LPG related high idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 15:06   #1 (permalink)
Buff XC

LPG related high idle

over the last day and a half the revs have been sticking at 1500-2000rpm after i give it any kind of a boot. it does this on lpg only. i am currently running a new generation setup on a thermoquad carb.

i havn't had a chance to look at it yet, but it seems like something is sticking in the carby and reducing air flow. typically if i punch the throttle it goes back to standard idle!

Has anyone experienced similar issues before?
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 15:13   #2 (permalink)
Da Da Dadada HEY dadadada

Re: LPG related high idle

Is this only in neutral? Mine does this putting it in gear and back into neutral brings it back down to normal...
Schmaigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 16:10   #3 (permalink)
Buff XC

nah....it will hold revs and just cruise along until i punch the throttle....it doesn't bother me to much though as i'm doing a lot of highway driving, so i dont even realise it. its a bit dangerous though.
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:33   #4 (permalink)
ZK 351

had the same thing happen to me ALOT, would nail it, then when i backed off, well i was still going, i was on the highway one time it happened and it was at about 100-110km/h stuck on, so i had cheap mans cruise control for the 40km trip home, LOL

never really tracked it down properly because i changed to straight LPG, and put in new regulator and mixer...

but.... i suspect it was the regulator sticking on, and i had a few guys agree with me, so if i was you i would be grabbing another reg and testing that out first.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:34   #5 (permalink)
ZK 351

only other thing it really could have been is the diaphram in the LPG mixer getting stuck
Old 11-12-2004, 02:53   #6 (permalink)
heard it before!

if its what i think it is it will get worse and possibly cause flooding, i think it will probably be the converter needing a clean, they get a wax build up on the pivot foint that the diaphram opens the impco systems dont suffer this problem due to much heavier springs(no you can't fit a heavier spring!)
i clean my own cos i know lots about gas stuff without blowing myself up, the best stuff for cleaning the wax stuff off is thinners.
it costs about $80 to have your converter cleaned by a professional something you shouldn;t attempt unless you are qualified
usually this problem comes with harder than normal staring when cold
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:06   #7 (permalink)
ZK 351

and when i say regulator (in my previous post) i mean Convertor, same difference
Old 11-12-2004, 03:30   #8 (permalink)
Whats traction?

A dirty converter will not cause sticky throttle issues. Make sure your throttle return spring is OK and that your butterflies are not sticking open.

Even a half stuck open diaphram will not cause your car throttle to stick as the butterflies should stop the gas flow anyway..... the car would actually flood and you'd stall.

You might want to check the idle RPM adjustments as well.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
ZK 351

dunno about that xdc351 because when it was happening to me i got out of the car to check, and butterflys were fully closed, and my return spring was strong anyway....

i gave a quick flick of the throttle on the carb, and it went back to normal operation
Old 11-12-2004, 03:40   #10 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZK 351
dunno about that xdc351 because when it was happening to me i got out of the car to check, and butterflys were fully closed, and my return spring was strong anyway....

i gave a quick flick of the throttle on the carb, and it went back to normal operation
How could you tell if the butterflies were fully closed? If they are sticking the spring will still be quite tight, but on the inside of the carb the butterflies are open 1-2mm more than they should be. A quick flick can snap them back to where they should be, but that means its time to have the carb overhauled.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech