2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD - Quite a few problems - need advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Engine Specific Tech For all Ford Engines from Bigblocks to Clevelands.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 18:32   #1 (permalink)

2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD - Quite a few problems - need advice

Hey Guys,

So I'm not a car guy and I'm not trying to speak garage, but I have taken a few guesses and your help would be appreciated. Sorry if I get it wrong. I know how annoying it is when I go to help someone with their computer and they try to tell me what the problem is and it has nothing to do with what they are suggesting.

First problem:
My break squeal even when I do not have my foot on the break. If I put my foot on the break gently, it'll stop. It may not start back up right away after I release the break but it will start up eventually. My breaks also squeal when I am stopping. I've replaced all my break pads and it didn't help. I'm guessing I need a tire alignment perhaps? Not sure.

Second problem:
I have a transmissions leak. It seems to be leaking a lot and I've been backfilling it with more oil. Some pictures of the transmission are attached. I didn't grab a picture, I meant to, but where the front axle meets the tranny on the right side, it is really bad there.

Third Problem:
I also appear to have a leak on my engine where the spark plugs go in the back. You can see the gasket in Engine_5.jpg and it looks like it's leaking from there. I need to replace my spark plugs, would that be a good time to replace this gasket? What's it called?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transmission_1.jpg (104.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission_2.jpg (113.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission_3.jpg (97.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission_4.jpg (122.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission_7.jpg (64.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission_9.jpg (133.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Transmission_10.jpg (139.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Engine_2.jpg (58.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Engine_3.jpg (83.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Engine_5.jpg (63.2 KB, 4 views)
TParis00ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 05:22   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD - Quite a few problems - need advice

Well for your brake noise have you removed wheels and inspected them? Sounds like a simple case of brake wear.
Second problem of the Trans leak is a little tougher. Most of the pictures appear to be of the PTU (power transfer unit). It is essentially the the transfer of power to the rear driveshaft. There are several seals on those that like to fail. Not one you will be able to do at home without the correct seal installers. The oil leak could be the valve cover gasket and would be close while doing the spark plugs. Kind of hard to tell from the picture tho. Maybe clean it off and rein spect after a few miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:37   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

If as you say , you have replaced the pads , would suggest they are not sliding freely in calliper and sticking .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:43   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Found this on same problem ,

New Edge Member

" Thanks for the reply. That was what I thought it might be.

Found out the problem the hard way. Apparently on the EDGE the sliders on the calipers where the pads attach have to be lubed every 5000 miles. If they are not they begin to stick and it puts added wear on the pads and the rotors. Mine was doing this and this maintenance was never brought up to me or is it on the maintenance schedule. At 19/K I got a grinding sound. I took it in and the backside pads were worn off and messed up the rotors. No warning the pads were bad, drove it one day it was fine. The next day got the grinding sound and took it in the following day. This is when I learned about the lube on the sliders. "
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech