LPG systems for Clevo's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2003, 02:54   #1 (permalink)

LPG systems for Clevo's

Hey there everyone,

I'm about to convert my XC van with a 378 stroker clevo to straight LPG.

This motor on petrol is producing somewhere around the 350- 400HP mark.

The two systems I'm looking at are:

1. Single Impco 425 mixer which replaces the carby altogether

2. Sprintgas mixer which fits on top of my Holley (650vac sec) and uses it as a throttle body.

Is anyone familiar with these rigs. I'm particularly intested in the Sprintgas rig because it appears to be a better flowing system and it's also cheaper. Gas Attack in Melbourne had one fitted to there 500HP big block Falcon hardtop so I figure it flows REAL GOOD!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.
Chris Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 06:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: LPG systems for Clevo's

have you looked into GAS RESEARCH at all?
Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 18:43   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I am usually very wary of things that sit over the top of a carby for mixing. Sounds too much like a 'standard' LPG install. Do you have any pics or links to a website so we can see what it's all about?
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
Whats traction?

The impco is a good carby, i run one on my 351 with a 700 series holley base and although its running lean its not the carby thats causing the problems.

Gas research is the only way to go for big HP though. Their twin throttle body setup is the best a very long way. As soon as i have the money it'll be straight on my engine!

If you decide on the impco PM me as i know a couple of tricks with them and if you live in melbourne i know some places that can help getting one setup right.
Old 08-10-2003, 00:56   #5 (permalink)

I have had a look at the Gas Research gear. A friend of mine had the twin throttle body rig on her 351 and she was very unhappy with it. Lack of power and bad economy. I don't know what brand of gas she was using or what kind of mods the engine had (if any) and this was also about 5 years ago.

As for pics of the Sprintgas rig,

http://www.sprintgas.com.au/pgthree.html

The mixer I'm talking about is the Vortex.

I'd like to link to Gas Attack but they seem to have dissappeared. hmmm, that's not a good sign but I guess it's all too common these days.

The Impco 425 is only a 450cfm mixer. I would have thought getting 350HP out of one Impco 425 would be pretty well impossible. Twin 425's maybe.

The Sprintgas Vortex has proven it can flow 500HP and is designed for engines up to 8 litres. So even if it is a "standard" gas setup, a "standard" gas setup for an 8 litre engine makes for a "holy s@#t!! get outta my way" gas setup on a 6.1 litre engine :) in terms of flow potential.

I'd be interested to find out what a twin throttle body rig from Gas Research would cost.

Thanks for the offer of the gas setup joints xdc351 but I live in Canberra. One question though, you say you ran an Impco 425 on a Holley 700 series base. I thought the Impco replaced the Holley altogether. What do you mean by Holley "base"? The throttle butterflies? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Regards,
Chris.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:23   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I don't see how it could flow enough to feed and angry 351 but I don't know enough about LPG to really be sure. If the guarantee it will flow enough for the job..go for it !
Old 08-10-2003, 02:16   #7 (permalink)

I seem to recall something about them using two convertors to feed the one Vortex mixer on the 500HP big block. I can't find the magazine it was in now so I'm not sure. It was about 2 years ago in a Ford Performance magazine. A yellow XA or XB coupe. Of course the flow potential of this mixer is also dependent on the carby it's sitting on top of.

I'll get a quote from Gas Research anyway.

The Sprintgas Vortex rig is going to cost me $2,000 for the complete install including the tank, convertor, mixer and all the required fittings as well as setup.

For the Impco rig they want $2,500.

So if Gas Research is in that kind of ballpark then I guess I should consider it.

What would be really nice is one of the Sprintgas Electronic Gas Injection rigs. But that's more like $4,000 and a bugger to convert a Clevo cause they never had EFI standard so inlet manifolds have to be customised to do it. Windsor fuel rails fit though.

Regards,

Chris.

There are two types of fools.
The first, who thinks that because it is old, it is good
And the second, who thinks that because it is new, it is better.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:23   #8 (permalink)

The other problem is that the Gas Research dealer down here in Canberra is AGAS. I used to work next door to them and while I'm not prepared to tell you what I've seen them do because I don't want to get sued for slander, I will not ever use them or recommend them.

Which means that if I want a GR rig, I've got to get it in Sydney.

Regards,

Chris.

There are two types of fools.
The first, who thinks that because it is old, it is good
And the second, who thinks that because it is new, it is better.

Last edited by Chris Brooks; 08-10-2003 at 03:39.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:47   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I would want something that replaces the carby.. but if it works then that's all you can askfor !
Old 08-10-2003, 19:06   #10 (permalink)
Whats traction?

A twin throttle body GRA setup on a stock engine would be such overkill i'm not surprised it ran like a dog. It's like putting a 750dp holley on one. But there is no doubt in my mind the GRA twin throttle body setups are the only way to make good power throughout the rev range on a tough engine.

The impco's can be worked to deliver way more than we have any right to expect from such a small carby. They are ment to flow 425cfm (hence the name), but actually flow a little less due to some factory restrictions. Gas seems run a lot more fuel per CFM than petrol carbies, there is no way i would expect my engine to survive to even 5000rpm with a 465 holley if i ran it on fuel.

But its more of a compromise with the impcos, inorder to get good high rpm flow, you overfuel down low, the GRA setup does not have that problem. 2 425's will not work unless your engine needs 900 or so petrol cfm's to make power, plus you'll need a tunnel ram.

The impcos require the butterflies (base) from a holley to regulate the air flow. It is a great idea as holleys are plentiful and hooking up accellerator cables to a holley is never a problem. The 425 just bolts onto the base and your away!

xa-coupe will get to see just how nasty one can be at the raid

I don't know a single person running a sprintgas setup, anywhere, so I cannot make any suggestions on their performance.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech