Focus 02 - 1.6 Zetec / High Oil Usage! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Engine Specific Tech For all Ford Engines from Bigblocks to Clevelands.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:51   #1 (permalink)
T4i

Focus 02 - 1.6 Zetec / High Oil Usage!

Lo all,

My 1st post on here so be gentle

Got a 2002 Focus 1.6 Zetec Petrol since brand new, never had one problem with it till now. In the 5 years of having it I found that nothing ever needed topping up apart from windscreen washer, checked it monthly for years but nowt ever needed doing so I suppose I became abit slack with checking. Checked the engine oil level using the dipstick last weekend and the dipstick shows no oil at all.

Took it onto the pit at work and emptied the sump (about 1ltr came out) the oil was still brown in colour because it had only been completely flushed with its service in Feb 07 - done about 3,000Miles since then. Tested the oil at work (I work as a lab technician for a lubricant/additive manufactorer) here are the results from the 1ltr that I dropped from the sump.

Sample 1 - Mid stream sample
Sample 2 - End stream sample

Sample 1:

Viscosity - 11.9 Cst @ 100ºC
Density - 0.882 @ 15ºC

Wear Metals

Chromium 1ppm
Lead 12ppm
Nickel 3ppm
Tin 6ppm
Boron 19ppm
Iron 26ppm
Molybdenum 4ppm
Silicon 8ppm
Vanadium 0ppm
Aluminium 1ppm
Copper 21ppm

Additives

Calcium 0.42%
Magnessium 0.009%
Zinc 0.176%
----
Chlorine 0.009%
Sulper 0.485%

Infa-Red scan shows absorption @ 1630.3cm-1 which indicates nitration, also shows slight oxidation because of the 1ltr doing 4x more work to make up for the missing oil. This is also apparent from the 11.9 viscosity when the 5w/30 Semi-snythetic oil I use has a visc of 9.7 cSt in new condition.

Sample 2:

Viscosity - 11.2 Cst @ 100ºC
Density - 0.876 @ 15ºC

Wear Metals

Chromium 1ppm
Lead 10ppm
Nickel 2ppm
Tin 3ppm
Boron 13ppm
Iron 19ppm
Molybdenum 2ppm
Silicon 6ppm
Vanadium 0ppm
Aluminium 0ppm
Copper 14ppm

Additives

Calcium 0.389%
Magnessium 0.005%
Zinc 0.158%
----
Chlorine 0.009%
Sulper 0.477%

Infa-Red scan shows absorption @ 1630.3 which indicates nitration, also shows slight oxidation.

Sample 1 & 2 shows traces of water - I do quite afew short journeys!?!

So......I flushed about 2-3 ltrs of new 5w/30 through my engine and let it drip back out taking all the carbon with it. Filled it back up with brand new 5w/30 and made sure it had all afternoon to settle so I could get it bang on the MAX mark on dipstick. I've been checking the dipstick daily, after 2 days the oil level had dropped afew mm below the MAX mark - quite normal for this to happen as the MAX mark is very much MAX and a engine will burn slightly to reduce it?

After 5-7 days (about 100miles) the oil level is exaclty half way between MIN and MAX. So emptied the oil and tested a 2nd batch, same prodeesure as before - sample 1 & 2.

Sample 1:

Viscosity - 9.4 Cst @ 100ºC
Density - 0.859 @ 15ºC

Wear Metals

Chromium 1ppm
Lead 7ppm
Nickel 0ppm
Tin 2ppm
Boron 5ppm
Iron 7ppm
Molybdenum 1ppm
Silicon 4ppm
Vanadium 0ppm
Aluminium 0ppm
Copper 5ppm
Sodium 3ppm (could be background noise from test equipment)

Additives

Calcium 0.327%
Magnessium 0.000%
Zinc 0.125%
----

Infa-Red scan doesnt really show anything as the oil only did approx 100miles.

Sample 2:

Viscosity - 9.3 Cst @ 100ºC
Density - 0.859 @ 15ºC

Wear Metals

Chromium 1ppm
Lead 5ppm
Nickel 0ppm
Tin 4ppm
Boron 4ppm
Iron 8ppm
Molybdenum 1ppm
Silicon 4ppm
Vanadium 0ppm
Aluminium 0ppm
Copper 6ppm
Sodium 3ppm (could be ackground noise)

Additives

Calcium 0.351%
Magnessium 0.000%
Zinc 0.138%

IR Scan as before, nowt to report.

There seems to be more water in this sample than the sample that had done 3,000 Miles. I would call it more than a trace of water, I mostly test diesel engines so unsure as to water in petrol engines.

As for the car, running sweet, no power loss (or I can't tell if there is!) can't see any smoke from exhaust. No external leak, no wet patches under the cars bed. Inspected under and at the back of engine when over the pit and the only 'damp' patch is the area surronding the sump plug cos i've emptied it over the last week twice!

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I gave the car a blast to 5 junctions away uphill on the motorway.....using mostly 4th gear to try get the engine working hard.

Where can 2ltrs of oil go in 100miles?

The car will have to go in to be fixed but:-

a) I don't wanna get fleeced cos I dont know whats wrong.
b) It's doing my head in not knowing whats wrong.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sorry for such a long post.

T4i
T4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech