lpg converter freezing up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 05:23   #1 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

lpg converter freezing up

the xe hasnt been satatex for 3 days while i wsa doing the brakes, today uip on stands started it, to test the brakes, and abou 30 seconds afterstarting it, and tryin to get the car to 80 kays, at 2 grand the car kept dying, the gas converter kept freezing up

so we poured water on it, and froze again, checkd the water lines, and itwas getting water?!? could the converter be stuffed now? ive just spent HEAPS on brakes,, got brake booster, slotted front discs, and standard rear discs, as well as bendix advance pads all around... i cant afford any more money, and i NEED a car as mums going to hospital next week, and i gotta look after my brothers, and take them to school and stuff....

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 06:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: lpg converter freezing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_WoG
the xe hasnt been satatex for 3 days while i wsa doing the brakes, today uip on stands started it, to test the brakes, and abou 30 seconds afterstarting it, and tryin to get the car to 80 kays, at 2 grand the car kept dying, the gas converter kept freezing up

so we poured water on it, and froze again, checkd the water lines, and itwas getting water?!? could the converter be stuffed now? ive just spent HEAPS on brakes,, got brake booster, slotted front discs, and standard rear discs, as well as bendix advance pads all around... i cant afford any more money, and i NEED a car as mums going to hospital next week, and i gotta look after my brothers, and take them to school and stuff....
The usual reason for a converter freezing up is low coolant level, especially if the converter is mounted high in the engine bay.
Once it freezes up you may have to wait a bit longer for the internals to thaw before water flow resumes, check coolant level and purge any air lock from the system.

It's also possible that the water flow to the converter isn't piped up correctly.. EG: flow might be dependant on the thermostat being open before water flows though it, which is the wrong way to pipe it up.

Another possibility is the water maze in the convertor is blocked with rust or gunk. Some convertors are more susceptable to this than others, it also depends on how well you've maintained your cooling system.
---------------------------------
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 16:20   #3 (permalink)

What he said
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20   #4 (permalink)

As above.......Most common fault of freezing convertors is LOW COOLANT / lack of flow or a blockage.

No Longer a Ford Forums Member, have now gone to
www.BSeries.com.au

EA Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:55   #5 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

rad cap was off all the time i was checkin it, and its been topped up,

today i got and installed a b2 converter, and the performance of the car has skyrocketed... much more smoother and better,

and now i gotta fix the waterpump, and fan GRRRR ive already spent soo much on this car this week, i just done all the discs in it grrr

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:01   #6 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

You may have an air block.
Bleed the cooling system and start again.

Mine does this every time I change the radiator inhibitor. It is most common on straight LPG vehicles where the car doesn't start on Petrol and has a chance to bleed the air from all the water lines.

Did you muck around with the Rad at all before you started her up ?????
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:05   #7 (permalink)
No longer around

i had a problem on my XF, where the converter would freeze up a lot - to the point it was useless running gas.

found the problem was with the way they had set up the coolant pipes

it had the pipe coming out of the water pump to the heater, and a T off that to the converter.
same with the return hose.
changed it so that it went into the converter with a T to the heater on both and it was perfect after that.

if its worked perfectly all the time then it probably isnt this but if its been giving you grief a fair bit then its worth checking
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech