58 engine swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 19:01   #1 (permalink)

58 engine swap

I need some info on an engine swap I might be doing. I have in mind a 460 with a C6 trans to drop in my 58 edsel. The engine and trans I found is in a 79 ford van. I've been looking around for info on the net and really can't get a straight answer on this swap. Just want to know if there any adapters out there to make this work or what stock 429/460 mounts will work? If anyone has photos of this done would be appreciated.
edseljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: 58 engine swap

What is wrong with the original engine ? If you change out the engine and transmission it will no longer be original. You have just destroyed a classic. As a collector car it's
worth Nothing compared to what it would be worth if it was original and it is a collector
car. I think that car has a cast iron F.M.X. or a 2 speed " green dot " . the drive shaft
will have to be changed too. What side is the shifter on on the 460 ? Is it the same side as
the original transmission ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 17:24   #3 (permalink)

The original engine blew a head last summer and Jasper engines is screwin me around. I had the heads check at a machine shop and found out that jasper screwed up the heads. I've been trying to find a 352,361,390 engine to drop in that car but its hard to find a decent engine. I had two deals fall through cause the sellers sold the engine underneath me without a call back. I want to drive the car it was either this setup or a 302 and C4 trans. I can change the car back later if I want to. Its the FMX trans in that car but i have to put a floor shifter in it cause my 58 edsel has the electric shift. The car isnt even fully restored yet im driving it as is I dont care how it looks. People that drop 50K into a car and dont drive it cause they dont want anything to happen to it. Dont judge me its my decision to this. Im having fun drivin it as is, 20 years down the road I can make it original again. Its still worth something because its an edsel maybe not much but something at least.
edseljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 15:12   #4 (permalink)

This dude has no idea what he's talking about....Do you want to build your car to sit in a museum? Maybe drive in parades for the 4th of july? The fmx didn't come out till years later. If I were you i'd go FE, they did come with them factory and have alot of potential.. but i'm not...All I can say is the earlier the better if your going stock 460. Are fairlane's the same as edsel frontend wise? Crites has all the mounts if so.

-OLD POST.
falconater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords