Ford Forums banner

Interesting Side Effect of LPG installation

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  qwikcorty 
#1 ·
Gave my Ute a flogging today, as it my last day with, trading it in tonight....

Anyway driving flat knacker, I found that the speed limiter doesn't work when running on LPG.

This will be due to the speed limiter being fuel cutout related, and the Impco LP system having its own engine manangement system.

At ***** I decided to back off before the secondary , more forceful, speed limiter activated and the tailshaft popped out.

*****Edited by Laminge******
Dont know who is watching

#3 ·
Where do people go to speed so much? After losing my licence for speeding, I still haven't taken my AU over 130 :( I did take my old EF to 170 though on my home from Ballarat one early morning, hehe, thank god I didn't get caught that time!!

#4 ·
mate, one of the bennifits of living in SA!! although its getting harder to find somewhere to do it, its usually possible to open your car up somewhere, but there is always that risk.... Thats interesting jesmol, i was in my mums AU fairmont running on LPG and lets just put it this way, we definately went over the limiter! it wasnt slowing down either but i told her to cut it out

I was wondering why it let us... interesting

#5 ·
fte22 said:
Where do people go to speed so much? After losing my licence for speeding, I still haven't taken my AU over 130 :( I did take my old EF to 170 though on my home from Ballarat one early morning, hehe, thank god I didn't get caught that time!!
For me best land speed record to test is early saturday/sunday morning at "censored" with no cars on the road and keeping 110% alert. Have driven the EF to the limiter, felt planted and very very smooth. Was awesome.
Wish the limiter wasn't there i can see 210km/h+ easy.

Oh yeah have driven a VT commodore to 180km/h, took heaps longer to get there compared to the EF. And didn't really pull as the speed over 120km/h.

Haven't driven land speed records in the XR6.

#6 ·
If you want a real treat, plan a trip to the Northern Territory. When you hit the border it's open slather but watch out for wandering livestock, particularly at night.

#8 ·
laminge said:
Guys

I really dont like speed maxs being posted on an open forum., but hey that may be me, hate to see something come of it!
Guys, I agree with Laminge on this one, and apologise for starting this off. A little irresoponsible of me I suppose, but its an emotional day......

There is only one particular stretch of road I will do this down (and have only done this twice in two years), its a down hill section, no side roads, and at least 20m visiblity each side of the road, and 2km view up the road for oncoming traffic. Its also a well and truly out of the way area in the Adeliade Hills

I raised this more as a peculiar side effect of the LPG install, and have just had a thought about the legality of the install?

I would have thought any system that removes a speed limiter is illegal?:BW:

#9 ·
younggun said:
mate, one of the bennifits of living in SA!! although its getting harder to find somewhere to do it, its usually possible to open your car up somewhere, but there is always that risk.... Thats interesting jesmol, i was in my mums AU fairmont running on LPG and lets just put it this way, we definately went over the limiter! it wasnt slowing down either but i told her to cut it out

I was wondering why it let us... interesting
The reason the limiter doesn't work is it is fuel based, and built into the ECM , so when 180 is reached it cuts fuel out, gradually slowing the motor down to about 175 when the power kicks back in.

LP system tend to run their own control system which in my does have a speed sensor and therefore could not have cutout LP supply

A spark cutout could achieve the same effect but it wouldn't be able as smooth a cutout?

#10 ·
hey mate, if you wouldnt mind could you PM me this spot? just out of interest of course... ;)

#12 ·
Its legal off the road and in the N.T

Uhuh, it gets pointless if your needle is sitting on the dash and your in 5th gear and at peak power. Not bad for a boxy 13 y/o 3.0L..

Its okay to talk about it if you did it off the road on a track or private circuit or if you did it in locations where it is unlimited (N.T). Best not to give out specifics if done other places or unsure, even if there technically (afaik) is not much that police can do.

I know a person who was a idiot for quiet a while. He blew up my old mans (I think ED) 4.0 fairmont doing 200kmph.. Tailshaft/gearbox got bad vibes and kinda exploded.. Not good by the way, lucky its a company car and indestructable. Then about 12 months ago got caught doing 230kmph in a V6 Statesman. Yes, giving enough road and a steep enough hill (several km long) you can really wind those old V6's out. Cops couldn't belive it was a V6. They were already doing 110kmph when he flew past them, they only really caught up to him when he slowed down after the hill cause of traffic..

I don't belive removing any speedlimiter on a car is illegal. only on trucks.

#13 ·
XR_Strider_GuY said:

For me best land speed record to test is early saturday/sunday morning at "censored" with no cars on the road and keeping 110% alert. Have driven the EF to the limiter, felt planted and very very smooth. Was awesome.

Oh yeah have driven a VT commodore to 180km/h, took heaps longer to get there compared to the EF. And didn't really pull as the speed over 120km/h.

I've had my V8 NF fairlane (ef long wheelbase sedan) upto 220Km/h not even trying hard either. For some reason when the cruise control is on, but not activated the limmiter does not work on mine. Strange.. I'm not complaining. And its smooth as silk all the way up there and gets there in bugger all time. Fearing my tailshaft would detach, i dare not push it over 220..

#14 ·
Re: taking the car to 250kph + licence intact

XR_Strider_GuY said:

Take your cars to the local race track most of them have independant groups that run car / bike track days . I take my kwaka ZX6R to Eastern Creek all the time oran park occassionlary and I've done phillip island once. 250kph down the straight of Eastern Creek & thru turn one at 180
that one takes big kahonas to take fast no worrys about your licence big grassy runoffs no telegragh poles an ambo on site in case of something going dreadfully wrong, Out of the 20 or so I've been to I've never seen anyone go away seriously hurt. anyway you pay $120 to $160 [depending on who you go with] for 8 x 20 minute sessions in one of 3 graded groups newcomers generaly go out in C you have the option of going up later in the day these are not race days they are track days and people are a lot more polite on the track and you are urged to ride/ drive within your abilitys/limits you can drive/ride as fast as you dare most new people are a bit concerned about themselfs driving/riding to fast and losing it thats probably good as they relise that they have limits but realisticly when the speed rises you quickly realise that your sense of self preservation kicks in ,and where your abilitys realy lay. most driveres/ riders will improve there skills in 1 to 2 days on the track than they will in 10 years of driving/riding !! TRUE as you get to correct/ improve on the same corners ie you get a second and a 50th chance to do it better ,on the road generly you don't get to see the same corner till the next day when some kiddy is probably trying to cross there for some unknown reason just when your putting the hammer down in your one favourite corner of your 25 min. trip to work Bang
Anyways trackdays are a blast there a few of them moto concepts do car/ bike days ,filco and a few other look them up on the web overall there pretty good value when you compare 250 kph for $120 probably 30+ times compared to 120kph in 80 zone $2000 fine in front of a judge & losing your licence not being able to get to work
there a blast you might go thru a set of tyres and a set of pads every 4th track day or so but big deal use old tyres and fit the pads yourself and have a ball driving within your abiltys

#16 ·
NSW up to $2000 fines for speeding! is what the RTA billboard said on the side of the road.
Anyway even if it is $560 +whatever the judge thro's at you + court costs $140 plus a set of standerd tyres & pads every third or more trackday is still good value a lot safer & a shit load of fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.