el fairmont lpg problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2002, 21:57   #1 (permalink)

el fairmont lpg problems

hey guys and gals,
i'm looking at buying an el fairmont, there is two that have caught my eye. one is straight petrol, the other has dual fuel. the dual fuel is only $500 more than the straight petrol one which seems to me to be a good deal. has anyone had any problems with a dual fuel el fairmont, and would it hinder any of the basic mods that i might think of doing to the car?
cheers
ninety_sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2002, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

Hiya,

LPG can have restrictions on some mods - exhaust, extractors and cold air intake. If you're looking at head/cam work with forced induction down the track, your options will be restricted by most factory setups. Just my 2c mate !

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-06-2002, 00:58   #3 (permalink)
a vile merchant

I wouldn't touch the duel fuel one. On an EFI car, you'll be spending all your mod money just to get back up to the standard of straight petrol

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:40   #4 (permalink)

I have access to a dual fuel EF and, to this point, we have only had a few problems. It is a Tickford system, where the computer has been spoken to regarding to changes from LPG to petrol

Over approx 90,000 km:

1) Original owner must have had some work done one the car as the converter had an air lock and would freeze. Once found and fixed, no problem

2) Running car on gas is less economical than petrol as far as Kms/l go. The initial cost of a tankfull of petrol is a killer though.

3) Running the car on gas disguised the fact that the o-rings on the injectors were stuffed.

4) bad leads caused the car to backfire on LPG. Once found and fixed , no problem. Replaced coil pack at the same time.

5) need to use good quality oil, needless to say, and strict oil change intervals as the LPG has acids that can build up in the oils and affect the bearings.

Overall, no real problems whatsoever (touch wood) despite what a lot of people have said about the Tickford system, including Gasresearch who tried to sell me one of their systems when the converter was freezing.

As far as mods go., I have a 351C that is dedicated gas. It has had headwork done by my favourite head jobber. All he needed to know was that it was LPG. It has a cam designed for LPG (Crow). dizzy mods to suit gas. extractors. Goes quite well

Forced induction systems for LPG are not uncommon, and have been around for quite a few years, and I am sure that there are drag cars running in the States with LPG forced induction, although I don't know of any in Oz.

Yes, gas does give you less power, but it depends what you are after. Petrol in traffic light drags, and gas when you blow the other car into the weeds. The change in this EF is instantaneous, only a slight hiccup from the engine

Keep the rubber side down
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:49   #5 (permalink)
Finnaly back

nup I reakon stuff the gas, cause if you are on both you will have problems, so whats the point? Iv had a goodtime with gas on my EA but there are problems, I just wouldnt bother with it

1 of 10 Fords
Chad_XF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:54   #6 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

Duel fuel is good.

My friend has the tickford dual fuel factory system and has only once had a problem with his mixer and that was it, his car has done 200,000kms + .

I also have LPG and am straight gas, i havent had any major problems, just needs to be tuned every wack and nick and other then that you never will have the problem of your injectors being dirty, or your fuel lines being blocked or anything else.

Also mind you, i can still flog a XR6 off the mark by a mile quite easily on gas :)
Old 08-06-2002, 20:38   #7 (permalink)
XD's rule

we have a EBII wagon that was converted to gas @ 40'000km's, now its donr 265'000kms without touching anything mechanical (not a bad effort!) and it still runs fine :)

my own car (XD falcon) is on gas and it still goes pretty well, a lot of the cheap 'ring' type gas systems are shocking for power and economy. with a proper impco / whatever mixer you hardly lose any power, and u only use a little bit more gas... !

it costs me around 5 - 6$ / 100km's on LPG melb. prices, and thats with a old XD 4spd :) show me a 6cy car that can do that on petrol!

if your not going to do many k's, i wouldnt bother with the dual fuel - but over any kind of fairly long distance the LPG will pay for itself quickly :)
xced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech