Ford Forums banner

LPG EA OWNERS WARNING!

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Broomy 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

Well I haven't been having the best week(I'll spare you guys the story), and yesterday afternoon didn't help much.

After parking my car for a few hours I returned to find my car battery completely drained(New heavy duty battery).

I then attempted to jump start the thing. When I connected the cars together I noticed that my gas mixer was releasing gas into the intake, even though the ignition was completely off. The car refused also to start. I managed to bypass the gas system etc. and get the car started, and drove it home.

I spent today trying to figure out what had caused the battery to go flat, and also send my gas system into a tail spin.

It ended up being caused by my faulty fuel pump. It ceased up internally. This then caused excess current drain along the fuel pump circuit, to which the gas is also connected.
The pump relay had been melted, as well as it's loom.

Here is the scary part.
The relay melted and became stuck in the on position. This meant that while the car was off, the gas was still being released into the engine. The battery eventually went flat as a result of the large current drain from the short, however, in the two or so hours it took for the battery to die, about 1/2 tank(30L) of LPG was released into the engine.

If an open flame were to be placed near the engine of the car during this time, I am quite confident that there may have been some serious explosive results, literally!

For anyone who has an EA on LPG, I warn you that this can be a very dangerous situation. If you fuel pump is not working correctly, fix it, or simply disconnect the thing.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
**** man!
that is seriously bad shit. not good at all...
lucky you sorted it out pronto. lot of people wouldnt have picked anythign wrong with the gas smell, especially if you were trying to start it a few times...
one question, out of curiosity - how'd you manage to start the thing with a ****ed fuel pump? mine starts on petrol, so i woulda had to get a tow if that happened to me...
hope things get better from here mate. gonna get an XR pump to replace the stock one?

Jase

#3 ·
Hey J,
To get the car started I disconnected my fuel pump (Thankfully I did not have my audio gear in the boot at the time) to remove the short. I then used a piece of wire to manually turn on the gas solenoid. This meant that the car ran on gas, however, if the car was turned off, or stalled, the gas would continue to be released. Once I got it home, I opened the hood, removed the wire and the car turned off.
I fixed all the wiring a few hours ago and I’ve now altered the gas wiring so that the chance of this ever happening again is greatly reduced.

As for the new pump, I'm not sure if I'll go for the XR pump, I might do a little research first. I'll be checking out the EF-AU pumps, both I6 and V8 as well.

Take care mate.

Take care mate.

#6 ·
Hey i know LPG is getting popular these days, but i would never get a car with it, no matter how far i traveled each day. It's more dangerous and unstable than fuel. It also ****s around with your car. I dont want to start a debate cause each to there own. I prefer straight optimax which costs a packet but its better than screwing around with gas systems. But your the lucky one Bass , if i had gas in my car and the same thing happened id probably would of blown my self up.
I had gas on my first car XE Fairmont , but ripped it out a week later (It was my brothers car and hes a tight arse so he ran gas.)It completely ****ed the engine (4.1 Ltr) and wrecked havoc especially at high speed (80Km+) and idleing. I say all of this due to my bad experiences with gas systems. It was alright in my old company car as i didnt pay a cent for gas or maitenance.

Anywayz hope ya get it fixed. Ever thought about putting in a Tickford gas system or even gas research as i heard these are better systems.

#14 ·
not so much that the flame is scary, but a spark and LPG just dont mix... if you had dissconected the battery and reconnected it when it went flat with all that gas pumping out, and a spark was given off... well... its fairly safe to say that you might not be posting here today..

be careful with LPG guys... Ive got my RX4 13Bturbo on straight LPG and i have had no problems with it... I strongly recommend that if you mainly only use your car for the gas to get it converted to straight gas.. My economy is almost the same as my old bridgeport motor, and the power is unbeilivable..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.