Ford Forums banner

Turbo... carby VS EFI & lpg setup

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  thek 
#1 ·
i got a few questions..... i drove my mates vl turbo today, and now ive decided next thing that gets done to my car is a turbo setup....

carby or efi? i got a carby engine, and i dont really wanna have another efi car.... carby might be easier to setup ? and do i need a computer? i really dont konw much about the efi turbo setups.... carby looks simple enough, turbo, pipe leading to carby, and thats it.... (uncles torana is carby turbo)

supplying fuel to the car....

i have to go straight lpg, because of emissions right? (car is 1982 xe pre polution, but its got charcoal canister crap)
will the sprintgas setup be enough? i got a 4bbl system (that sits on top of the carby) and a v8 converter... i will only run about 7-10 psi boost... or will i need to go to twin converters? and roughtly what will that setup set me back?

thanks people.... ive been given the go ahead, and as soon as i get 2 grand saved up, my uncle's will take me to their contacts in the car industry :D

#2 ·
well i lean towards the turbo LPG setup personally. Just bolt an Impco or a GasResearch to the EFI manifold and you can run an intercooler also. From what i hear its difficult/impossible to use an intercooler when having carby turbo but i think its depends on whether its suck thru or blow thru setup. Anyway, seems alot simpler to me goin LPG turbo using EFI manifold.

Other peope mite disagree and i havent even finished doin mine (still waiting for the bludy turbo. F*KN U.S Post!!!) so feel free to punch holes in my logic

#4 ·
WARNING; novice at large (me).

Mate I have been very interested in this same topic for awhile.

What I have come up with is this;

LPG blowthrough system on a straight gas research carb, custom plenum intake, intercooler, one convertor is enough for your 7 psi, done. LPG is cheaper to run, you can run a higher compression due to higher octane. No computer. Just ignition control (ie haltec.). No worries with emissions.

EFI new injectors, new fuel pump (sometimes two), fuel pressure regulator, new computer, more expensive to run, have to run lower compression. Potentially massive worries with legality due to emissions.

Mate, for me its such an easy decision I really cannot believe why there are not many, many more lpg turbos out there.

You would think about going the efi route if you car was already on efi and you only planned on running 7 psi. But for anything else LPG is hard to ignore.

Only thing that is really an issue is if you go on any interstate trips and you cant make it from one servo to the next. But that would only happen if you went way off the beaten track, so it should be cool.

also LPG tax coming in at 2008 (I think) is something to think about too.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.