Ford Racing Engines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Engine Specific Tech For all Ford Engines from Bigblocks to Clevelands.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which of these engines would be the best choice
4.6L Triton Modular V8 2 100.00%
427 Cobra Engine built on a Z351 block 0 0%
427 Cobra Engine built on a BOSS 351 block 0 0%
5.0L Modular V8 (Coyote) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 12:10   #1 (permalink)

Ford Racing Engines

I think I may have originally posted it in the wrong section of the forums....
I put in "The Pub". Should have posted it here. If there was only some way of deleting it....

Anyways.... here is the link to that thread....

Original thread

And my Original posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
Hey guys,

My first time here. Although I was a Chevy guy, I've noticed that Fords have been growing on me since of late. As of now, I don't belong to any camp... I'm just a gearhead / petrolhead... :)

I'm thinking of doing a project van...
The base is going to be a VW LT(picture attached). Stock it has a 2.4 ltr Diesel engine, but I was thinking of replacing it with an American V8 and suitable tranny. Frankly I love the sound of American V8s, especially Ford's...

Apparently the GM LS engines are the most popular engines right now.
I posted this question in a number of forums and most were advising to use the popular 350 small block or the LS3 (if I wanted fuel injection).
I didn't want to go with the crowd and use a GM engine like most Hot Rodders. I heard how the guys who built the cars for the new Green Hornet movie used a GM ZZ454 engine in it.
I would like actually to go with an engine from Ford Racing.

Anyways I did a search through the Ford racing site and the GM performance site and highlighted a couple of engines that I would like to use.
I've narrowed my choice to these:
  1. 427 Cobra engine built on Z351 block
  2. 5.0L 415HP Mustang modular engine
  3. 427 Cobra engine built on BOSS 351 block
  4. 4.6 Triton V8
  5. GM LS6
  6. GM LS3
  7. GM ZZ427 Big block
  8. GM ZZ454 Big Block

Out of them I much prefer the Ford engines, but stats say that the GM engines are much more easier to deal with when it comes to a full swap.
However unlike GM, which still uses the pushrod design in the their engines, Ford has changed to the Modular DOHC style.

Since I plan to use the engine in a van, I need one with more torque. I heard that the pushrod engines have more torque. I did few calculations on my own, comparing the 4.6 Triton V8 engine in the E-series to the 6.2 Ltr engine in the GM Savana, in torque.
According to my calculations, the Triton produced more torque. I know that the Triton engine is a modular one. So perhaps my calculations are wrong... I really don't know. If only there was some way of confirming it.

Another question is are all the engines in the Ford Racing Catalog... Windsor???
I know that they have FE / Cleveland / Windsor for their pushrod engines...
Which one is which, because according to the catalog, most use the BOSS 302 / 351 blocks....
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
Another one of my requirements in the engine is that I need to have fuel injection. I know its more complicated, but I think its worth it. Makes the engine more fuel efficient.
If I go for a Ford pushrod V8, will it have fuel injection???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lt_1975.jpg (19.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vw_lt.JPG (16.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vwlt35ambu_1.jpg (122.0 KB, 3 views)
knightjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2011, 10:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Racing Engines

Alright...

2 questions....

Are all Ford pushrods in the catalog Windsors??? If not which ones are which??

The second question is if the 4.6L Triton and the new 5.0L Mustang (Coyote) V8 are both modular engines... what is the difference in between them???
knightjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech