LPGas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 22:07   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

LPGas

Just a quick question... has anyone here got an Elko EP-100 LPG converter/vaporisor, and do you have any specs on flow-rates? The dyno graph shows the car starting to run out of guts at only 3500rpm, and it has been suggested that this might be because of a lack of lpg flow. This remains consistent with the fact that the exhaust valves are white from high exhaust temperatures (had the head off recently), suggesting it is leaning out.

To run the engine at 4800rpm (it's an EA motor, I don't want to push it to much more without a balance, and some better internal parts), there would need to be a gas flow of 283CFM, so I guess the converter might flow ~200cfm at the moment. If anyone could confirm this figure, that would be great.

Also, the converter hasn't been serviced since it was installed. Does anyone know if a service would boost flow rates back to what they may have been originally, or just make it more responsive (due to the plenum, it is INCREDIBLY slow to respond - makes for smoother driving, but if you ask for power, you wont get it anywhere near as fast as on Petrol).

Thanks

Juarez
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2003, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Re: LPGas

LPG converters only provide LPG if they are told to by the amount of vaccum the engine has.

It is very typical for LPG motors to run out of LPG up high because the vaccum decreases as the REVS rise.

As the vaccum decreases so too does the signal to the converter for GAS flow.

So you may have either low vaccum or the converter might actually be too small. Either way , be careful as leaning out any motor under load can cause major detonation problems...............real bad

The LG Motorgas B2 will flow enough to suit 300+ horsepower if the motor is set up correctly to run on LPG only.
I'm currently running one of these in my Modified 351 and am getting to 5200 - 5500 RPM where it starts to lean out Big time.

The converter you have is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to small
It is only rated to 100 HP or motors up to a max of 2.7 litres.
Check out their website : http://www.elko.com.au/page4.html

Sounds like you've just found a new paperweight for your desk!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps somewhat

Last edited by ESP; 11-11-2003 at 02:20.
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:15   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Re: LPGas

hahahahha... I searched for about half an hour for an Elko info site.. never found anything.. should have just typed elko.com.au

Anyway, mine is the EP-100, so it's rated to 120kW, which is a bit better, but still no good for my engine, as it is currently producing something like 160-170kW, and leaning out at 3500 and above, as I said.

Might check with Elko and see how much an EP175 would be, I'm pretty sure it would be a simple, cheap changeover..

Thanks for the info, ESP :)

Last edited by juarez; 11-11-2003 at 04:37.
juarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech