Last Mercury Grand Marquis Rolls Off the Line - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Forum News & Polls > Ford News & Ford Forum News
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford News & Ford Forum News This section contains any Ford related news as well as news related to the FordForums.com website. Only Administrators may start new threads in this section.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34   #1 (permalink)
Moderators

Last Mercury Grand Marquis Rolls Off the Line

It's official, the very last Mercury has now left the building. On Tuesday, January 4th at 8:00 am, said vehicle, a 2011 Grand Marquis, finally rolled off the line at the St. Thomas plant, which has been building these body-on-frame behemoths for 25 years.

Originally the car was slated to be completed before the new year, but delays in parts shipments, caused by severe weather in Southwestern Ontario, pushed production into the first days of the new year.

Even until the very end, the Grand Marquis remained a highly profitable vehicle for Lincoln-Mercury dealers as well as the best selling car in the lineup. As was probably expected, there was little fanfare or celebration, as the car was rolled on to the transporter, to be delivered as part of a fleet order.

Although the Merc represented the last Grand Marquis built at St Thomas, it isn't quite the end of Panther chassis production. Ford Crown Victorias will continue to be assembled there, primarily for police and taxi fleets, until September, when the plant is scheduled to close.

More: Last Mercury Grand Marquis Rolls Off the Line on AutoGuide.com
AutoGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 12:08   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Last Mercury Grand Marquis Rolls Off the Line

" the Grand Marquis remained a highly profitable vehicle for Lincoln-Mercury dealers as well as the best selling car in the lineup. " Not up to speed on whats going on with those cars , but seems strange to discontinue going on those facts . Is there a new model replacing it or is there some other reason ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 22:33   #3 (permalink)

That sucks! Well I guess not everyone of them can be perfect. At least they were doing a good job checking everything. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed without too much down time. Just remember to start the lemon law clock. Hope it does not get to that point but it's a total of 30 days out of service in the first year of ownership or after 4 times in for the same problem. I've got my fingers crossed for you that they get it fixed quick. Makes me remember the days of my 6.0 where I think the dealer had it more than I ever did.
Kevinbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
" the Grand Marquis remained a highly profitable vehicle for Lincoln-Mercury dealers as well as the best selling car in the lineup. " Not up to speed on whats going on with those cars , but seems strange to discontinue going on those facts . Is there a new model replacing it or is there some other reason ?
The entire Mercury brand has been discontinued and the factory making the Panther cars (GM, Town Car, Crown Vic) is being closed.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseP71 View Post
The entire Mercury brand has been discontinued and the factory making the Panther cars (GM, Town Car, Crown Vic) is being closed.
Thanks for info .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 20:47   #6 (permalink)

Very sad.

A moment of silence please.

My first Mecury was a 1969 Cougar some guy gave me. I sold it for $150 in the late 70s and the people buying it where doing cartwheels and jumping up and down when they looked at the engine.I guess I screwed up on that one as usual.
Years later my lady friend just HAD to have a '73 Cougar. We kept it until recently. I always felt so superior to Mustangs with the standard leather,standard 351 Cleveland, 9" rear,rim-blow horn switch,sequential tail lights,AC,tilt,tachometer, FMX Auto Trans, etc etc. Just sold it in near mint condition except for a bad rod bearing,with 210K on it for $550 to a movie producer guy.(still kicking myself on that one too)
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Forum News & Polls > Ford News & Ford Forum News