Ford Forums banner

Lpg Mixer

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  XR9UTE 
#1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals.

I have checked out quite a few mixer setups on everything from the EA-EL and the largest internal diameter I could get was about 3cm.
I personally think that this places a large restriction on the car, and im wondering if anyone else has managed to get around the problem.

Is there a reason why the mixers are so small?

I have recently spoken to Gas Research about getting a gas mixer with a larger diameter then the standard units, they have one and it's about 5.8cm in diameter, with a price tag of $100. Do you think it's worth it?

I have also considered making up a custom mixer. Would there be a problem with having a mixer almost the same diameter as the throttle body?

Thanks ppl.

#6 ·
hey ... :)
ive driven 3 gas falcons -
Ebs2 - the gas 'ring' in front of the throttle is exactly the same diameter, doesnt lose much power on gas
XD - dodgy small ring on top of single BBl carb - bout as much g force as a rideon mower :eek:
XD - holley / Imco setup - lost hardly any power at all on gas

#7 ·
Sweet. I think I'm just going to go for an inline ring mixer with a large diameter, hopefully the same as the throttle body.
I am not too concerned with getting max performance out of LPG, however, I want maximum air flow for when the car is on ULP, which is when it has it's best performance.

I might have a go at making up a custom one, and if that doesn’t go well, I'll grab the GRA mixer.

Thanks PPL.

G
#8 ·
I agree, all of the mixers/carbs I have seen are too restrictive so....
Ive made my own LPG mixer for my EFI cleveland.

It is 70mm I.D. and works great. I lose only 7hp compared to petrol.
I am currently tooling up to produce an initial run of ten. I may make some of them at around 60-65mm I.D. for sixes and milder applications.
I'm using a dual outlet OMVL converter.

Interested Bass man?

Pete.

#9 ·
I have the same problem with the restriction on my gas mixer. I was under the impression that the restriction was there to cause a pressure drop so that the gas flowed into the intake better??

From looking around I though the only option would be to go for a Gas Resarch Throttle Body.

I would be very interested if there was an alternative as it definitely has a very negative effect on performance...

#10 ·
i own an EA falcon multipoint on gas and it has an IMPCO mixer on it and the power difference between gas and petrol is hardly anything, unless you give it a really hard time then It cant be noticed and it runs smooth and without problems touchwood, the gas system is the age of the car (1989) and it still works fine after 280,000kms !

#11 ·
Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance, but I seem to be hearing more and more of these IMPCO systems - in particular the mixers. I have just recently upgraded my factory setup to the GRA throttle body and fuel converter - and I'm sceptical on the *guaranteed* 10% + increase in power.

Spinksy : I'm guessing that you're referring to the problem when you take your foot off 'go' and it stays 'stuck' and revs don't decrease ?

I've given up on my setup - GRA claim that their system needs 1500 kms to run in 0 so I'm guessing that *magically* I'm going to get better than ~20L/100 kms at that stage - PFFT ! 'Not Happy Jan!' Sorry lads, I'm just a bit peeved with my *ahem* bang for my buck *ahem*

Cheers,
Steve

G
#13 ·
discokin6 said:
XR9UTE, I would be interested in a smaller diameter mixer. Have you got a price estimate?
I suspect they will sell for around $350-$400 at this stage.
I won't know for sure until I get this first batch machined(which is taking longer than I expected). They are made from solid 6061-T6 aluminium with stainless feeds. I'll likely make a couple of 60's,a couple of 65's and the rest of the ten in 70mm(like the one on my ute). Is a 60mm small enough for ya?

Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.