LPG.. should the petrol pump be operating? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2004, 17:55   #1 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

LPG.. should the petrol pump be operating?

I've got some issues with my mum's 5.0 LPG LTD. it has various intermittant problems including

-lack of power on petrol, but idles ok
-power with LPG but idles rough
-strange gearbox behaviour, going into neutral suddenly when cruising (i do not believe this to be a mechanical gearbox issue, but something else - as it is usually flawless)
-hesitating or stalling when taking off after idling for a while (eg traffic light), seems to be only on lpg though.

I have just done a self-test (engine off) on the ECU and it came back with codes 87, 44 & 95. one is a smartlock fault, which i have no idea about... but the other two are telling me the fuel pump relay is not operating correctly. I have noticed that when the ignition is turned on (not cranking), the fuel pump will operate continously, not just prime the lines like my LTD does. I have located the fuel pump relay and have swapped it with the high beam unit but the problem remains. it does look like it has been altered for the LPG installation however.

what should the fuel pump be doing when the LPG is being used? Im a bit baffled as to what to do next as the fuel pump relay circuit has obviously been changed to suit the LPG, so i cant refer to the workshop manual. does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

Re: LPG.. should the petrol pump be operating?

also, we seem to have the smell of fuel in teh cabin occasionaly, even when running on lpg.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:48   #3 (permalink)

Re: LPG.. should the petrol pump be operating?

Have the same problem with the fuel smell in the cabin on my car (see sig) have tracked down the charcoal canister purge solenoid as the possible problem. It's stuffed and doesn't alow the fuel vapours to get to the engine to be burnt. So they just vent to the engine bay and make their way into the car.
Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech