Ford Forums banner

Silly technical LPG Turbo question

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sik180bsss 
#1 ·
Hi guys!
First i must excuse for bad english. I'm from Bulgaria (Europe) and recently found this forum. I'm a turbo entusiast and plan to run a low boost LPG turbo setup on my 1 800 cc Ford Mondeo, i think it's Contur in USA. I know that 1 800 cc is a very small displacement in comparison with yours 4 or 5 liter monsters, but here in Europe that's normal. I've already LPG on my car. Also got turbomanifolds, turbo - T3, other stuffs like oil and water hoses. May be intercoler will be added later. If compression ration need to be lower i'll skim pistons, cause i cant afford forged pistons. The question is: where must be LPG connected to intake manifold? Before or after turbo? I've also heard that converter must be balanced. What that mean? Is that a hose connected betwееn converter back side where it's opened ot atmosphere normaly and intake manifold? I'm looking for a scheme of LPG turbo setup and it's components, cause i'm plan to do it by myself, but can't find information about that setup. And the other question i have is: Why you guys runs Turbo on LPG? Is that for cheap LPG as fuel or it's because to run tubro on gaz is more complicated and expensive due to new engine ECU, higher flow injectors, fuel pump, ect.?

#2 ·
The question is: where must be LPG connected to intake manifold?

My homemade setup (non-turbo YET) has the LPG plumbed into the intake just before the AFM. But with the turbo I will be using a new gas throttlebody which is where the LPG is connected (AFTER the turbo).

I've also heard that converter must be balanced. What that mean?

Sorry i dont know about balancing the converter.

Why you guys runs Turbo on LPG?

I dont know about the other people on this forum, but I like LPG cause its cheap (30c/litre compared to $1/litre nowadays), higher RON which makes it more boost friendly and has better emissions which can be a big problem here.

Ive been to Bulgaria by the way. Which part are you from? I didnt see many nice cars there so if you complete your LPG turbo project you'll definitely stand out.

#3 ·
balancing the converter just means applying boost(manafold pressure) to the diaphram of the converter, otherwise when on boost pressureised air in the manafold will blow the LPG mix back into the converter as the convrter gas(withough balancing) is at atmospheric pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.