LPG prices - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2002, 13:21   #1 (permalink)

mad LPG prices

This weekend, up here in the Deep North, the pump price for LPG was 58.5c litre, 3 weeks ago it was 39.9 Does anyone know what's going on here? What prices are you paying in your area?
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2002, 15:04   #2 (permalink)

To bloody much,I no that there was something on the news about it ,I didn;t see it.Here in adelaide it stayed around the 36's but now I've paid up to 59. this realey suck's I thought IT was surpost to be cheap.
fordxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 15:49   #3 (permalink)

i have just bought a NA XR6 that I can't put on gas. My current car is on gas and we were wondering how we were going to cope running on petrol again. the current prices in geelong are 57 cents a litre. makes the gas not worth running on in a EFI car. don't know the reasons for it all though. If petrol is the price it is I would have thought that petrol would be over 1.20 a litre. who knows. gas has always been under half price of petrol but not anymore.
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

Sydney its jumping from 43c to 57 right now, its driving me absolutely insane and pissing me off even more!
Old 11-16-2002, 20:35   #5 (permalink)
Why Not

The servo across the road from Fords in Geelong had 96.9 posted. Thats gotta be a mistake...I think...but who knows what these mongrels are up to.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 20:57   #6 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

Gas shouldn't be more than about 25 cents.
Seriously though, if it was 'economically viable' before why wouldn't it be now?
I think it's just because now more people are using Gas, and they want to make more profit. Greedy bishes!
Old 11-16-2002, 21:02   #7 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Reason for the hike in prices lies with the Saudis more than australian domestic prices. If you wish to see what taxes u pay on lpg per state, have a look at these diagrams at caltex - http://www.caltex.com.au/pricing_pla_lpg.asp

Also from Autogas Australia -
http://www.autogaschallenge.com.au/A...as/pricing.htm

To understand the fundamentals of LPG prices in Australia, it is necessary to have an appreciation of the history of LPG supply in Australia and an awareness of current international and local LPG supply realities.

Prior to 1970, only relatively small volumes of LPG were available from oil refineries. However in 1970, the Bass Strait producers decided to extract LPG from the oil and gas streams and constructed a world scale LPG fractionation plant at Westernport, Victoria. Local LPG demand in Australia was not adequate to economically justify such a plant but adequate demand from Asia underpinned its economics. Thus the plant was built originally as an export facility.

However, with the growth in local demand over the following decades, the producers installed more local distribution facilities. Local demand now absorbs approx. 75% of Bass Strait LPG supply and it is now mainly butane, which is surplus to local requirements that is exported from Bass Strait. Propane is more widely demanded due to its traditional use in heating in Australia.

Demand has now grown to such a point where local propane supplies on the Australian East Coast need to be supplemented and over 300,000 tonnes per year is imported.

<b>Due to the fact that the Bass Strait producers and other producers in South and Western Australia can export their LPG at world prices (in US Dollars) and that importers of LPG onto the East Coast have to pay world LPG prices including freight to land the propane on the East Coast, Australian LPG prices reflect international price movements. </B>

There is no truth in claims that Australian LPG is exported to Japan at 5 cents per litre. Australian exporters mainly from W.A. achieve better prices than the international benchmark prices listed below because Australia is close to the main consuming countries of Japan and China and the producers can enjoy freight cost advantages.

<b>The major producer and exporter of LPG in the world is Saudi Arabia and major buyers in Asia (eg. the Japanese) purchase their LPG at the Saudi Arabian Contract Price (CP). This price is adjusted on a monthly basis to reflect worldwide supply and demand fundamentals and applies to deliveries of LPG made in the Arabian Gulf. </b>

It therefore represents a base price that would be available to Australian LPG exporters and a base cost to Australian LPG importers to which freight and other handling costs have to be added.

Looking at the average for the 2001 year of the Saudis - $US273
Looking at the average for NOV 2002 - $US327.

Analytically, possible disruption to LPG supplies from conflict in the gulf are forcing prices up. I imagine the australian companies involved have realised this - and are probably stocking LPG to supply demands (at a higher price of course) due to this disruption. What it means to us now is that we are experiencing this uncertainty as well as the miser (stockpiling) position of the petrolium coys.

Also it is interesting to note that Japan is a major influence on prices - given the failure of Japan to recognise Israel during the oil crisis of 1973/4, Japan has for quite sometime been experiencing more favorable prices from oil from the middle east for quite a while. ie it could be worse.....
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 21:45   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for that. The old "world parity pricing" trick eh.
Old 11-16-2002, 21:51   #9 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Yep.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 04:13   #10 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

Everybody pays too much tax within the price of their petrol ....

The LPG boys have had it too good for too long ..... and you're only now catching up ....

And harasn .... why would anybody want to put an XR6 on gas? OMG, what a waste ....
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech