Distributor Fiddle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:03   #1 (permalink)

Distributor Fiddle

Anyone ever try this ?
Timing Tips for Ford Distributors
Sounds feasible. But why wouldn't Ford have done this from the start?
geggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 16:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: Distributor Fiddle

That brings back memories. That is a very old trick. We did that when i was 16. There is
also an adjustment in the vacumm advance. Just remove or add washers. Also you can
change the springs in the weights. We used to alter the plugs. We " J " gapped them. Put as many spacers under the carb as you could and still connect the linkage and close the hood. Some used to run drier vent from the top of the carb and put it just behind the engine fan. Others took an old heater motor, one with a blower wheel and put it on top of the carb. switch it on at about 100 M.P.H. Make sure the air blows down the carb. Pump the tires up to 40 lbs. We all had a switch under the gas peddle that shut the generator off when the peddle went to the floor. If some were racing for money on the highway at night. ( we never did that :) they would take the fan blades off. Unbeknow to the other driver. I wired in 2 coils on my 57 312 and had a switch on the dash that shut the ballast resistor off and put full 12 volts to the coils. Some guys ran
6 volt coils and we all had cool cans and electric fuel pumps. And this could go on forever. It's true what they say. What is old is now new. Those were the good old days.
Now we are worried about taxes, mortgages and death.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Now we are worried about taxes, mortgages and death.
Ain't that the truth. Out of curiosity how old are you Chip?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:39   #4 (permalink)

When i wake up in the morning i feel like i'm 107. When i'm under the hood or under the
frame of a car or truck i feel 16 ( until the hurt kicks in the next morning.) I'm building
a 75 Pinto. I'm putting my flathead into it. ( 1936 ) I think that will be the only one in history. I'm 59. I've worked on everything from air compressors to the Wankel motor.
Caterpillar to John Deer. Two years in C.N.'s diesle shop. The only problem with working
there is the smallest wrench in your tool box is one inch. " Mama don't let your babies
grow up to be mechanics ". Tried retiring at home last year but it didn't work. i'm happier
under or in a car or truck. I'm in the garage, she is in the house. o:)
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords