Transmission fluid change or not? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Freestyle | Ford Flex | Taurus X
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Freestyle | Ford Flex | Taurus X Forum for the discussion of the Ford Flex, Ford Freestyle and Taurus X crossover.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 11:26   #1 (permalink)

Transmission fluid change or not?

I have a 2004 Ford Freestar with 113,000 miles on it. In the summer, we use this van to pull a small enclosed trailer that weighs about 1,700 pounds fully loaded (80 miles round trip, 2 times per week). I don't have a lot of the maintenance records on this vehicle, so I don't know if the transmission has been serviced.

I've been doing some reading about high mileage vehicles, and how it can be counter-productive to change the fluid. Some people reported transmission failure shortly after a fluid change at high mileage.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 12:27   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Transmission fluid change or not?

In my opinion , it's always advisable to change ATF and filter , but others may disagree .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 13:12   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Unless the fluid is VERY brown, I'd change it. Here's a procedure to get the most replaced. http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_F...Procedures.pdf
Old 04-08-2011, 15:27   #4 (permalink)

Bert it the nail right on the head... The transmission has seals, valves, and little bitty pins and ball bearings all over the place that depend on hydraulic pressure to work efficiently. These parts break down and weard down with temperature and hydraulic fluid breakdown. When the fluid breaks down to a certain point (Brown or worse, smelling so aweful it makes you cringe), then your parts are as well, so when you put nice clean thick fluid back in, these parts cant take it. Especially FWD vehicles and 4WD vehicles.So, Pink to red, change it, Brown to black, rebuild it. Believe it or not, its only a couple hundred bucks to drop the valve body and replace these parts before they total your transmission. So if its brown or worse, Save up about 500 or so, and tell them its been to long since its been changed and you need the valve body rebuilt and new bearings and seals. Then you will be good to go for quite some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Freestyle | Ford Flex | Taurus X