N20 and LPG - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 22:09   #1 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

N20 and LPG

Is it possible? Has it been done before? What car? What times are being run?

Any info is great thanks.
thek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

Re: N20 and LPG

of corse its possible, its just like putting N2O on a carberated car, but if you where after power you wouldnt have an LPG car in the first place
Old 12-01-2004, 02:02   #3 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
of corse its possible, its just like putting N2O on a carberated car, but if you where after power you wouldnt have an LPG car in the first place
Not really. There are plenty of big powered gas burners driving around that would put most cars to shame. There are benefits other than economy to be had with LPG like emissions and higher octane rating.
I donno bout you but id love to have nitrous hooked up on my daily driver!

Ive never heard of a nitrous LPG fuelled car though so i am also interested...

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:34   #4 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Actually, from what i've read its possible but won't run hard. The LPG and N20/Petrol does not mix properly and it runs like a POS.

LPG does not make power? Who are you kidding?
While it may not have the the naturally aspirated power potential of petrol (eventually its lower energy is going to catch up) it can make plenty of power. Throw on a super/turbo charger and LPG will blow your mind.... and be 100% street legal at the same time. If you want to do it with petrol you'd better add an extra $3000 to get it engineered.

My 351, in a state of tune that would make most petrol cars barely drivable, still makes 148rwkw.... plenty more to come once the timing and fuel mixutres are all setup properly. ESP is pushing over 165rwkw with a cam i'd rate as a baby.

All this with EPA immunity (a must if you want to do anything with an XD/XE) half the price of fuel and less toxic emmissions than a mazda 121. I love it!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:01   #5 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

There was a fascinating thread on LPG vapour being injected into the engine which provided a cooling effect as it turned into gas form.

Compiling list for Turbo

Potentially it could be used to great effect i think...

Just another Eseries...
Old 12-01-2004, 03:25   #6 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Liquid gas injection is a pipe dream. I've never seen one working, never read of anyone selling a kit and aside from EA Turbo Clone's claim to have one working i've never even heard of an experimental system functioning.

The main problem is the temprature drop caused by the gas expanding. It might cool the engine but it'll freeze the injector solid in an instant... It passes through the tank lockoff at approx 15degrees C unexpanded on a warm day.... it drops to well below that, instantly, as it expands (-30degreesC if my memory serves me correctly). I'm sure it might happen eventually, but its a long way off.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Maybe theres some way to incorporate LPG vapour distribution into the throttlebody/carby?

If the temperature drop is the main problem then im positive there could be a way around this issue eg. heated injectors or whatever.

Still, with the bludy LPG excise and the growing price of it (i never thought id live to see 50c/litre LPG) market demand has dropped off significantly and there isnt any incentive for any development to continue.

Just another Eseries...
Old 12-01-2004, 10:29   #8 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

The november issue of Street Machine has a short article in KB's Workshop about using nitrous on dedicated LPG systems, I'll give you the gyst of it after work.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
Whats traction?

I missed Novembers edition so I can't comment on that one.

Heated injectors won't help, the gas drops in temprature as it expands.... so the tip will still be exposed to the lowest temps and freeze up anyway. If you consider how many times an injector fires at 6000RPM it wouldn't take long to freeze it completely.

Your right about the excise. Stupidest thing i've heard in a long time. Its been pushed back once, lets hope they wake up.
Old 12-02-2004, 15:14   #10 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
While it may not have the the naturally aspirated power potential of petrol (eventually its lower energy is going to catch up) it can make plenty of power. Throw on a super/turbo charger and LPG will blow your mind.... and be 100% street legal at the same time. If you want to do it with petrol you'd better add an extra $3000 to get it engineered.
Sorry to go off the topic a bit, but why is it that you dont have to get it engineered if its on LPG? Does this apply to dual fuel cars too? Ive also been told that you are allowed to have open POD style air filters on cars on LPG, is this true?
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech