Problem with EF on LPG - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2003, 20:55   #1 (permalink)

Problem with EF on LPG

Hi Guys,

I suspect this problem may be a well worn one on this forum but I have delved back through & not been able to find anything relevant thus far.
I have an EF on LPG which I just bought at an auction. On inspecting bits & pieces to get ready for a RWC I noticed that the air inlet duct has a large hole blown in the top of it.
Shopping around the wreckers (unsuccessfully thus far !) a few guys have told me that this is a common problem with EFI fords caused by LPG backfiring & blowing the plastic to bits.
If this is a fairly common problem I suspect there would be a few fixes out there somewhere especially given the number of taxis running the same setup.
If anyone can point me in the right direction before I go spending my hard earned on more plastic to blow apart I would appreciate it.
rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2003, 21:50   #2 (permalink)

Rodent the best thing is put new plugs and plug leads on
I service taxi's and limo's and found eagle leads to be the best for lpg
Also make sure you do not use acclerator pedal when u start the motor.
IAN SCHMIDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 00:38   #3 (permalink)

Yes plugs and leads,a missfire will cause a backfire so change your plugs on a regular basis and you shouldn't have to many problems.If you think this is a problem on Fords talk to some commodore owners even bigger problems on gas
Old 04-29-2003, 00:39   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Ian.

I've been told this arvo that replacing the inlet duct with the equivalent from an EL is a potential fix as I'm told the EL unit is made from a stronger material.

I just need to know if this is indeed possible without a lot of forcing things to fit.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:46   #5 (permalink)

The el can befitted you will have to fit the gas mixer back in the same position but there will be no problem with it
IAN SCHMIDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:10   #6 (permalink)

Replace the clips on the airbox with the spring type availiable from ford. It'll save all the plastic if it backfires.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:19   #7 (permalink)

I was amased when I went to my local ford dealer (Courtney & Petterson Heidelberg, and they have a potential solution to this which you should be able to get from any Ford dealer. p/n FO-EETVE 0036 A is a spring clip instead of the conventional clips which hold the two halves of the air cleaner together, idea is, in the event of a backfire, as the gasses expend inside the box, the springs give a little allowing a bit more room and return the lids together afterwards, make sense ? hope that helps,
elxr8393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:53   #8 (permalink)

OK thanks guys.

Anyone have any idea of the part no's for the EL air intake?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:10   #9 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

What one of my mates did on his taxi was drill a hole in the top of the airbox and then cover it with a piece of rubber that was only screwed in on one side (like a BOV). Those spring clips can also cause headaches. I've had taxi's still explode airboxs with those clips on, take them off all together. The EL elbow is more flexable and therefore can take some movement. The ones in the EF is just hard plastic. They go for about $20 - $50.

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:10   #10 (permalink)

MY EF's backfired a few times with LPG, my airbox/hoses are still ok :D
luck i reckon
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech