Stolen Key - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Edge Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Edge Forum Forum dedicated to the discussion of the Ford Edge.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55   #1 (permalink)

confused Stolen Key

Someone got into my car, stole my wallet and keys. I know I can get another key made but that isn't the problem. I am worried that the person that stole my key is going to come back and take other things. You would think that would be the only reason if he isn't going to take my car. Is there a way for the dealership to assign a different key to unlock my car so that the theif can't get into it again? I don't know what I can do.??

Thanks,

Lara
Simonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 13:40   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Stolen Key

Changing the door locks would be a waste of time and money, That surely won't keep a thief out. You could have a locksmith rekey the ignition lock, but keeping the door and ignition on one key that would fit everything, but your old key won't work the ignition. If the locksmith says he can't do that, find another locksmith. Or, you could have everything rekeyed if that makes you feel more secure.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 20:49   #3 (permalink)
canuck

I wouldn't worry about a returning thief. A smart thief would move on to hunt other vehicles knowing that he might get caught easily if he returns to a vehicle that he just stole. I never keep anything worth more than a few bucks in my vehicles, just for that reason. I'd rather keep my doors unlocked than have a thief see something they want and smash a window, or pop out and key the lock to get into the vehicle, when they can just pull on the handle to realize there's nothing under the blanket I had rested on the rear seat cushions. On my Dodge, all you need is a coat hanger to pop up the lock, lol.

There have been a rash of B&E on vehicles parked at carpool lots and at shopping malls. The hottest item that was taken were GPS systems. The thief would see the suction cup on the window and 80% of the time, the owners would place the GPS unit in a glovebox (unlocked) or in the centre console. Smash and grabs are an easy thing to get away with as most carpool lots in my area have no guards, police that even occasionally drive through the lots, or attendants which makes for easy picking.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 15:56   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I'd worry more about the wallet being stolen, especially with all the identity theft going on in the world today.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:46   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
I'd worry more about the wallet being stolen, especially with all the identity theft going on in the world today.
Your new name is Muhammed Muhammed *****abad. If you LIKE it OR NOT. By the way, he's been convicted for three counts of boosting cars, all older Fords, and four counts of break and enter without successfully stealing anything. Woo hoo.

ID thievery ain't cool by any means. Besides, you'd think you're wife would know you who are, providing she's having a good day!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Edge Forum