Ford Forums banner

Possibly buying a dedicated LPG Falcon XT. I have a few questions.

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Long time lurker on these forums but never registered. Welcome me! Woohoo!!

Anyway, I'm currently on the hunt for a new car and a long time friend of a relative has a Ford Falcon XT that he 'built' himself to run on dedicated LPG. (He was a mechanic for 40 years but has since retired).

I've been looking at XR6's and honestly had my heart set on one, but this seems like an awesome option as I know I'll have lifetime mechanical support if I buy it through this guy, and LPG is dirt cheap!

Let's get into the questions!

1) XR6 Kit. Is the XR6 bodykit a simple bolt on? The XT doesn't have a cut out for the exhaust, which being a 20 year old male is a must for me. It would honestly look stupid having an xr6 rear and xt skirts and front bar. If I purchase a kit from an xr6 how hard is the install? Can the foglights be attached to a switch somewhere in the car?

2) Somewhat continuing on from the last question, exhaust. Can I still get a nice note changing the exhaust on an LPG car? Are there any dangers to doing this on LPG?

3) Airbox. I've heard LPG + aftermarket airbox can explode. Would a growler or pod be out of the question? What about a k&n panel filter?

4) Now! Before you roast me, here me out. I'm asking this 100% theoretically. COULD the car still be driven hard? i.e fast acceleration, burnouts, etc.? I've heard this can cause the LPG system to explode especially if bashing off the limiter (which I wouldn't do anyway.)

5) Mods. Can I still modify this car running on LPG? Camshafts, extractors, intake, etc?

That's pretty much it! Thanks for advance for reading and taking the time to help out!

:)

p.s the car is $3000, ready for RWC and has 102,000KM on the clock.

See less See more
#3 ·
First we need to know which XT as they were the base model from BA to FG (the base model in the FG-X was the XR6). Then we need to which aftermarket LPG system is fitted (Impco, Vialle, Apollo, Sprintgas etc). But generally you can move all the bits from an XT to an XR6; albeit it's not a trivial job changing the rear bumper, front bar and grill etc. LPG airboxes did use to explode from backfires but later models have special spring loaded tops and LPG airbox spring fasteners are available to retrofit e.g. GENUINE FORD EF EL FALCON LPG GAS AIR BOX SPRING SET | eBay . Answers to 2, 4 and 5 depend on which gas system is fitted but generally less engine mods are marketed for LPG vehicles. Generally though the LPG cars can be driven just as hard as the others although they won't match an equivalent petrol fueled Ford performance (but only by a barely noticeable smidgen). The other thing you need to consider is LPG tanks need to be inspected and tested every 10 years and then replaced periodically (when they fail the inspection or test) and there may be difficulty getting parts in future for any LPG system that isn't mainstream or wasn't sold as OEM by Ford (i.e. Vialle).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.