Ford Forums banner

2016 Ford F-150 vs Ram 1500 EcoDiesel vs Chevy Silverado

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  PaddyD 
#1 ·

The differences that set apart the performance of the modern crop of domestic half-ton pickup trucks are minuscule.

Each will handle hard work and the strain of towing and hauling. But it isn�t about whether or not the work gets done, but rather how the work gets done, that separates one truck from the next. And it�s these small differences that can bring in customers with cash in hand.

In partnership with the Canadian Truck King Challenge, we gathered together the three domestic half-ton pickup trucks to pit them against one another in an effort to find those differences.

Like with every AutoGuide.com pickup truck test, this isn�t a beauty contest. Each one of the trucks was hooked up to a 6,000-pound trailer for a towing test, loaded with 1,000 lbs worth of payload in the bed and driven through a moderate off-road course to replicate real-world conditions (all in the pouring rain, as our photos will attest).

Another part of our testing includes hooking up a data recorder to the OBDII port of each pickup that accurately tracks fuel economy, while empty, towing and hauling.

Read on for the detailed fuel economy numbers and for our findings on each of the truck.
Read more about the 2016 Ford F-150 vs Ram 1500 EcoDiesel vs Chevy Silverado at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good read. I will agree the 150 steering is very light and about the only thing I don't like. They didn't compare equal trucks tho. Since trying to compare towing should have used the Chevy with the 6.2L. And hard to compare any gas engine to a diesel. Then to compare the diesel mileage to a gas is also a little biased. In the end gas seems to be a cheaper option on a truck. The Diesel engine adds a premium along with higher fuel costs(.50 a gallon by me) and generally higher maintenance costs. So it gets better MPG the total cost of ownership is more until you get well into the 100k mile range when it evens out.

#3 ·
I noticed the differences as well. Can only assume some sort of bias when pitting two vehicles that are mismatched. A few years ago, I read a match up between a base Mustang and a high end Hyundai Genesis and the hat got tipped to the Hyundai. Of course it would cost you something to the tune of 12K more for that hat tip, but I guess the writer made his point.

#4 ·
Even the price as tested. Used a cheap Chevy and mid range dodge with diesel. Make that dodge the what Laramie edition? And price would be just as much. I have seen this go in fords favor also. Just wish they would compare all equal vehicles. The winner is the winner whoever the maker.

#5 ·
All I can say is trucks are WAYYY to pricey these days. A couple days ago the wife and I were walking through the mall and there was a new Ford F150 Platinum parked in there. Price? $64,000.00!!! Who in their right mind pays that kind of money for a pickup??? I'd be scared to put anything at all in the thing for fear of scratching it.

#8 ·
While it is not cheap and I'm not saying I particularly like it. Everything has and will continue to go up. If you are a homeowner you would be extremely angry if your home hasn't tripled or quadrupled (if not more)in value since 1973. If you had a retirement account in 73 imagine what you would expect. Same with your pay. It always has and always will go up. I purchased my house in 1999. I paid 74,500. It has doubled in value since then. It's just the way it is. If you own it you want it to go up. If you are looking to buy it you want it to stay cheap.

#9 ·
Well, I guess everything is relative. That Ranger my dad paid 3 grand for back in 73 was the basic working man's truck of the day. Didn't even have an FM radio, but then it was a truck to be used as a truck. These days it seems as though trucks have become luxury sedans with a bed on the back. As for things going up. The fact that the "average" base line truck with no bells and whistles goes at a starting average of about 25K and goes up from there. So, when you compare the money the same base rig today costs vs then shows just how far the dollar has fallen in purchase power. It takes $5.52 in 2015 to equal the purchasing power of $1.00 in 1973. When you compare the inflation rates vehicles really haven't went up that much. More like our dollar is shite these days. Regardless of cost I have always prefered a Ford truck to the other big two and I have owned all three over the years. The Dodge being the absolute worst of the three.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.