Rust on LPG tank/ underbody. XH ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
Want Roots Blower

Rust on LPG tank/ underbody. XH ute

Picked up my new XH ute (96) last week, I have noticed that the underbady is covered in rust. Its not really bad and flaking, but is pretty thick surface rust. The exhaust is virtually cactus, but the worrying part is the rust on the LPG tank. It's a factory tank installed underneeth at the back, and is covered in relatively thick surface rust. I'll probably replace it next december when it's due for its 10 year inspection, but I'm worried if it's safe to use in the mean time. It hasn't been run on gas for the last 6 months, and the tank is empty.

Also, what is the best way to treat the underbody? I can get plenty of cold-galv (zinc rich primer) from work, so I was just going to wire brush the worst of it and coat it in this.

Any help would be appreciated.....
XH ute. 5 speed, dual fuel.
wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 02:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rust on LPG tank/ underbody. XH ute

the best thing for you to do is use por15 it is a gloss paint that can be painted directly over rust there`s a couple of steps in the process firstly spray por15 matal ready which nutralizes the rust and etches the metal ready for the top coats then apply the top coat, this top coat is very strong it can be hit with a hammer and it wont chip or peel, your problem could be from the car being driven through salt water, i would repair the rust and sell it quick smart if salt water has got between the seams you may have problems later down the track, just spraying cold gal will only cover the rust it wont stop it
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:40   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like its a surfer ute, dont touch the LPG tank ,if its very rusty stop using it altogether, run arrond till its stops on lpg then shut the service valve and get someone to safely empty the vessel. This vessel will almost certainly fail on inspection.
A7M
aussie7mains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:51   #4 (permalink)
Want Roots Blower

Bloody hell. I wonder if the LPG tank is covered under the dealers warranty. I'll probably fix the rust, as everything else on the ute is perfect. Does anyone have a rough idea as to what a new tank is worth?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:09   #5 (permalink)

G'day,
i notice you mention that it has not run on LPG for about 6 months. There will be a reason for this.
Take it to a certified LPG professional, to have the tank checked/replaced and the vehicle recommissioned on LPG. There are a multitude of things that can go wrong when a system is disused.

There are 2 pluses in doing it this way. 1. you will know you are safe, 2. you will get docs to say it has been checked, which will have a positive impact on your insurance bill....but only if you tell them :) Some insurers ask when the LPG was last serviced. some don't.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 22:47   #6 (permalink)
Want Roots Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
G'day,
i notice you mention that it has not run on LPG for about 6 months. There will be a reason for this.
Take it to a certified LPG professional, to have the tank checked/replaced and the vehicle recommissioned on LPG. There are a multitude of things that can go wrong when a system is disused.

There are 2 pluses in doing it this way. 1. you will know you are safe, 2. you will get docs to say it has been checked, which will have a positive impact on your insurance bill....but only if you tell them :) Some insurers ask when the LPG was last serviced. some don't.

Cheers
Jas
I'll probably do that. Cheers.

The reason it hasn't run on gas for six months is that the factory (Tickford) convertor shat itself. From what I've read/heard, this is a pretty common thing with the factory ones. I'm taking the ute back to the car yard next Monday so he can have it fitted with a new aftermarket convertor. That was a condition of sale. A mate of mine has a stainless tank about the same size; I might have that checked and bung that on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > LPG Tech