LPG suprises.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 02:36   #1 (permalink)
Tza

confused LPG suprises..

So my XF is dedicated LPG and goes pretty well on it I reckon. No where near as quick as my capri but it's not the slug I was expecting.
But I no nothing about LPG and have already experienced my first issue.

I changed the plug leads and dizzy cap. The firing order is written on the intake manifold AND the cap. So they're no way I could screw it up. However it wouldn't start! I checked it 3-4 times in the hot sun with sweat dripping off me and I cursed and moaned at how I could mess up such a simple opperation.
Then my neighbour pokes his head over and after saying something smart about seeing a Ford with it's bonnet up, gives me some valuable info, he said that cos it was so hot the LPG tanks would have heated up and shut off. Turn off the tap in the boot and open and close the release valve before turning the tap back. Sure enough it fired up sweet as! So, had he not done this I would have gone over and over the timing until it was dark...where it probably would have started once cooled down leaving me scratching my head!

So, can anyone tell me anymore of this kind of thing about LPG?? I'll be parking it in the shade on hot days from now on.
Tza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 03:59   #2 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

Re: LPG suprises..

there is no sure valve.. only an excess flow valve which activales when gasa flows to fast, in case of ruptured line... it may have just been a stuck lock of valve
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:15   #3 (permalink)

injected 250 is right, think your neighbours been in the sun too long not your car.

I have seen probs when there is a leak in your emptys your line and converter. when you start up the lock at tank opens allowing enough gas to flow out to trip excess flow valve. If this is your prob you will hear valve reset when you turn off service valve. This is pretty rare so its more likely you've flooded engine and the time spent stuffing round with this was enough to let the gas dissipate.

Don't know what "release valve" is that your talking about but will warn you to be careful around tank pressure components, lpg will give you a good cold burn if you do manage to release gas.
blackxbhardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Tza

hmmm, well I did have to take off the LPG connection to the carb so I could remove the air filter so I could replace the rocker cover gasket. Would this have done anything?

I have 3 LPG tanks = 100L, 2 under the car and a smaller one in the boot. On this there's a tap and a release valve. When we turned off the tanks and then released a shot of LPG and then turned the tank back on again it started up. This was as my neighbour directed..

Going fine now, but since reading you're posts the plot thickens???
Old 02-10-2005, 22:42   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tza
hmmm, well I did have to take off the LPG connection to the carb so I could remove the air filter so I could replace the rocker cover gasket. Would this have done anything?

I have 3 LPG tanks = 100L, 2 under the car and a smaller one in the boot. On this there's a tap and a release valve. When we turned off the tanks and then released a shot of LPG and then turned the tank back on again it started up. This was as my neighbour directed..

Going fine now, but since reading you're posts the plot thickens???
The plots gunna thicken even more, just noticed your in nz. you have a different set of rules over there and hence some different products. thaqt being said all lpg tanks do have a relief valve for overheating, this however only vents to atmosphere, doesn't shut off supply to converter. By the way heat required to do this is on a decent fire, not the sun on a hot day.
Old 02-11-2005, 00:52   #6 (permalink)
Tza

yeah and a hot day in NZ aint nothing to you boys lol! You'd probably still be in jerseys... So, by taking off the LPG hose to the carb did I leak out all the LPG from the line or something? (I didn't hear or smell any) then when I turned it on it rushed the gas activiating the excess flow valve is this right?? weird...where can I find out more about LPG systems?
Old 02-11-2005, 13:47   #7 (permalink)

put some soapy water in a spray bottle and make sure all your connections arent leaking .when u spray it on the connections if they r leaking it will blow bubbles.check that first
richfitz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 17:12   #8 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

the vapor line to the carby is what you took of. This does not hold pressure it only suplies a vacume signal to the converter. So unless u crack a high pressure pipe either copper or flexiable hose you wont leak any gas out.
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 17:19   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tza
yeah and a hot day in NZ aint nothing to you boys lol! You'd probably still be in jerseys... So, by taking off the LPG hose to the carb did I leak out all the LPG from the line or something? (I didn't hear or smell any) then when I turned it on it rushed the gas activiating the excess flow valve is this right?? weird...where can I find out more about LPG systems?

Not likely, in aus youd have to have a lock before the converter, this lock only stays open when the engine is running. as i said before not sure how you do things over the pond so I am fliying a bit blind as to your prob. maybe your best to get a checkup and tune done on it, these are important as if it leans out too much it will backfire causing damage to your inlet tract. speak to your mechanic about it while you get this done.
Old 02-12-2005, 22:25   #10 (permalink)
Tza

Its not an ongoing problem the car runs sweet as a nut had had a tune late last year. Just the once off occurance and it hasn't happened since. Like I said, it was weird..it was running ok but I decided just to change the plug leads and dizzy cap..and it wouldn't start afterwards.
Then my neighbour told me to shut off the tank, vent out some gas and then turn the tank on again. And she started just like he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech