Ford Forums banner

Who is running on LPG

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Gambit 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm only a casual browser on these forums. I'm looking at repowering my 2WD hilux ute with some more grunt. I did have a thread on here looking at fitting an I6 EA motor but unfortunately it wont fit without some major fabrication work i.e motor way to long.

Currently i'm looking at a 302W, 302C or 315C for the ute. It will have to be run on LPG to make it cheaper to run. If you run LPG can you tell me roughly how many k's you are getting, what you pay per litre, mods, where you drive the most, do u drive hard, what sort of car, anything you think is relevant.

I did a search but LPG is only 3 letters and searches have to be 4.

also. does anyone know where to find 302W motors in Australia are there any importers that bring them in. most wreckers want way to much money.

#2 ·
I ran an XC ute, 302 clevo, running straight LPG. Range was 300kms out of 70 usable litres. Approx $30 to fill up; 39.9-45.9 per litre... Only mods was an exhaust system. It was used around town, and the driving style was "spirited" and I loved to hear the tyres chirp in the gearchanges...

You after 302w carby motor or the late model efi setup??

#3 ·
I get about 250kms to a tank in my 351, full throttle whenever possible!

With the dead stock 6cyl I was driving around in for years I would get 300-350 driving in city traffic.

My current 6 cyl will be going to LPG later this year so i'm interested to see how that goes.

As far as mods go you'll need either unleaded heads (windsor only) or hardened valve seats installed. Stainless valves are recommended as is upping compression to around 10.5:1.

A decent exhaust and intake will help a lot too, the big bonus with straight LPG is you won't need to run any pollution gear which makes things a lot easier. If you do go straight LPG a recurved dizzy is essential.

Where could you find a windsor block? Try the docks... there are heaps being used as anchors. :rofl:

#4 ·
would prefer a late model Windsor because i can run it on LPG with out pulling the motor down. i dont like my chances of finding an old 302W in australia.
The other reason is the aftermarket parts available from the states, dirt cheap. The Clevo's biggest problem is its age and finding a block thats not been bored out is getting harder and harder. I'm not really interested in big horsepower numbers but i do intend to give it some mods to help it breath better. might see a drag strip every now and then
what sort of gas carby do you guys run?
depend on what motor i get i will be running more compression and probably a GRA Voodoo cam shaft. extractors are a definate, and if i feel really motivated i might port the heads a small amount. currently reading a Ford engine building book which is a great read.

#5 ·
If you are after a standard bore 351c - they are still around. I have one in my garage ATM. Personally, I'd go a windsor - lighter and narrower than a cleveland, which will make it an easier fit in your hilux. Have a look at jet hot coating with the extractors... I'm assuming you will need a special set to suit the hilux, may as well make it last. What g'box are you planning on running? Diff ratio??

#6 ·
the weight was the other thought. however a 2.4 total cast iron diesel isnt exactly what i would call a light motor.
i may use the factory W58 gearbox but its done 360000 and will need a reco. failing that just a C4 auto would be ok.
going to use the factory hilux diff as they are quiet strong. diff ratio currently is 4.2 which is going to be removed and donated to my other project will probably go with 3.7 or 3.9 as they are the fairly common.

#8 ·
I run a 425 impco mixer, which would work fine on a standardish engine like yours with advantage of being half the price of gas research kit.

The 4.2 ratio diff would be fine with a 4wd because of the massive (compared to car) tyers they run. Your effective ratio is close to a 3.7 anyway.

I'd also consider any other brand of camshaft than the GRA voodoo. Personally on a mild engine i'd go a wade cam.

#10 ·
Dad has a hj monaro on straight lpg. It has forged flatop pistons, ported heads balanced & blueprinted, edelbrock performer manifold, crane cch286A cam & electronic ignition. It's running a muncie 4sp & ford 9" with i think 3-1 diff gears & on a trip i think it gets about 400-450km out of a full tank. I think it holds about 68 litres. Best thing is it's cheap to run & goes great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.