Ford Edge Poor Gas Mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Edge Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Edge Forum Forum dedicated to the discussion of the Ford Edge.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:31   #1 (permalink)

Ford Edge Poor Gas Mileage

I am new to the forum, and also a new owner of a 2013 Edge Limited Ecoboost. I have not seen any posts on the issue I am having, so I a reaching out.
I am having terrible mileage and now have 4000km on the Edge (aka guzzler). Sticker says 6.6L /100km (HW), and 9.9L/100km (city). Well I am getting 11.9L/100km (HW) and 17.5 L/100km (city). Gulp. Dealers (x2) wont look at it until after 18000km as per Ford policy. What the hell!!
Trust me, it is not driven hard. I am so easy on this Guzzler. I drive it like an old lady.
My Mustang GT is driven hard, and I get 11.1L/100km combined!
Something is very wrong.
I feel that I have made a VERY bad mistake to buy this thing, to the point if I could return it, I would.
BTW. The sales guy thought I was kidding about the mileage.
Suggestions? Useful comments?
Enraeha2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 10:53   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Ford Edge Poor Gas Mileage

Something is seriously wrong. You're fuel consumption is almost double of any of the models, if the local dealer doesn't want to talk, go up the ladder to the district distributorship. There's probably of a lot of technicians that have gotten enough experience on the ecoboost and you're probably going to have to look past your dealership.
Old 02-08-2014, 18:12   #3 (permalink)
canuck

I still think the ecoboost engines are a mixed bag, in the sense that Ford is trying to improve their CAFE numbers, when the real world numbers fail to come close.

Stay away from sales guys. You bought it - it's yours. Sales guys stop caring after that.

Some Ecoboost engines require premium fuel (91 octane), but in some cases can be run on regular with less power and torque. I suggest trying a higher octane if you're not already as it might improve your mileage. If it fails to improve your current mileage, then something is knowingly wrong. Be it with the engine management software, or the knock sensors not doing their job to compensate for running regular fuel in an engine with boost.

Important factors for anything with a turbo or supercharger, is that anything over 30% maximum power will eat into mileage. With the EB engines, staying under 2200rpm will net you the best mileage. Accelerating over 2500rpm will worsen mileage as most boost is built up, thus eating more fuel.

Did the dealer examine the vehicle? It could be something as silly as a stuck/dragging caliper. As it is uncommon on such a new vehicle, don't necessarily rule it out. In some cases it makes no noise. If you accelerate into top gear by 50mph and notice a significant loss of speed, then the drive train should be inspected.

As catskinner mentioned, it might be wise to contact Ford directly and see what they have to say. 3K miles, or 5K kms is plenty of break in time. Fords recommendation of 18K might seem steep, but similar fine print applies to oil consumption and the one year comprehensive maintenance (if applicable), etc.

Depending on your geographical location, weather, altitude, tire pressure, weight in the vehicle, etc, all play a factor with fuel economy, or lack there of.

I would call Ford corporate, and while you wait for a response, bug the dealer service manager and keep track of all fuel receipts, mileage, and if you have an on board fuel economy readout, take note of that as well as hand calculating the fill ups on every receipt.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:14   #4 (permalink)

Our 2014 Edge SEL AWD is also a guzzler for city anyways. Usually between 15-17L/100 kms. Just the way it is. On a recent road trip to the USA over about 1300 kms, we averaged 9.6L/100kms which is much better than I anticipated.

Wanna play, gotta pay, plain and simple.

JJ
JJMONIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Edge Forum