would personally use the alloy head x-flow, as they flow well stock, parts are easier to come by, and they're about 20kg lighter. The 2V head is apparently quite good though- maybe talk to a gas expert about the diff. heads and see what they think.
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:02   #5 (permalink)

go the x-flow alloy head no question ask as they are lighter flow heaps! beta and allready have hardened valve seats

for a low psi set up like that u could have the turbo spooled up in no time u could possibly use a vg30det turbo or even one of a rb25det u could still make 180+rwkw and there also cheap
fatjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will be going the alloy head crossflow. I was thinking of using a GT40. Like off the xr 6 turbos. Do you recon that would be a good size? They are expensive though arnt they?

Any other help or info on crossflow lpg turbos would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-01-2004, 05:09   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thek
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will be going the alloy head crossflow. I was thinking of using a GT40. Like off the xr 6 turbos. Do you recon that would be a good size? They are expensive though arnt they?

Any other help or info on crossflow lpg turbos would be much appreciated.

thanks
Mate i am in the process of doing a similar set up myself at the moment, using some of shano6's old gear and I would be more than willing to help out as much as i can. I will tell you right now, that a GT40 will be damn big ( considering they make 240kW at very low boost ) and very very very expensive... There's no reason why a T04 at around 9-10 psi, with the right cam and induction can't make 200kW at the wheels which is a helluva lot for a cortina
Old 07-01-2004, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

GT 40's are $2700 at gcg...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 18:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
GT 40's are $2700 at gcg...

Not any more... I just went and bought them all off him with the spare change in my pocket
Old 07-01-2004, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
known as tibbo

not meaning to pinch your thread so the XR6T's run the GT40 then??

thats what i want :)

On the LPG set-up i doubt that you would need twin convertors?

Source the volume of a few of the larger convertors around.. i'm sure the cfm of some of those would be ample for a HI-Po 6
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech