Finding the Year on a Ford 400 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Engine Specific Tech For all Ford Engines from Bigblocks to Clevelands.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 22:03   #1 (permalink)

Finding the Year on a Ford 400

I'm an owner of a 73' Gran Torino that i am in the process of restoring. When i purchased the car a few years back, (it was my first car, I'm only 22) I was told that it had a Ford 400 engine in it. I've done some research on it recently to confirm this, however i haven't found a sure-fire way to find the year of the engine. The reason i am curious is because i have read a lot on the different modifications that you can do to the car, but it seems that most of the forums or articles i have read on the motor are from owners of later model trucks or broncos, and i don't know if there is a major difference between those engine years or the earlier years.. So if anyone has any pointers or sources that i can utilize to find the year i would appreciate it.

Thanks
Drholf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 22:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: Finding the Year on a Ford 400

Hi, I can't help you with the year/s of the 400 cu in engine, but what I do remember is that the 400 was considered a smog engine. Instead of calling it a Cleveland, it was called an "M" engine. Ford called it an "M" engine meaning "Modified". Other rumors were that it was called an "M" engine because of where in Canada it was built. In stock form it was not very powerful for it's size, and again, it was because it was made to reduce emissions. Also, if memory serves me correct, the easiest way to tell a 400 M from a 351 Cleveland was the thermostat location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech