Lpg - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2002, 01:35   #1 (permalink)

Lpg

Just a question relating to LPG, how many of you people run it? What are the benifits (besides obviously saving money on fuel), and what are the downsides?

any input appreciated.
Pete.
Pete84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2002, 02:06   #2 (permalink)

more milage for ur dollar
less performance
EB - Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 02:18   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Also there is added complexity, additional servicing requirements (far outweighed by the huge fuel cost savings), loss of boot space and split-fold seat functionality, and on the upside, the ability to cruise far longer distances without refilling - on a duel fuel setup at least.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 04:38   #4 (permalink)

Once the gas price gets higher than 50% than that of petrol, LPG is not economical to be compared to petrol.

LPG gives a lesser performance, you have to use close to 30 - 50 % more LPG to get the same energy released than petrol.

No Longer a Ford Forums Member, have now gone to
www.BSeries.com.au

EA Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 04:51   #5 (permalink)

As a fellow who drives a LPG car for around 30-70 hours a week I've learnt how LPG ticks in a ED-EL series unit anyway. On Cold days you can get excellent fuel economy (depending on tank setup of course weather your car has dual fuel as they often have or deicated lpg). My tank on duel-fuel EL setup gets nearly 400km+ on a cold day/highway and barely 220 (pushing it) on heavy city traffic on a boiling hot day.

As Jack said before LPG need to be properly maintained (run petrol in the fuel lines at least once a week) and a splash of premium unleaded and Wynns Spitfire once a month to keep the injectors in good nick. Though the money you save in using LPG is heaps and maintence cost are usual very low on a well maintained unit. Even with George W opening his hole on Iraq LPG prices have slighty increased but is still way cheaper than petrol by around 50%.

On a LPG car it can be hard to start (high milage car) I always start my car on petrol and switch to gas when I rolling. Well thats why my motor has never died the lpg never needed 'real' maintance (apart from some usual gasket/hose wear on a taxi car) she drives like a sub 200k car despite approach 1/2 million clicks of hard driving. BTW the LPG is made by Tickford maybe thats why it goes so well :)
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:15   #6 (permalink)

Petrol.. fill up 70 bucks worth and get 450-550 k's... depending on drive

Gas.. fill up with 30 bucks ..and get 350-450 depending on how i drive..

do the maths and it is u to 3 times cheaper to have my car on Gas...

When u do 700Km's a week like me...
I have to have my car on Gas

Performace difference is HUGE in my opinion.

I ran it straight petrol for a week (Synergy 8000) and now when i put it back to LPG... its Sluggish in comparison.

ahh well ..
cant win em all eh
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 14:37   #7 (permalink)

I have a duel fuel NF Fairlane, 220,000 k and the engine shows no sign of wear at all.

Gas has a couple of advantages over petrol.

1. It has an octane rating of around 110 which is good, no more pinging.
2. It enters the cylinders as a gas, and not as a vapourised liquid as does petrol. Think of the oil film on the cylinder walls, a gas will not dilute or wash off this oil film, petrol will. Hence longer engine life.
3. Becasue it is a cleaner fuel, the engine and exhaust systems will not clog up with carbon.
4. Its cheaper - who cares about performance, you are only racing towards the next red light!
Old 09-17-2002, 21:56   #8 (permalink)
Lost in FF

I was thinking about switching to LPG is it better going for straight LPG or dual fuel and costs involved??
Old 09-18-2002, 02:20   #9 (permalink)

Seeing the petrol gear is there, just get LPG and make it duel fuel, it helps to run a bit of petrol through it now and again (20 litres/month) just to keep the valves in good nick. Cost?--- I dunno, check google, there is a few on-line sites around. Your engine will last twice as long. Trust me.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech