Prospective Edge Buyer - MPG Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Edge Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Edge Forum Forum dedicated to the discussion of the Ford Edge.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02   #1 (permalink)

Prospective Edge Buyer - MPG Questions

We will be buying a new crossover SUV in the coming weeks and the Edge with Ecoboost is high on our list. One potential concern is fuel economy.

Online research finds very mixed reviews for MPG.

I will be driving roughly 40,000 miles a year of which 90% will be highway miles. Compensation structure (work vehicle) necessitates a 25mpg average.

I figure the high mileage reduces payback time of Ecoboost cost significantly if EPA estimates are reasonable.

What are some real life Edge owners getting for mpg on their Edge with what engine and driving conditions?
jrsdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 08:59   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Prospective Edge Buyer - MPG Questions

The Edge is a 4000 lb vehicle. The reported ratings are pretty good for a auto that heavy, and even if it's a little less, it's still some pretty good numbers. If you're looking for 25-30 mpg, you'll need to drop about a 1000 lbs. If you're looking for something strong and comfortable that can carry a decent payload, the Edge is probably something along the lines you're looking for.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09   #3 (permalink)

Comfort is high priority for the amount of windshield time I'm looking at. The most payload she'll see regularly is groceries.

If I can be confident in pulling 27-29mpg highway with conservative driving habits then I think the Edge Ecoboost has the edge.
Old 05-26-2013, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

One of our techs just got an F-150 with the V-6 ecoboost, has quite a bit of power, not sure what he gets for mileage, though.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:34   #5 (permalink)

Test drove an Edge Ecoboost this morning and somewhat disappointed. On highway MPG on a short 10 mile run was 27mpg and falling at 70mph. The in town mpg was horrific bringing the average to about 22mpg.

The numbers are somewhat flexible and it's not a complete washout by MPG alone, but I found the Edge to be very narrow for my leg room. I loved the seat more than anything else we've driven, but there isn't enough knee room width wise.

GMC Terrain and Chevy Equinox have a big leg up in fuel economy and comfort for me.

Dealer wants me to try an Explorer with Ecoboost. I'm guessing the economy will suffer even more.

I might see about an extended test drive in the Edge just to be sure.
Old 06-01-2013, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
canuck

You don't want a turbo. Ford means well but all the eco engines I've seen tested haven't even met the city rating in combined driving. If you need a midsize SUV there are better options. The GM Equinox comes to mind and gets a real works 27mpg with the 4cylinder & 6 speed auto from the last test I read. It beat other similarly sized SUVs although it's one of the worst performers in terms of engine HP and acceleration.

The Ford Escape base 2.5L is decent for what it is and will beat 25mpg combined if you drive it mostly highway. Most smaller SUVs are driver based, with smaller back seats than similar sized SUVs of yore as manufacturers try to better driver and front passenger comfort.

Also keep in mind that in 2008, the EPA highway rating started to test vehicles at 60mph. Pre 2007 vehicles were tested at 55mph to obtain the highway mpg rating. Most highways are 65mph+ so it's best to take the city mileage number as your combined rating.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11   #7 (permalink)

Drove the Equinox and really liked it. The Escape is just to cramped for me.

The other one I drove is the Subaru Outback. I like it a lot too, but styling leaves a bit to be desired compared to the Equinox or Edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Edge Forum