Elko System in BA 2004 XT Sedan - HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 17:34   #1 (permalink)

Elko System in BA 2004 XT Sedan - HELP!

G'day all,

I don't have any tech knowledge about LPG systems but am hoping those who do may be able to help me. (sorry about the laymans terminology)

About 3 months ago I bought a BA falcon with the intention of putting it on LPG. I did as much research as I could and ended up getting an ELKO negative speed system installed by a local installer (who was very keen on this type of system) who gives a good warranty.

It has had problems from day 1. Backfiring and detonation when accelerating from a standing start. This eventually resulted in the air filter being split down the side. Each time it backfired and stalled, it left the car, my wife, and my kids in a dangerous situation on a roundabout or busy intersection. Anyway, after 4 or 5 return visits to the installer we seemed to have the problem sorted - at least enough that we can drive the car. He is convinced that the problem is with the electronics not passing the correct signal so in the end he fitted a device to mechanically introduce the fuel when accelerating. (I can still feel the "flat spot" quite often but then the mechanical override occurs and the engine accelerates)

After 3 months of driving the car without backfiring or stalling the thing backfired, stalled, blew the air filter apart, and left me motionless in the middle of a busy intersection. I am taking it back to the installer of course but if anyone can offer any other possible solutions I would be very grateful.

I dont have confidence in the system and won't be using it if the family is in the car.

Please help!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Mike.
Marmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech